Room to room... - Page 2

Room to room...

This is a discussion on Room to room... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; don't waste your money on wonderammo, glaser will still penetrate a half dozen sheets of sheetrock. The only reliable way not to put a bullet ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Room to room...

Membership Revoked Array clubsoda22's Avatar
    don't waste your money on wonderammo, glaser will still penetrate a half dozen sheets of sheetrock. The only reliable way not to put a bullet in the next apartment is to hit your target. Bodies stop bullets. When i selected my apartment i kept this in mind. I'm in a quad, on the upper lefthand corner. The structure is brick. There is a firewall between me and the apartment next to mine. Not only does this mean i can play music louder, but bullets won't penetrate a firewall.

Question Wonder Ammo

Quote Originally Posted by clubsoda22
    don't waste your money on wonderammo, glaser will still penetrate a half dozen sheets of sheetrock. The only reliable way not to put a bullet in the next apartment is to hit your target. Bodies stop bullets.
    Actually I'm less concerned on the street about the legendary thru-n-thru (TNT) gunshot wound than I am a clean miss and the much more likely richochet that hit's an innocent bystander. Glasers and MagSafe are MUCH less likely to "bounce" and if they do, it will more likely be in fragments than as a solid chunk and therefore less likely to be fatal. In fact in my home (built in 1936 of POURED concrete) it's bunker-like construction would lead me to use a more standardized JHP round like a Hydra-Shok.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Come to think of it, people who have never shot a gun in their life are not going to miss in a space where the longest possible shot is 22 feet.

But still...

Thumbs down Missing the shot at 5 feet

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    Come to think of it, people who have never shot a gun in their life are not going to miss in a space where the longest possible shot is 22 feet. But still...
    Not true. I have had gun students who are complete novices miss a man sized silouhette target at a range of FIVE FEET. This usually occurs because the student tries to dramatically over compensate for perceived recoil approaching....even with a small caliber firearm.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    Bumper I agree and I disagree with you again.

I agree it's folly to think you're "safe" anywhere. I have no way to objectively quantify this, but it seems that in areas where crimes are less common, they are instead more severe.

However I moved out of a ghetto about 9 months ago. I couldn't walk to my mailbox without someone trying to sell me pot. Police sirens wailed all day and all night. I think I'm much better off where I am.

Avoidance is what I'm all about. Moving out of that place was the best thing I ever did for my personal security, much more valuable than any self defense tool I might buy or any technique I might learn.
    Well, I agree and disagree with you as well. What I was trying to pint out is that statistically, because you live in a safe neighborhood, does not make you safe. You may be safer in that the severity of crime may be less, but may more likely be hit by crime. But, your statement that your area has "very low crime rates" is most important. Don't, however, let your guard down or get lured into believing you re safe. Get good locks (deadbolts), an apartment alarm, possibly a timer for turning on a porch light and or lamp visible through a window, small radio near the door when you are away. You might also consider, if you are in a ground floor apartment, some dowel rods to cut and put in the tracks of your windows. Take care of those details first and you will have plenty of time to respond to the threat and get to an area that is easy to defend and has a good backstop in case you do have to shoot. Odds are though that the BG will move on to someone else's apartment and leave yours alone. Prevention is more important than hiding weapons in your apartment like Easter eggs.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Alway thought a decent 20 Ga with #4-9 shot would work best in a thin wall area. The shot will stick in the wall borad and the wad will do the rest...at around 15-20 feet....the only disatvantage you'll have is the longer BBL of the shotgun.....Might wake up the neighbors though......
    Too bad they never made a good supressor for that type of weapon <Kidding here>
    Maybe the Winchester Sub-Sonic ammo in 147 Gr might be a better choice, as the velocity drops considerably after 35 ft

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links