Room to room...

This is a discussion on Room to room... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here's something I've turned over in my mind before and I've never seen a good discussion over. This seems like a good of a place ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: Room to room...

  1. #1
    VIP Member Array Euclidean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,213

    Room to room...

    Here's something I've turned over in my mind before and I've never seen a good discussion over. This seems like a good of a place as any to ask.

    I have adapted some personal security tools and techniques in my life to reflect my status as an apartment dweller, one of which has been to sit down and draw a detailed map of my dwelling place and figure out which lanes of fire are safe and which are likely to injure an innocent bystander.

    The wall between these units, although soundproof, is an illusion. Even a .22 would penetrate one of these units from end to end.

    To that end I've figured out that there are exactly two directions I could fire and not violate the fourth rule of firearms safety because I know there is no good reason a person would be there, and I know there is a backstop. It's not even safe to point anything straight up as this would violate the second and fourth rule.

    Fortunately it works out these are also the directions from which an invader would enter.

    I further take the precaution of using JHP 110 grain .357 cartridges. I favor 125 grain loads normally, but I feel stepping it back some is necessary to insure that my backstops (steel storage buildings full of maintenance equipment with wooded lots and then dumpsters behind them) will stop a stray round.

    A long gun seems to be out of the question with my current arsenal, and would be difficult to keep in a "ready to go" condition in any event. For the longest time I thought the use of a long gun for my personal protection in my abode was simply not feasible if I wished to remain safe.

    Let me be upfront about this: I have made arrangements and have discretely scattered non firearms about my small space for the unlikely event someone would be in a "prohibited space", i.e. a space where I could not ethically point a muzzle.

    I've been told that two layers of sheet rock should stop frangible 5.56 catridges or certain 20 gauge loads. To be honest the thought of a shotgun in this situation does not appeal to me, but a light rifle round seems feasible.

    See when it's your own house, and you don't literally share walls with your neighbors, you have a lot more control over the situation and you can safely use a very effective firearm. But when you can't know where the people in the next unit over are physically located at all times, you have to plan a little more and look at using less effective tools in the interest of the safety of others. I figure as long as I use a handgun caliber, and use non-FMJ catridges that aren't loaded too hot, I am obeying the four rules.

    I probably should get some Glasers, but I don't understand how I can expect them to perform to be honest. I want to stop aggressors not make them angry.

    My query is, is there a long gun for this situation, be it a rifle or a shotgun? I have even considered if a carbine in a pistol caliber could be the answer.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    Senior Member Array Prospector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    615

    Red face

    I've done the apartment dwelling from time to time and was also concerned about the possibility of having to fire my weapon inside. I've noticed lately that Beretta has a new line of carbines (Cx-4 Storm) that are short, would be easily handled and comes in 9mm .40 S&W and .45 acp. I would think that just based on the muzzle velocities, the .45 could be a potential choice for indoors....yeah, its gonna go thru the sheetrock too.
    Attached Images

  4. #3
    Member Array armoredman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    484
    Glasers work, but are very very expensive, and testing them properly will bankrupt you....
    Same with Magsafe.
    Keep doing what you're doing - sounds good!
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

  5. #4
    Member Array mchasal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    148
    There are some interesting non-scientific studies that some folks have performed that show that 5.56/.223 rounds have LESS wall penetration than even 9mm. It seems contrary to what you might assume, but apparently the light 5.56 rounds destabilize easily and come apart once they start yawing. This is consistent with what I know of the way this round is designed to wound. Here are a couple of links to peruse:

    http://www.olyarms.com/?page=223articles (Though the chart in the Gunsite article seems to contradict the text)

    http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i...p/t-21397.html (at the bottom)

    Most of the tests seem to be geared toward free standing homes with exterior walls used. Since you are in an apartment, you may want to consider some of the frangible type rounds which shouldn't penetrate much wall material at all. Something like the Glaser Safety Slug or PMC Green might be the answer.

    They can be pricey, the Glaser's are around $20 for 6. I suppose if I needed more than 6 rounds in a situation, it's time to switch to more traditional ammo anyway. The PMC stuff is significantly cheaper, but hasn't been around as long.

    Mike
    I am not a Lawyer, LEO, or Special Forces Operator.
    The writings above are not burdened by trivialities such as research, experience or facts. However, it is on the Internet, so it must be true.
    InstructorCommunity, forum for instructors.
    The Threadless Nut, my blog

  6. #5
    Administrator
    Array QKShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Off Of The X
    Posts
    35,093

    Exclamation Euclidean

    Unfortunately you will never be able to pre~predict from exactly direction your aggressive threat will come once the SHTF. It is impossible for you to know (in advance) exactly what direction you will need to shoot toward.
    Rule #1 then becomes to throw out Rules # 2, 3, 4, & 5.
    Buy Glaser Safety Slugs. They are EXTREMELY INEXPENSIVE compared to court costs, medical bills, lawyer fees, & an impending civil suit.
    I've tested them myself years ago. It cost me a pile of my own money to test them. They do work very well for their intended purpose.
    Please feel free to benefit from my personal pile of expended Hard Earned American Dollars.
    To this day I carry a spare mag loaded with Glaser Safety Slugs in the event that I find myself in a situation or environment like yours.
    Living in an abode with occupied thin walls ~ it's your moral & human obligation not to penetrate those walls & harm innocents even if the potential risk be greater to yourself. You will be well protected with GLASER.
    I honestly believe that you have very few realistic choices ~ indoors surrounded by occupied thin walls, floor & ceiling.
    They are as follows:
    (1) ~ Move
    (2) ~ Buy a pellet Gun
    (3) ~ Switch to Pepper Spray or a Taser
    (4) ~ Harden YOUR interior walls, floors & ceilings
    (4) ~ Buy Glaser Safety Slugs.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

  7. #6
    VIP Member Array ExSoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Coral Gables, FL
    Posts
    5,776

    Question Glasers

    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    Unfortunately you will never be able to pre~predict from exactly direction your aggressive threat will come once the SHTF. It is impossible for you to know (in advance) exactly what direction you will need to shoot toward.
    Rule #1 then becomes to throw out Rules # 2, 3, 4, & 5.
    Buy Glaser Safety Slugs. They are EXTREMELY INEXPENSIVE compared to court costs, medical bills, lawyer fees, & an impending civil suit.
    I've tested them myself years ago. It cost me a pile of my own money to test them. They do work very well for their intended purpose.
    Please feel free to benefit from my personal pile of expended Hard Earned American Dollars.
    To this day I carry a spare mag loaded with Glaser Safety Slugs in the event that I find myself in a situation or environment like yours.
    Living in an abode with occupied thin walls ~ it's your moral & human obligation not to penetrate those walls & harm innocents even if the potential risk be greater to yourself. You will be well protected with GLASER.
    I honestly believe that you have very few realistic choices ~ indoors surrounded by occupied thin walls, floor & ceiling.
    They are as follows:
    (1) ~ Move
    (2) ~ Buy a pellet Gun
    (3) ~ Switch to Pepper Spray or a Taser
    (4) ~ Harden YOUR interior walls, floors & ceilings
    (4) ~ Buy Glaser Safety Slugs.
    I like Glaser SILVER but have my doubts as to the efficacy of Glaser Blue. I always carry a full mag for my Sig P245 of MagSafe (Super SWAT load) in my primary mag as well as a mixed bag of Glaser Silver or MagSafe in the backup mag. If I feel the need to carry another backup mag (like if I'm on a long distance trip) those are all Federal Hydra-Shok. I also like RBCD ammo. Ever hear of a round from a 45ACP moving at over 2000fps? Whoa.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

  8. #7
    Lead Moderator
    Array rocky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    15,844
    Seems 5.56mm rounds tend to deflect uncontrollably after passing thru 2 layers of sheetrock. A pistol caliber carbine would probably work better. As it has more mass to the bullet and less deflection. Ruger makes a carbine, I think Marlin does too. I like the carbine idea for the fact it would be more accurate. A shotgun with #8 shot might be a best bet for less over penetration.

  9. #8
    VIP Member Array ExSoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Coral Gables, FL
    Posts
    5,776

    Question Rifle or Shotgun?

    Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    Here's something I've turned over in my mind before and I've never seen a good discussion over. This seems like a good of a place as any to ask. My query is, is there a long gun for this situation, be it a rifle or a shotgun? I have even considered if a carbine in a pistol caliber could be the answer.
    Well established defensive doctrine says that you use a handgun to give you time and space to get to something more powerful. Yet I would counter this by saying that use of a long arm in a home environment is more of a danger in that while moving from room to room, you may encounter dangerous choke points like corners or doorways. Use of a long gun here might telegraph your presence by leading with it thru that point and that might give the BG the opportunity to ambush you by grabbing the barrel or taking a better position of cover himself and just popping you when you stick your head through the choke point.

    So if I were going to "fort up" and wait for somebody to come to me while I awaited the arrival of the cavalry, then I'd go with a Benelli Shotgun (I rather LOVE my M121). But if I have to move about to say..... rescue a family member and return them to the "safe room" or such then I'd move with my dedicated "Home Defense Handgun" in my case a Sig P220 45 with a SureFire X200 gun light and a set of CT Lasergrips. At least that's my next purchase. Until then I'll be my Sig P245 with a SureFire 6P in a Harries grip configuration.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

  10. #9
    Administrator
    Array QKShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Off Of The X
    Posts
    35,093

    Thumbs up ExSoldier762 Nice addition Thanks!

    The only reason that I did not mention any of the other frangible type ammo is that I have not personally tested it. When it comes to ammo choices ~ I try never to suggest anything that I've not ever tested myself.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

  11. #10
    VIP Member Array ExSoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Coral Gables, FL
    Posts
    5,776

    Exclamation Ammo testing

    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    The only reason that I did not mention any of the other frangible type ammo is that I have not personally tested it. When it comes to ammo choices ~ I try never to suggest anything that I've not ever tested myself.
    I agree, that's why I have compiled over a long period of time a fair amount of Glaser Silver and MagSafe and some RBCD to test in the 45's I do purchase. I need to know if they feed & extract flawlessly and where they print on the target at various ranges before I start to carry them full time. There ARE some good deals to be had on both Glaser and MagSafe out there. I have found them for $12 for 8rds. NOT cheap but not a killer either, especially if you're going to just test fire and carry.

    Try these links: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=55751
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=55753
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

  12. #11
    Member Array mchasal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    148
    Another possibility, if you're concerned about the expense of testing the high dollar frangible ammo in your auto, is to use a revolver. There's really not much that the ammo can do to make a revolver malfunction, so I would be pretty confident in a particular round after only a small amount of testing to verify POI and such.

    Of course, this only makes sense financially if you already have a revolver in a reasonable defensive caliber.

    Mike
    I am not a Lawyer, LEO, or Special Forces Operator.
    The writings above are not burdened by trivialities such as research, experience or facts. However, it is on the Internet, so it must be true.
    InstructorCommunity, forum for instructors.
    The Threadless Nut, my blog

  13. #12
    VIP Member Array Euclidean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,213
    I use my 686 as my residential defense gun. My worry isn't the ammo cycling (one reason I like revolvers), my worry was "How can a round purpose built to NOT penetrate feasibly work?"

    I mean come on, a real handgun catridge has a lot of trouble taking someone down, how can I reasonably expect a Glaser to be any better than whacking someone over the head with a WA-1 stick?

    What I'm doing actually seems adequate, and I've taken reasonable precautions by making a drawing and a plan and arranging things in my living space to hinder a would be invader. I put a heavy piece of furniture and a safe in front of my bedroom window so the first thing encountered is a series of obstacles, and I cut a 2x2 to the appropriate length and wedged it between the frame of the sliding glass patio door and the wall. The frame of this door is surprisingly strong so you'd have to break the glass to get in. The front door is hollow core and can't really be helped but the 5-10 seconds it would take to break down would be noisy and would give me more than enough time.

    Plus I live in the most expensive place I can afford in a very safe area with very low crime rates. The likelihood of needing all this in place is very small to begin with.

    Apparently it would indeed be wise to look at Glasers however. It seems I've dismissed them prematurely.

  14. #13
    DC Founder
    Array Bumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    20,045
    Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    Plus I live in the most expensive place I can afford in a very safe area with very low crime rates. The likelihood of needing all this in place is very small to begin with.
    Better rethink that logic, Euc, BGs have figured out that the more expensive the neighborhood, the better the "stuff". If you live in a "crack house neighborhood" you would certainly get some burglaries and robberies, but statistically they hit the middle to upper middle class that can afford good "stuff" but don't always have alarms and such....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

  15. #14
    Member Array mchasal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    I use my 686 as my residential defense gun. My worry isn't the ammo cycling (one reason I like revolvers), my worry was "How can a round purpose built to NOT penetrate feasibly work?"
    Ha, I should have looked at your avatar before suggesting a revolver as an "alternative" ;)

    Yes, as with any round, you would have to gather enough data to feel confident that it would perform for your intended purpose. If that data is readily available, or available data is not satisfactory, you would end up having to do that testing yourself, at considerable expense with the frangible ammo.

    Using a revolver just saves you from expending the 200+ rounds that a lot of folks feel is the minimum to trust a round's function in an auto.

    Here's a bit of existing info:

    http://yarchive.net/gun/ammo/glaser_ss.html (mixed results)
    http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs5.htm (this one is not favorable)
    http://www.impactsites2000.com/site3/magsafe.htm (favorable, but I think it may be biased)

    I guess, just like anything else, you have to do a risk assessment. Are you more likely to fail to stop an attacker by using the frangibles, or are you more likely to injure an innocent by not using them? Of course, there's no way to really answer that, you just have to make your personal decision.

    You could compromise and load the first 2 or 3 in the cylinder as frangibles. Then, you can move up to traditional ammo if those fail, and then call in air support.

    Mike
    I am not a Lawyer, LEO, or Special Forces Operator.
    The writings above are not burdened by trivialities such as research, experience or facts. However, it is on the Internet, so it must be true.
    InstructorCommunity, forum for instructors.
    The Threadless Nut, my blog

  16. #15
    VIP Member Array Euclidean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,213
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumper
    Better rethink that logic, Euc, BGs have figured out that the more expensive the neighborhood, the better the "stuff". If you live in a "crack house neighborhood" you would certainly get some burglaries and robberies, but statistically they hit the middle to upper middle class that can afford good "stuff" but don't always have alarms and such....
    Bumper I agree and I disagree with you again.

    I agree it's folly to think you're "safe" anywhere. I have no way to objectively quantify this, but it seems that in areas where crimes are less common, they are instead more severe.

    However I moved out of a ghetto about 9 months ago. I couldn't walk to my mailbox without someone trying to sell me pot. Police sirens wailed all day and all night. I think I'm much better off where I am.

    Avoidance is what I'm all about. Moving out of that place was the best thing I ever did for my personal security, much more valuable than any self defense tool I might buy or any technique I might learn.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. What room for a safe room? Kids bedroom or mine?
    By skunkworks in forum Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: March 8th, 2012, 09:02 PM
  2. There is no more room at the Inn.
    By farronwolf in forum Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: December 15th, 2010, 01:57 PM
  3. vault / gun room / safe room questions
    By friesepferd in forum Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: April 13th, 2010, 04:13 PM
  4. The Men's Room
    By mercop in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: July 9th, 2009, 09:18 PM
  5. Gun room
    By raevan in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: January 31st, 2008, 07:53 AM

Search tags for this page

rbcd ammo test

Click on a term to search for related topics.