M1A Questions

This is a discussion on M1A Questions within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have spent a long time trying to figure out what should be my first centerfire rifle. I looked at many FALs, AKs, AR-15s, AR-10s, ...

Thread: M1A Questions

M1A Questions

I have spent a long time trying to figure out what should be my first centerfire rifle. I looked at many FALs, AKs, AR-15s, AR-10s, M1 Garands, M1 Carbines, Mini-14s, newer .223 black rifles like the FS2000, XCR, and Sig 556. In the end I have decided on a Springfield Armory M1A. Iím looking at the Socom 16 or maybe the Scout Squad. Its use is for fun at the range, maybe some hog hunting/deer hunting, and maybe some tactical carbine courses. Plus its always good to have a rifle around just incase the SHTF. 308 should be easy enough to find in that situation. And who knows when and if a ban on semi-auto rifles will occur.

I plan so drop the Socom 16 into a Sage EBR chassis. I just canít get the inmage of this out of my head and have loved it since I first saw one. I donít need it, but I am tired of settling for anything less than what I consider to be exactly what I want when it comes to guns. If I have to wait and save then thatís what Iíll do. I also plan to add an Aimpoint and maybe a 3x magnifier.

So here are my questions. What is the accuracy difference at 100 yards between the Socom 16 and Scout Squad (take into account that the Sage EBR is equal to having the rifle bedded). Now that the Socom has been out so long should I be concerned about reliability issues? And does anyone have experience with the Sage EBR chassis? Is the pistol grip comfortable? Is the trigger reach too long? And would you rather have the chassis that uses a Tango Down AR grip and VLTOR stock? I like the AR style stock, but I am concerned that if I ever want to add a scope that I wonít be able to get a good cheek weld.
    Yeah I like Glocks, wanna fight about it!

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    In my experiences with the Socom, it was very accurate. Xrings and 9 were no problem at 100 yards, past that the sights are a bit coarse for more accurate shooting.

As with any other collapsible stock design, the cheek weld sucks...they are designed to be carried...not shot.

Keep in mind that the real advantage to having the short barreled platform is for portability and quick first shot advantage...this is where the scout style scope is a real advantage. Using a traditional mount that screws to the side of the receiver and uses a full sized scope will really hinder the usefulness of the rifle. If you feel like you need that, then you need to use the full sized rifle.

For the uses you have listed,(hog/deer hunting,plinking or a SHTF rifle), it would be an excellent gun to have...one could do much worse. I would go with either a low powered scope or a red dot mount....prefering the red dot. It is qiuck,very accurate and deadly.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Everything hot guns said.

I don't think you will have any reliability problems, it is built on a well proven platform.

My only complaint with them is that they are so stinking dang heavy.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Senior Moderator

My SOCOM target at 100 yards and I SUCKED!! I had never shot the SOCOM before and it took a little getting used to after the M-4.

It can do what you need it to.

Love my M1A Scout Squad, with mahoghany stock, Harris Bipod, CMI mags and Aimpoint 5000 XD 2X scope mounted halfway down the barrel. (I think Aimpoint is up to Model 9000's now. I like the 2X power scope versions.).
    I don't think you'll see any real difference in accuracy between any of the M1A models at 100 yards.
    Yes, it's heavy. But, at 58 years old, and I lift weights and excercise, it still feels like my M14 at 18 in basic training. At 500 yards I can still repeatedly hit a man size target, no problem.
    "There is no such thing as too much ammo. Unless you're swimming!"

I've had my Scout for about 4 years now and love it. I too was torn between it and the SOCOM, but in the end I went with the longer barrel. I believe the SOCOM is better on the recoil though. Previous posters were correct about the weight. It's a bit tough hunting pigs with a fully loaded (20 rnd) magazine plus optics. I had a chance to check out a scout with the Sage stock and it seems like overkill for my needs. It was a bit too cumbersome and extra heavy. I've been looking into that Vltor CAS-14 cluster rail however. It will basically make my scout into a SOCOM II.

Here's a reply to an email I sent Springfield in case you care...

Mike,

The cluster rail will work on any standard barrel and fiberglass stock M1A. We do not sell it outright but you can send your rifle in and we will install the extended rail for $469 plus $50 installation and $25 return shipping or the standard rail is $399 plus the $50 and $25. If you decide to send the rifle in please give customer service a call at 800-680-6866 and they will issue you a return number.

Have a great day!

Dawn Oleson
    Dealer Assistance & Response Team
    Springfield, Inc.
    dawn@springfield-armory.com

One of the reasons I've been looking into the cluster rail is to get my optics a bit lower. I currently have the SA 3rd gen scope mount and it's really just too high for me. Even if I build up the cheekpiece it's still not right. The 3rd gen mount does let you see your irons though. The cluster rail will bring down my scope a bit more (about a 1/2 inch)

Hope I didn't go too off track for you. I think whichever you choose you'll be happy with it.

-Rug

Ultimak and Fulton Armory both make replacment railed handguards. Check them out.
    Yeah I like Glocks, wanna fight about it!

Links