I went and done it! New Bushmaster on the way.

This is a discussion on I went and done it! New Bushmaster on the way. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've thought about getting an AR for a long time and today finally ordered a Bushmaster M4 A3. I should have it in a day ...

Thread: I went and done it! New Bushmaster on the way.

I've thought about getting an AR for a long time and today finally ordered a Bushmaster M4 A3. I should have it in a day or two.

For years I've been trying to talk myself out of an AR mainly due to cost. This is why I bought a Mini-14 a few years ago. I found a good deal on one for $475nib. I would have a .223 carbine that would do what I needed for half of what an AR would be I figured this would satisfy my AR cravings on the cheap. I was wrong. My mini is a tough reliable rifle but just lacks something. It's accuracy is OK at best and lets face it an M4 based AR just looks much cooler.

I then bought a Saiga 7.62x39 for $199. I figured now I have a rifle thats almost an AK and can digest that cheap (at least at that time) 7.62x39 steel cased ammo. Problem is it's not an AK. That brought me to my Yugoslavian M-70 for $425. Now I'm set I figure. I have a true AK platform. Between these two commie rifles and the Ruger surely I can get by with out an AR.

I was convinced for a while. Then the NRA convention came to town.
    AR-15s were all over the place, I handled everyone I could get my hands on. This is when I realized the error of my ways. I was worried about money but ended up spending more money on half measures than my new AR-15. I'm not about to sell the guns mentioned above so it's costing me twice as much over the long run.

The only thing that scares me is what if my new AR doesn't fill that hole. What's it gonna be next?

Anyway I'll have a range report as soon as I get an opportunity.
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

In the same boat, havent bought yet but am considering all the options you mentioned for the same reasons. Thanks for the info.

This is when I realized the error of my ways. I was worried about money but ended up spending more money on half measures than my new AR-15. I'm not about to sell the guns mentioned above so it's costing me twice as much over the long run.
    This goes for all tools, not just firearms.
    Research is priceless, waiting until you can afford the right item is priceless, tools outlasting you and being passed on down in the family is priceless.

We've all made the same mistake though.

Don't worry about not filling in the hole. It will once you get to take it to the range and squeeze the first round down range, then all will be well in the universe.

I did the same thing but I do still enjoy bringing out the SKS or the Fireball M38 only if I want to workout the ole shoulder. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by craze View Post
    The only thing that scares me is what if my new AR doesn't fill that hole.
    it won't

What's it gonna be next?
    hmmm...FAL? RDIAS? Some sort of HK?

Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    We've all made the same mistake though.
    NEVER refer to buying three rifles as a mistake!

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by craze View Post
    The only thing that scares me is what if my new AR doesn't fill that hole. What's it gonna be next?
    A second AR, of course.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Senior Moderator
    Excellent choice. I really enjoy my Bushy M4A3.

With proper magazines, it is utterly reliable.

And FUN.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Ill suggest a FAL or one of the HK clones as most bang for the buck LOL . I chose A Metric fal myself and have not regretted it a bit .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Congratulations....
    Hope you enjoy the new Rifle....
    May I suggest an M1A to supplement the toolbag?
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

I have an A2 with a 16 inch barrel. It was better than my colt in Vietnam. Steve48

Well I picked it up yesterday evening. Haven't even fired it and allready love it! Hopefully I'll get an opportunity to put a few rounds down range this weekend.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and ideas on ways to further deplete my bank account.
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

Senior Moderator
    Make sure you strip it and apply some lube before you go shoot for the first time.

And have fun!

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Links