5.56 actually may be safer for indoor use

This is a discussion on 5.56 actually may be safer for indoor use within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is just some of the interesting and informative information from this website: http://www.ammo-oracle.com/ Q. Isn't 5.56 too dangerous to use indoors? Shouldn't I use ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5.56 actually may be safer for indoor use

5.56 actually may be safer for indoor use

This is just some of the interesting and informative information from this website: http://www.ammo-oracle.com/

Q. Isn't 5.56 too dangerous to use indoors? Shouldn't I use a pistol or shotgun instead?

Virtually any kind of ammo, with the exception of light bird shot, will easily penetrate typical wall construction (two layers of wall-board separated by 3 to 4 inches of space). testing has shown, however, that after penetrating a typical interior wall, a 5.56mm projectile will have less wounding potential than most common handgun or buckshot loads. This is true because the low mass of the bullet sheds velocity quickly, and velocity is its key wounding component. This doesn't mean that 5.56mm ammo isn't still potentially deadly, but that the severity of an injury is likely to be less from a 5.56mm bullet than from a 9mm, .40, .45, or #00 buckshot round. What is important is not the degree to which these rounds penetrate, but their "ex post lethality" or their lethality AFTER encountering wallboard or other cover/concealment.

The difference is so significant that the FBI and other ballistic experts recommend that law enforcement transition to handguns to "dig suspects out" of cover because of the superior penetration and wounding ability of handgun rounds over 5.56 or .223.

This, along with the increasing number of lawsuits from "friendly fire" submachine gun victims and 5.56mm's ability to penetrate ballistic vests, are some of the reasons that many SWAT teams are transitioning away from the 9mm MP5 and selecting 5.56mm carbines instead.

This is understandable given the longer barrel length and therefore higher velocity and consequently higher penetration of handgun rounds in submachine guns.

If our experience on the forums are accurate, most shot gunners and submachine gun fans receive this news poorly. It does seem counterintuitive since 5.56mm is a "high powered round." All we can say to this is that the FBI FTU fired hundreds of rounds through carefully constructed wall sections and then into gel. Ignore these results at your own peril.

2. Remove Ads

This is why my favored home defense weapon is a .223 rifle loaded with the Hornady TAP rounds.

That's very interesting...hadn't considered that at all. Makes sense though...

VIP Member
    This is one reason I've been pushing (with what tiny clout I have) to swap out all (or at least most) of our Colt SMGs for M4s.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    This is why my favored home defense weapon is a .223 rifle loaded with the Hornady TAP rounds.
    Mine as well.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I spoke in a previous post about SWAT units nation wide switching from handgun rounds in SMGs to M4 design with 223 ammo. My agency did and we found in our research and test that the FBI, NTOA ect.

We carried our mags loaded with 55 gr Hornady TAP ammo for entrys and 55gr Siera Match JHP for standard and two mags of speciality ammo (one ball and one armor piercing) to use in special situations.

I put my shotgun into the gun safe and its the M4 with a throw over vest carrier and my civilian M4 that has become my house go to gun.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Administrator
    Yup, we switch over to M4's too. The MP5 was fun, but the M4 gets the job done.
    "Just blame Sixto"

i have heard rumors (dont know how true) of the .223 actually tumbles after impact decreasing over penatration

i have never shot anything but paper with mine

jd

Quote Originally Posted by Rolex Dr. View Post
    i have heard rumors (dont know how true) of the .223 actually tumbles after impact decreasing over penatration
    I think most rifle rounds will tumble at some point, but I believe it is mainly with FMJ. This is because most of the weight is to the rear of the bullet and when it impacts that weight wants to do the leading. HP tend to not tumble becuase when they mushroom the weight is being somewhat compiled in the front rather than the rear.

worth reading:
    http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot1_2.htm

2. Twelve pine boards will not stop a .223 round.

I don't want to seem to be stirring the pot...but...has there been good studies about the frangible rounds in .223? I was thinking in terms of how the bullets perform when shot into various layers of clothing and if they are able to penetrate interior walls.

Also,might there be some situations where the ability to penetrate a wall or door might be very beneficial in a HD situation?

I can see pluses and minuses for each choice of HD firearm. Pistol, shotgun or carbine seem like good choices each. This thread has got me thinking....

Wayne

I too have recently switched to .223 from a shotgun for home defence. Currently my mini-14 once I wring out my new Bushmaster I'll probably switch to that. Lots of good varmit loads out there that should be well suited to home defence. I think the high velocity high energy light weight bullet makes for a good overall combo for defending the castle. A good fragmenting bullet that is capable of expending most if not all of it's 1200 ft/lbs of energy inside a living target ought to go a long way towards discouraging furthur aggression. Having said that I would not want to rely on an interior wall as cover from any .223round.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.
    --George Washington

what about the unhealthy sound level of a 223? Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the .223 significantly louder than either shotguns or pistols, and indoors it would cause serious hearing damage. I realize less wall penetration might be better than significant hearing damage, but I'm sticking to the 12ga.

that was the original intend of the military in the first place when it came to 5.56. have the round enter then take a drastic turn inside the body to cause more damage. it was an effective balance having a lower caliber weapon (rather than 7.62 like the AK or M-60) that made for a more "destructive" round in an easier handling weapon. sounds harsh but it's original intent was for war before the civilian models came out. ...even now though, the 7.62 is working it's way back into the military on a larger scale (stayed in the infantry for the most part but spreading out to other units), the M240B and H. a simplistic powerful weapon but not a personal assault weapon (unless your Rambo). i like the AK and the SKS but ...M-4, AR... no substitution. ...that last sentence... my opinion.

hope i'm not off topic.
    What's this button do?

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolex Dr. View Post

i have never shot anything but paper with mine

jd
    At home defense ranges, the round is most likely going to fragment, not tumble.

Everything you never wanted to know about the terminal performance of the 5.56: http://www.ammo-oracle.com/body.htm#m193orm855

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links