Commanality of arms

Commanality of arms

This is a discussion on Commanality of arms within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I started this thread in the concealed carry gun forum, I am thinking about purchasing everybody in the family the same type and caliber of ...

Thread: Commanality of arms

Commanality of arms

I started this thread in the concealed carry gun forum, I am thinking about purchasing everybody in the family the same type and caliber of weapon. This would apply to Shotgun and rifle. The rifle needs to do double duty as a hunting rifle also. I was looking for recommendations on caliber and firearm choices. Keep in mind cost is an issue as I need 6 of each. I am not trying to buy them all at once, but a little over time.

I have to ask, WHY????? A firearm is a personal choice for each shooter not just based on caliber but also size, feel, what it is being used for, and other factors. How about being happy that everyone in your family even wants to own a gun and help them choose what is best for them?
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    commonality is something I value as well, for parts, mags, and ammo interchangability in an extended SHTF situation. However, I would draw the line at commonality in caliber.

A rifle is definitely a personal choice, because people are shaped differently, and some rifles just do not fit certain people.

I would pick a caliber, then choose your rifle, let everyone else shoot it, get familiar with it, and then choose their own, following the same caliber. Chances are, they'll choose the same rifle as yours, if they like it. But they will be happier and more confident with it than if you had just forced it on them.

Just make sure that if there are any oddballs, you have enough spare parts and mags for them.

VIP Member
    Or, you could go the opposite route, and get AR platforms in a bunch of different calibers. That way, you have the same manual of arms and operational controls, but you can have just about any caliber you want from 9mm to .50 Beuwolf to 7.62N and just about anything in between....
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

See my reply in the other thread for my opinion on the matter.

I think commonality is good to an extent... there are other factors to consider, so go to my reply in the other thread
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

It sounds to me like you're building a mini-army. Therefore model your force after typical military practice. Do they standardize on a common platform? Yes, to an extent, but with special weapons for special purposes as well.

To my mind, if you were arming 30 people I would want 4 snipers (in 2 teams), 20 on standard battle rifle platforms whether that be AR/AK/whatever, 3 on explosives, and 3 support/ammo/supply runners.

If you were arming 6 adults, I'd say 1 sniper, 4 battle rifles, and 1 support/ammo/supply runner.

Two adults and 4 children? Assuming the "children" are 15 and over, I'd have the youngest child as runner, next youngest as sniper, and rest on battle rifle duty.

But then I'm a computer geek and not military.
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

Didn't I see this before....?

Any how, given cost and reliability as prime factors, I would:

Rifles- Remington 700 BDLs, preferrably .308

Shottys- Rem 870s Police trade-ins, if you can find them, Mossberg 500, if not.

Handguns- Honestly, I would spend the money for Glock, preferrably in 9mm, used when at all possible.

On the rifles, you could go the Mosin-Nagant route, and buy ammo out the wazoo, in savings. Recoil is a bit more stout, but it is a Rifle, afterall.

Also, buy blued- its cheaper. Spend $60 for two cans of Brownells TeflonMoly baking finish, and DIY. Coatings on hard-use guns are alway worth the time and effort.

Research- get Kuhnhausen-style shop manuals, when possible. Search out the most/most advanced tech data you can, if shop manuals aren't available.

Synthetic stocks on everything. Again, well worth it.

Thanks rob now this is what I was looking for, people opinion on the guns not whether I am an idiot or not (most lean towards idiot). Thanks Rob

There will always be some who can't make a comment without belittling others. Don't pay any attention to them.

I thought somewhat along the same lines when my wife and I decided to get serious about self protection. We didn't standardize on caliber but on the functionality and feel of our handguns of choice. They shoot somewhat differently but my Springfield XD .45 Service and her Springfield XD 9mm Service both function exactly the same and have the same feel except for weight of course. In the dark of the night or any other less than optimal situation, I'm confident she can handle my weapon just fine if she accidently picks it up instead of her 9mm. We practice with both just in case.
    Semper Paratus (Always Ready)

6 SKS's
    6 Mossy 500's
    6 Ruger P95's

3 popular calibers, 7.62x39,12ga.,9mm. 3 reliable and cost effective guns.

Done.

FREEDOM MATTERS!

Quote Originally Posted by turdherder View Post
    Thanks rob now this is what I was looking for, people opinion on the guns not whether I am an idiot or not (most lean towards idiot). Thanks Rob
    Don't worry about the "lean towards idiot" part. They let ME hang around here. Nuff said.

I'm just jealous that you can even consider buying that many guns.

My "Finance Director" has put a spending freeze on.

By the way, welcome to the forum.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Rifles- Remington 700 BDLs, preferrably .308
    The Remington 700 is a bolt-action rifle. For shooting rabbits, that might be ok, but for anything else, I would certainly want something semi-automatic. Look into AKs, AR-15s (there are .308 variants of these I believe if you want more power/longer range than .223), M1A (Springfield Armory has a bunch of nice M1A variants), etc.

Quote Originally Posted by dwolsten View Post
    The Remington 700 is a bolt-action rifle. For shooting rabbits, that might be ok, but for anything else, I would certainly want something semi-automatic. Look into AKs, AR-15s (there are .308 variants of these I believe if you want more power/longer range than .223), M1A (Springfield Armory has a bunch of nice M1A variants), etc.
    Darn big rabbits, if you're using .308/.300WM/7mm or .270 on them. Given the parameters described, a bolt would likely be a better long-term solution. They will remain under the umbrella of legality longer. Optics are more rigedly and economically mounted. You can purchase 2(at least) excellent .308 bolts for the price of 1 genuinely useful .308 semiauto. I agree, a semi-carbine of some type would be recommended, but, in context, the bolt would see more real-time use (hunting).

Come to think of it, the Savage 110 FP is cheaper, and really (IMHO) better bang for the buck than the 700.

For +/-$250 each, you could lay in a couple of AK kits, to put together at leisure, or buy a couple of SKSs, mint. One needs to assess the trade-offs carefully, in comparison to the environment, as well.

Links