Mini-14 Questions - Page 2

Mini-14 Questions

This is a discussion on Mini-14 Questions within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by ExSoldier I have a 1970's era Mini-14 with the original Factory Folding Stock. It too stinks accuracy wise. However, I also discovered ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mini-14 Questions

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    I have a 1970's era Mini-14 with the original Factory Folding Stock. It too stinks accuracy wise. However, I also discovered it only likes FMJ ammo. Put anything with a partially exposed lead tip and she jams up. Still, I'll keep her because she makes a great truck and SHTF gun with the folding stock. I'm really angling for one of these for the next carbine: http://www.fnhusa.com/products/firea...011&gid=FNG006
    Man Ex, you sure do like ugly guns. lol

To each his own though.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Accuracy was not that bad and a good red dot mounted in a solid location would do alot for the accuracy. So did I luck out or are people just comparing this to fully tricked out ARs that cost more than the customization to a Mini as originally posted about? I would venture to say that this AR could nearly match any bone stock AR that costs the same as a NIB Mini with irons only.
    Yeah I like Glocks, wanna fight about it!

Even with a hot and slinging barrel, I can still get 16inch groups at 400yds with 55gr American Eagle. That's good enough for non-ranch plinking for me. Try doing that with a 7.62x39 rifle.

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Young View Post
    Even with a hot and slinging barrel, I can still get 16inch groups at 400yds with 55gr American Eagle. That's good enough for non-ranch plinking for me. Try doing that with a 7.62x39 rifle.
    I’ve never tried 400 yards with my VEPR, but based on its 100 yard performance it is capable of better than 16” groups.

Now, if you want to compare .223 rifles, any decent AR is capable of much better than 16” groups at 400 yards. At least half that would be the norm.
    Last edited by JT; May 21st, 2007 at 09:07 AM.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by '75scout View Post
    Accuracy was not that bad and a good red dot mounted in a solid location would do alot for the accuracy. So did I luck out or are people just comparing this to fully tricked out ARs that cost more than the customization to a Mini as originally posted about? I would venture to say that this AR could nearly match any bone stock AR that costs the same as a NIB Mini with irons only.
    Are you talking about this type of accuracy…
    Quote Originally Posted by '75scout View Post
    Accuracy was good. It needed to be sighted in but we only had about 25 yards to play with and no rest so I didn't bother. Unsighted irons and about 25 yards gave me about 1.5 to 2" groups with the cheapest ammo I could buy.
    Because that is not good. At 100 yards that will become 6-8”.

At 25 yards, my “bone stock” AR will make one hole out of six shots. And yes, that is with cheap ammo.

I’m not trying to attack the Mini-14, but comparing it to an AR is not realistic in my opinion.
    Last edited by JT; May 21st, 2007 at 09:11 AM.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Look at more than just my group sizes. It was my first time shooting the rifle. I was standing and wasn't using anything to steady myself. The rear sight was just reinstalled and it wasn't sighted in. Plus my groups could have been half the size they were if I had taken my time, but my buddies were in a hurry to finish (we had a wedding shower to go to and the wives were about to start calling).

If I actually did my part I still feel it is realistic to expect this rifle to equal any AR in the $700 price range and under. I have shot worse with a Rock River AR.
    Yeah I like Glocks, wanna fight about it!

Bought a Mini-14 when they first camo out. Accuracy was awful and i soon unloaded it. A friend called his "an SKS in .223 caliber."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links