Mini-14 Questions

This is a discussion on Mini-14 Questions within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Has anyone sent your Mini-14 to Accuracy Systems Inc? I have an opporunity to buy a Ruger Mini-14 for $300 and it is in great ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mini-14 Questions

Mini-14 Questions

Has anyone sent your Mini-14 to Accuracy Systems Inc? I have an opporunity to buy a Ruger Mini-14 for $300 and it is in great shape. I have wanted a good rifle and this looks like a good deal. Plus I can borrow it for a while to see how I like it.

But I want to send it to ASI to turn it into a gun that can be used as a short to mid range varmit hunter and a SHTF rifle and also take turns with my Rem 870 as my HD long gun. I just wanted to know if ASIs work it top notch like it seems and accuracy is really improved that much.
    Yeah I like Glocks, wanna fight about it!

2. Remove Ads

Forgot to mention that I don't like AR-15s. I have shot a few and I know that many people believe them to be perfection, but they don't stike my fancy at all. Also I only plan to buy a few rifles. Those include the Mini-14, M1A, M1 Garand and M1 Carbine. For a long while the Mini-14 will be my only rifle and I want it to serve several purposes. I don't hunt much but where I'm moving I'll be able to develop my interest in varmit hunting and hog hunting. That won't be the minis only duty. Tactical carbine courses, SHTF, HD and general plinking are all the other uses. So I feel investing money in the mini is worth it if it meets all my needs vs buying seperate dedicated guns for several roles.

just by an accustrut for 75 bucks. it works.

go over to perfect union mini-14 forum and see the results. It is impressive

http://www.accustrut.com/

Administrator
    The mini is not known for its accuracy, but its fine to 100 yds or so.
    I would not throw good money after bad, as it will never be a tack driver unless you put far too much money into it. Then you have a $1500 rifle worth $300.
    I do think the mini14 would serve fine as a SHTF rifle, just dont expect miracles from the gun. I have used mine to hunt coyotes, and it did fine as is, no mods needed.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    +1 SIXTO

If you don'y expect more from a Mini-14 than a M-1 Carbine you will be fine. They are about on par accuracy wise. Both great SHTF guns.

I have a M-1 carbine and am planning on getting a CMP one soon. I'd like to get 2 more. 100 to 150 yds is the max range on these, they are defensive rifles not assault rifles.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I too, was never very attracted to the AR family.... I bought a brand new synthetic stocked Mini 14. It was a neat looking little rifle. Absolutely awful accuracy !! The bullets hit the target sideways. 10 inch groups at 25 yds from a rest !!
    I sent it back to Ruger . They did their "magic"... the bullets didn't tumble anymore but the group size was unchanged !!
    I traded it in (with a warning) for a Bushmaster. An ugly gun but this shoots like a rifle should !! FWIW.... mike

Shoot the Mini, first. Some (I had one) deliver acceptable accuracy, about 2" MOA, mine was a bit better with ammo it liked. If you get a good one, no need to dicker with it.

Conversely, if this will be your primary semi-carbine, likely forevermore, Accuracy Systems would be worth it. Afterall, a $2K Springfield Match is a "tuned" $500 weapon.

Buy mags, buy parts, get the Accuracy Systems job, keep it. If you think you might become besotted with lust for a FAL, M14, G3, AR-10,etc., don't waste the money.

You may want to consider the mini-14 target rifle. I've seen them between 7&8 hundred bucks. These are supposed to be 1'' shooters at 100yds out of the box. http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firear...ding&famlst=61
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.
    --George Washington

All I did was throw a scope and flash suppressor on my Mini 14 and I get MOA with good loads. Here's my 300yd results http://www.therallypoint.org/forum/i...p?topic=1077.0

Found some time to go shoot it tomorrow. I bought some Remington an PMC ammo to put through it. And yes if I like it I'll plan on keeping it, so having it worked on is worth it. I do plan to buy an M1A in the future. Not that I will have the Mini to tinker with I think I'll leave the M1A stock and maybe add a scope.

I'm thinking about having the ASI Harmonic Stabilizer installed, 3-blade front sight, Sage SCAR-CQB stock, Grip Pod, Surefire weapon light and EoTech sight. This set-up should fill the tactical role very well and still be capable of the occasional varmit hunting.

Why not just try to find a GB 20? factory flash hider and bayonet lug?
    Attached Images
    Last edited by CLASS3NH; May 18th, 2007 at 11:24 PM.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

I put 80 rounds through it today. It was a blast and I can now honestly say I like Mini-14s way more than any AR I have ever shot. And I've logged some range time with some quality ARs from Rock River.

Accuracy was good. It needed to be sighted in but we only had about 25 yards to play with and no rest so I didn't bother. Unsighted irons and about 25 yards gave me about 1.5 to 2" groups with the cheapest ammo I could buy. But its definatly coming home to stay with my and I think a Sage SCAR-CQB stock is in the near future with some form of red dot on top. Also at the very least I'm going to have ASI do some trigger work as this would benifit the Mini quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    just by an accustrut for 75 bucks. it works.

go over to perfect union mini-14 forum and see the results. It is impressive

http://www.accustrut.com/
    I'm gettin one and am going to give it a try. I love the min-14 action, size, and handling charcteristics, but the accuracy (or lack thereof) makes me queasy almost to the point of nausea. I just can't stand poor accuracy in a rifle.

I hope this helps the Mini-14, otherwise I'll be getting rid of it, like I did the Mini-30 I had.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

I have a 1970's era Mini-14 with the original Factory Folding Stock. It too stinks accuracy wise. However, I also discovered it only likes FMJ ammo. Put anything with a partially exposed lead tip and she jams up. Still, I'll keep her because she makes a great truck and SHTF gun with the folding stock. I'm really angling for one of these for the next carbine: http://www.fnhusa.com/products/firea...011&gid=FNG006
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

That GB Mini 14 looks nice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links