Ruger Ranch Rifle in 6.8 mm Rem SPC?

This is a discussion on Ruger Ranch Rifle in 6.8 mm Rem SPC? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am considering purchase of this rifle as an SHTF firearm. I have two questions. 1, Any feedback or knowledge about the 6.8 Rem SPC ...

Thread: Ruger Ranch Rifle in 6.8 mm Rem SPC?

I am considering purchase of this rifle as an SHTF firearm. I have two questions.

1, Any feedback or knowledge about the 6.8 Rem SPC cartridge?

2, I have not found any large capacity magazines to feed the rifle, just the 5 round stock mags. Any knowledge about large capacity mags?

The rifle & round sounds great if it is what I have heard. However I have learned that Hype and advertizing cannot be believed.
    What's your opinions?

Roger

I doubt you will find large cap mags for it

the 6.8 looks good on paper but for real world use its just not docoumented enough

Senior Moderator
    Heres a good article on it...

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/ammun...emington_0303/

I've shot the AR top half and it shot very well. While not a scientific test by any means, I can say for a fact that it whacks a 200 yard gong so much harder than a .223 that it is no contest.

As for the magazines, they use the standard .223 mag. You can get a 6.8 top half and a 6.8 bolt and go shooting.

Its basically like shooting a .270 in an AR. I like it well enough that I will proabably own one someday.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Didn't know the Ranch Rifle was available in 6.8mm. It may evolve into having more accessories and higher capacity magazines someday.

However, if you are wanting something larger than .223, I used to have a Ruger Mini-Thirty in 7.62 x 39mm. That was one of my favorite deer rifles and I kick myself constantly for selling it.

The 7.62 x 39mm has ballistics very similar to a 30-30 as a medium sized game gun, and as you know, as a human predator weapon for self defense... well we all know the venerable AK-47 and SKS.

The Mini-Thirty has a plethora of accessories including synthetic and folding stocks, scope and optic mounts and hi-capacity magazines.

Hunting in a tree stand, it's the .30-06 for me... but on the ground, stalking the Mini-Thirty was light, fast to shoulder and accurate out to 100 meters with iron sights. A 3 power scope or a red-dot and it was killer.

One day, I'll have to replace it as 10 years later, I still get depressed over getting rid of it.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

FWIW I have heard good things about the cartridge, but for a SHTF rifle I would be concerned with ammo availability. If you are thinking short term where a couple hundred rounds should be sufficient go for it. If you are thinking about EOTWAWKI I would stay with a more "mainstream" cartridge.

Hotguns; do I understand you correctly? You said that the 6.8 Rem in an AR style firearm used the standard .223 magazines, Should that be so, the magazine question others have raised is moot.

Thanks for your advice.
    Roger

they say they do but there is also a 6.8 mag to help fix feed problems and most of the makers dont recommend using a 223 mag

Senior Moderator
    Yes the mags I used were .223 mags and we had no problems with them. The front edge of the magazine has rather sharp shoulder that needs to be filed down to a 45 degree angle to avoid any hangups. It takes all of about 2 minutes to do it with a file.

I had to so the same thing with the mags on my .300 Whisper. The shoulder of the case would sometimes get hung up on the sharp edge.

I suspect that any mags that are marketed as 6.8 mags have probably had this done to them.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Sponsored Links