Mini-report on 7615

This is a discussion on Mini-report on 7615 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I had an opportunity to do some quick and dirty shooting of the Remington 7615 at the police range today. By quick and dirty I ...

Thread: Mini-report on 7615

VIP Member

Mini-report on 7615

I had an opportunity to do some quick and dirty shooting of the Remington 7615 at the police range today. By quick and dirty I mean that I literally fired 2 30 round mags through it. Both mags were fired off hand at pump get back on target and pull trigger rate. I set up two silhouette practice targets and shot a mag at each as stated off hand, no sling, no support. One mag fired at 25 yards and one at 35 yards. That's all the space the current range has.

How did it do? In both cases I thought I did pretty good. At 25 yards (first mag) I put all 30 rounds into the A zone on the target. The total group would easily have fit on an 8" paper plate. At 35 yards I put all 30 rounds into the A zone but not grouped nearly so well. Part of that was that you get tire hold the rifle up to fire 30 rounds and then you fire 30 more it gets hard to stay on target.

As for the rifle except for learning the hard way that the barrel gets hot after 20 or so rounds it was fabulous. I didn't have any trouble with remembering to pump the rifle after the first 3 or 4 rounds and had no feed or extraction problems. Being a .223 and having a pretty thick recoil pad my right shoulder never notice anything. The left shoulder is a different story. Because the rifle is a pump you end up with your left arm extended more than normal and then after you fire you pump the rifle. The shoulder gets a good workout and it is a little sore now.

Overall a great experience. I look forward to doing some shooting from a bench to see what kind of groups I can get.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    You are gettin me to thinkin George! I'd rather have that any day than my darned Mini-14.

Thx for the report.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array mavrik46's Avatar
    Got me to thinking too. Definately cost a lot less than an AR. And looks good too.

Lead Moderator
    Did the mag get in the way of pumping the rifle at all? sounds like a winner , unless you are gonna dump lots of rounds , then your arm might get tired.
    If it takes AR mags, at least you can get em cheap. Also , if it does take AR mags , you can use 5, 10 or 20 rnd mags.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Did the mag get in the way of pumping the rifle at all? sounds like a winner , unless you are gonna dump lots of rounds , then your arm might get tired.
    If it takes AR mags, at least you can get em cheap. Also , if it does take AR mags , you can use 5, 10 or 20 rnd mags.
    I have the 10 rounder that came with it, but used the 30s I bought. The mag was not a problem when pumping. the design is very good. Your elbow goes out not down and the pump ends before any contact with the mag.

I'm going to look at some 20s I feel like the rifle looks a little awkward with the 30s. The 20s are straight and I think fit in with the lines of the rifle better.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    You are gettin me to thinkin George! I'd rather have that any day than my darned Mini-14.
    Me too.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    Me too.
    Since it replaced a Mini-14 with a problem obviously I would too. I also agree that I would rather have it than a working Mini-14. From just the few rounds I fired yesterday I know I am more accurate with the 7615. Whether that is me or the gun or a combination I don't know, but I suspect that it is the gun. I have not shot that well with any of the Mini-14s I've fired.

I forgot to mention in the original post that the ammo I was firing was cheap Russian. It wasn't even Wolf it was Brown Bear 62 gr soft nose with laquered steel cases. $95 out the door in a steel ammo box. I imagine I could have done better with some good ammo. I will be firing Winchester for the bench shooting.
    George

I'm working on a similar project, using an early 760 in 30-06. I plan on using one of the side folder stocks that are sold for the 870, which will fit, and a 1-1/2X5 power scope. I'm also going to try to work up a 20 round magazine using a BAR mag as a basis.

Assistant Administrator
    similar project, using an early 760 in 30-06
    I'll follow that with interest - in particular magazine issues. My 760 is my deer rifle (.308) ..... a fine gun I find it to be.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Links