Cheapest place to get home defense shottie

This is a discussion on Cheapest place to get home defense shottie within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Due to some recent happenings, I'm in the market for a second shotgun. I'm letting my girlfriend keep my winchester 1300 at her place, and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheapest place to get home defense shottie

Cheapest place to get home defense shottie

Due to some recent happenings, I'm in the market for a second shotgun. I'm letting my girlfriend keep my winchester 1300 at her place, and while I have an ar and a Remington 1100, I'd like another defense gun for myself. The catch is the price needs to be under about 175, which is what I can get a special purpose barrel for the Remington for.

Any suggestions? I don't care that it works 100% of the time cause I'll have a back or two in any case, but I'd like a 12 gauge to take care of business.

2. Remove Ads

I'd look at all the pawn shops - and you really really do want it to work 100% of the time.

Assistant Administrator
    Could be too a peek at CDNN (http://www.cdnninvestments.com) - get the PDF or maybe you have their catalog ... some quite viable options there.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I second the pawn shop idea. Look for Mossy 500's and Remington 870's. They're going to work.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by neby98 View Post
    ... under about 175 ... I don't care that it works 100% of the time ... to take care of business.
    If it's to take care of business, you'll care if you end up needing it, of course.

Consider the Ithaca 37 12ga pump. They've been around a long time. There are currently several on Gunbroker.com for < $200. A used 37 can be very reliable. They're fairly simple to work on. They don't have a whole lot of support out there, with aftermarket parts and whatnot.

I've got one and love it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

and the Ithaca 37 is great for "southpaws"... don't they have a bottom eject?
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Maverick

I think there is one made by Maverick (owned by Mossberg) which I've seen selling at Academy for considerably less than $175 new. I believe that occasionally they even have a deal going where they throw in a free hard case.

If you want a Mossberg 500, even those are around $200 new. And definitely in your price range if you go used from a pawn shop.

You want it to work 100 percent, you may not have a chance to retrieve a backup.

Thanks guys, I'm going to look at the maverick, and I like the norinco option too. I've actually been checking pawnshops but haven't found very many cheap short shotguns.

Ok yeah I sorta mis spoke there. I do want it to work 100&#37; of the time, what I meant to say was I'm not worried at all about heavy use, it's not every going to see more then 500 rounds, so as long as the parts are total crap, I'm not that worried about it breaking. I want to shoot it enough to know it's not going to jam, and then shoot like 5-10 rounds every six months.
    Last edited by neby98; May 26th, 2007 at 12:23 PM.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by neby98 View Post
    Due to some recent happenings, I'm in the market for a second shotgun. I'm letting my girlfriend keep my winchester 1300 at her place, and while I have an ar and a Remington 1100, I'd like another defense gun for myself. The catch is the price needs to be under about 175, which is what I can get a special purpose barrel for the Remington for.
    Any suggestions? I don't care that it works 100% of the time cause 'll have a back or two in any case, but I'd like a 12 gauge to take care of business.
    BRAND NEW - made by MossBerg - (value line model )

Pump -12 GA- 18 1/2" barrel
    6 rd mag
    Black Synthetic stock

This Dealer has them for $173 on Gunbroker.com

http://www.discountgunner.com/
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

That AR will surely take care of bidness...... and what's wrong with the Remy? An 1100 is a fine HD gun.

Pawn shop or the value Mossy in the last post.

the 1100 has a 28inch barrel, and the reason the AR is not the go to weapon is I'm thinking ahead to any court battle, with lawsuits happening all the time. It is however the back up, although I realize that it might be hard to reach.

My philosophy is this: handguns exist to get to long guns.

I will second,....or fouth the pawn shop thing. I usually sell a Mossy for $150. A Maverick 88 will tend to be a little less.

Both can be easily adapted for HD use, and there is a great line of stuffs that can be added to get what you are looking for.

The 88 already has the poly stocks, and you can get replacement stocks for it to fit your desires.

The Mossy usually have wood stocks, but again, they can be changed over to what ever fits.

Both guns can be cut to legal lengths and be much more user friendly negotiating hallways and doorways, and you aren't cutting up a more expensive gun.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

I have a Maverick 88 (made by Mossberg). I paid 149.99 at Wal-mart. Sports Authority across the street had the exact same piece at the same price but they were jerks that day-so I left.

Sawing the barrel, filing it out and re-bluing the cut all took about 30 minutes. (finding the right file was part of that)

It shoots great and hasn't failed me once. I highly recommend it. Also consider the chance of never seeing your firearm again should you need to use it-be prepared to lose it.

Mossberg 500, can't go wrong! Mine has thousands of rounds through it, thousands and thousands!!!

Ditto the Maverick 88 - you can find a NIB one for your price, and it is a darn fine gun!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links