Bench shooting the 7615

Bench shooting the 7615

This is a discussion on Bench shooting the 7615 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I had a few minutes this afternoon to shoot at a target 100 yards away. The first thing I discovered is that shooting from a ...

VIP Member

Bench shooting the 7615

I had a few minutes this afternoon to shoot at a target 100 yards away. The first thing I discovered is that shooting from a rest is hard with a pump rifle. After each shot you have to move the rifle so it never gets back to exactly the same place. Of course the other thing discovered is that a target at 100 yards through the Wilson Combat ghost ring is awfully small.

In spite of the difficulties I think I did OK. I don't have a photo of the targets, but excluding the obligatory flyer the four rounds were within 1.5". That's not too bad with a 16.5" barrel.

I still want someone who is a better shooter than I am to do a real test of accuracy. I would also like to try some more when I have more time and have practiced some more with rifles. Before November it had been over 30 years since I had fired a rifle. Since November I don't have 500 rounds total in 4 rifles. The 7615 only has 75 rounds through it. I have got to get a better place to shoot the rifles. There are no ranges within 50 miles except the police range and it is set up for pistols with a max range of 35 yards.

I'll let you know about what happens next time we try some bench shooting.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Assistant Administrator
    100 yards, 1.5" and Ghost rings - that is well OK in my book George.

I doubt I get much better than that with my Ruger 77 MkII - and that is scoped!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

will you come sight in my rifle for me I'd be extremely happy with a 1&1/2 group with a ghost ring, heck I'm happy with that group with a scope. LOL
    Gun Control: What a long strange trip it's been

1 1/2 with a ghost ring is nice shooting. I'm impressed. Guess I'll have to get one.

My wife will be thrilled to hear that. (probably NOT!)
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    1 1/2 with a ghost ring is nice shooting. I'm impressed. Guess I'll have to get one.

My wife will be thrilled to hear that. (probably NOT!)
    Actually my wife is thrilled with it. She shot some milk cartons at about 40 yards using some soft tip ammo. The cap blew 25 or 30 feet up into the air and the back side of the carton blew out. After a few rounds she told me she liked better than the last rifle she shot. The reason was obvious to me. The last one was the Marlin 336 in 30-30. The butt plate is hard plastic. The 7615 has the same butt plate Remington puts on the 870 shotgun. 1.5" of absorbant foam. Either way I'm sure this will help her to get comfortable with shooting a rifle. You never know when you will need more than a handgun and I have not been able to get her to shoot a rifle enough to get familiar with it.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Lead Moderator
    Sounds good to me. does the ghost ring have 1 size, or does it flip to a tighter peep like an AR?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Sounds good to me. does the ghost ring have 1 size, or does it flip to a tighter peep like an AR?
    Remington uses what might be considered an odd combination. Wilson Combat ghost ring and XS Sight System front sight. The ghost ring has only one size. The front sight is set in a dove tail and has a white dot at the top of the blade. It is very visible and easy to line up.
    George

Links