Enfield No.4 Mk 1/2

Enfield No.4 Mk 1/2

This is a discussion on Enfield No.4 Mk 1/2 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have an opportunity to purchase an Enfield No.4 MK 1 that was refurbished to a MK 1/2 after WWII. The price is $160 for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enfield No.4 Mk 1/2

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar

Enfield No.4 Mk 1/2

I have an opportunity to purchase an Enfield No.4 MK 1 that was refurbished to a MK 1/2 after WWII.

The price is $160 for the rifle and some .303 ball. From the pics it looks like it is in great shape.

I don't know much about these rifles but I want to start a WWII warhorse collection and this seems to be a good one to start with since I can't afford a M1 right now.

So if any of you Enfield guys could school me up on these I would appreciate it. Does this sound like a good deal?
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

If its in good shape $160 is a good price (especially if its a local sale so there's no shipping/transfer fee)

I recently sold a 1955 No.4 Mk 2 (unissued, possibly unfired) for over $700 (not exactly a direct comparison, I know, but you get the idea)

I say buy it. If you find you don't like it you should have no problem selling it for a profit.

Assistant Administrator
    I'd buy it too if in reasonable shape. I have a MkV Jungle carbine and also an 'Ishy' - but that's chambered .308.

My first long range rifle shooting as a cadet in UK (Bisley) was using target MkIV's, with Parker Hale sights ... very accurate rifles. The std issue Mk IV was also my drill rifle.

I have much affection for these guns - and even tho it is reckoned the Enfield bolt is not quite as tough as Mauser, IMO they are easily twice as fast to cycle.

Be handy too for shooting it to be able to reload .303 ammo . altho mil surp is still out there - but usually corrosive.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    That would be a great price up here. The Canadian Forces still issue the No.4 .303 to our Rangers up North as their service rifle.

Senior Moderator
    Go for it. Its hard to find an Enfield of any make for less than 200 anymore.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Last time I checked J&G Guns had No.$ Mk 1's for around one hundred dollars. With shipping and trasnfer fee it would be just a little cheaper, but they have lots of them! Like P95 said reloading is probably your best bet for getting ammo. I've rarely seen surplus, and anything I find in the stores is horriblely expensive.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    That would be a great price up here. The Canadian Forces still issue the No.4 .303 to our Rangers up North as their service rifle.
    Yup, they like them since they don't freeze up...

SMLE was the first rifle I ever fired, fired it at the Cumberland firing range on Vancouver Island... fun stuff!

I think that range is still in use. I wonder if they might replace them with the AIA No.4 copies in 7.62 or even get some of the Indian ones made for 7.62?

Buy it.

Yeah, you wanna get that one. I've got one is it's a great gun, nice fast bolt action.

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    For Ammo, Sportsmans Guide has it pretty reasonable, Wolf now makes the 303 ammo, in Brass cases too. $13.00 for a box of soft point, and $12.00 for fmj.

Sportsmans Guide .303

I used mine for hunting a lot, the box mag is nice for when driving a lot, or trying to load in the dark, the trigger pull is something to get used to, but not bad.

edit to add: I got the sporterizer stock from Sportsmans guide also, it was synthetic, with cheek rest, and had new style sling mounts already on it.
    Last edited by 4my sons; June 1st, 2007 at 09:28 AM. Reason: spelling
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

JT
    Have you considered going with an Ishapore in .308? AIMS has them for $170. Not as much historical value, but if you want it to shoot, it will be a lot easier to find .308 on a consistent basis than .303.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    I think that range is still in use. I wonder if they might replace them with the AIA No.4 copies in 7.62 or even get some of the Indian ones made for 7.62?

Last I heard, was a long time back, the government dumped a ton of ammo on the Inuit government up there, so I don't think they'll go 7.62 NATO anytime soon.

I am a big fan of the No.4 mk1. I have one in beautiful shape thats all factory. I also rescued one from a hack and ended up with my all time favorite hunting gun{it's sporterized w/20' barrel}. The two I have now are the last two I have left out of several. Every single one would group 1.5" groups at 100 yards or better. They are great guns.
    “You come at me with a sword and with a spear. But I come at you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you". 1 Samuel 17, 45-46
    Brian

Assistant Administrator
    it's sporterized w/20' barrel
    Brian despite the (sometimes) groans at MkIV's being 'sporterized' - I bought mine in that state and I agree re being great. Apart from homeloads it shoots well with the Win JSP (180 'Power Point). It fits well and is easy to tote - I regard it as second choice deer rifle.

BTW - the recoil pad is less for recoil - more for giving me a slight extension of length.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

My friend picked a scoped Parker-Hale converted No.4 for around $50 in an estate sale. Will shoot a 2" group at 100m. Parker-Hale made very nice conversions!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links