My budget SHTF, Homeland defense rifle

This is a discussion on My budget SHTF, Homeland defense rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Before: After: Avgs 1.38" groups @ 100 yards(With a scope). W/O scope 2.5-3". These are obviously bench groups. A person doesn't have to spend $1000(I've ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My budget SHTF, Homeland defense rifle

My budget SHTF, Homeland defense rifle

Before:

After:

Avgs 1.38" groups @ 100 yards(With a scope). W/O scope 2.5-3". These are obviously bench groups.

A person doesn't have to spend $1000(I've got $170 in my SKS) or more to have an effective and sufficiant longarm. Not that it hurts though. Some just can't aford it.
    “You come at me with a sword and with a spear. But I come at you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you". 1 Samuel 17, 45-46
    Brian

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    S'cool, but I am wondering why you don't have a 30-round detachable magazine on it...

My SKS is certainly "old school" -- still has (original) wood stocks on it, Norinco import, with spike bayonet. But I long ago got rid of that fixed box magazine and have a few 30 rounders instead. I was at first led to believe that the SKS was stuck with "fixed magazine," but when you take that thing off, the 30 round ones come easily on and off using that switch at the rear.

Man, it's been an embarrassingly long time since I fired that rifle. I have to wonder if it's still in decent shape in its case.

I don't like the 30 rounders as they are too long and awkward. I plan on getting a couple(or more)Tapco 20 rounders. I've been hearing lots of good things about them. Reliability and durability wise.
    By the way the stock is still the original wood. I just reconfigured it and modified a Mossberg shotgun pistol grip I had in my junk box to fit.
    “You come at me with a sword and with a spear. But I come at you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you". 1 Samuel 17, 45-46
    Brian

Senior Moderator
    My SKS is still plain Jane, I've got a box of stripper clips for it. Pretty easy and fast to reload

What I want is one of the Norinco sporters that takes AK mags.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    My SKS is still plain Jane, I've got a box of stripper clips for it. Pretty easy and fast to reload

What I want is one of the Norinco sporters that takes AK mags.
    A friend of mine has two of those and they are not as reliable as my standard SKS.
    Brian

Senior Moderator
    That's good to know. Do you like the Tapco 20 rd mags?

I'm afriad I will mess up a reliable gun if I modify my SKS. I've had zero problems with it and the stripper clips work fine.

I've always thought if it isn't broke don't fix it.
    Last edited by pgrass101; June 2nd, 2007 at 09:28 AM.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I personally have not used the Tapco's yet. I know several who have and raved about them. One of my buddies from another forum put 1000 rounds through the 10 Tapco 20 rounders he bought and not one malfunction. None of the mods I've done have affected reliability one way or the other. There is only one slight mod needed to use the Tapco's with a wood stock and that is to remove a little wood around the mag opening on the stock. If the hi-cap doesn't work out no big deal just slap the original 10 rounder back in place.
    Brian

VIP Member
    Russian designed rifle mags are very reliable. The only trouble I ever had with one was from one whose spring died of old age and sheer neglect. Cost me $10 at a gun show and I am sure it was buried somewhere in the european woods 'cause when I stripped and cleaned it I found all kinds of dirt and vegetation residue. I'll just have to order a spring for it and ith will be back in the bag.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Oh by the way I do highly recomend this: http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews/...f/wolffsks.pdf
    Brian

The SKS is a durable, rugged system, well made for SHTF roles, and cheap to boot.

If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

Quote Originally Posted by Alien Nation View Post
    A friend of mine has two of those and they are not as reliable as my standard SKS.
    I have the Norinco D model with the 16" barrell. It takes standard AK mags and has been flawless in function.

sks 2.JPG

Now I have had to do some filing on a some used or aftermarket mags to get them to function properly in it or my ak, but no problems with the reliability of the rifle itself. Once the mags are fixed they function great in the sks and ak (Norinco MAK-90)

I like the sks better as it is more accurate, and not so much muzzle jump as the ak.

My sks didn't break the bank either. I paid $235 for it and $45 for the stock. If I bought a regular sks though, I would probebly leave the fixed 10 rounder and get some stripper clips like armoredman has. IMO, perfect budget minded SHTF rifle, and the ammo is cheaper than 5.56 so you can stock up for less.
    Last edited by sgtD; June 2nd, 2007 at 12:19 PM. Reason: To add pic
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    I have the Norinco D model with the 16" barrell. It takes standard AK mags and has been flawless in function.

sks 2.JPG

Now I have had to do some filing on a some used or aftermarket mags to get them to function properly in it or my ak, but no problems with the reliability of the rifle itself. Once the mags are fixed they function great in the sks and ak (Norinco MAK-90)
    I'd be willing to bet that is the prob with my buddies D. I have solved many a problem with handguns by switching out or repairing mags. I didn't think it was the prob since his mags work fine in his AK. I'll have to talk to him and see what we can do.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Alien Nation View Post
    I'd be willing to bet that is the prob with my buddies D. I have solved many a problem with handguns by switching out or repairing mags. I didn't think it was the prob since his mags work fine in his AK. I'll have to talk to him and see what we can do.
    Indeed it is more finicky and holds the mags tighter than the AK. Most work without alteration, but some needed some tweaking. That could be the problem with your buddy's. I had 2 mags that would work in the AK, but not in the sks until I worked on them. Now they all work in both.

Of course, I've had the same thing with aftermarket mini-14 mags too, but I don't blame the rifle. I just fix 'em till they function and move on. I has never happened yet, but if I couldn't get a mag to function relaibly I would throw it away.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    S'cool, but I am wondering why you don't have a 30-round detachable magazine on it...

My SKS is certainly "old school" -- still has (original) wood stocks on it, Norinco import, with spike bayonet. But I long ago got rid of that fixed box magazine and have a few 30 rounders instead. I was at first led to believe that the SKS was stuck with "fixed magazine," but when you take that thing off, the 30 round ones come easily on and off using that switch at the rear.

Man, it's been an embarrassingly long time since I fired that rifle. I have to wonder if it's still in decent shape in its case.
    Hard to get in a prone position with a 30rd mag hanging out of your battle rifle

did i understand correctly that you had an SKS that takes AK mags?

how'd you do that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links