AR-15 opinion

AR-15 opinion

This is a discussion on AR-15 opinion within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have supported bushmaster for awhile but it I think I've changed my point of view. Recently the bolt broke in my Bushmaster. This would ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR-15 opinion

AR-15 opinion

I have supported bushmaster for awhile but it I think I've changed my point of view. Recently the bolt broke in my Bushmaster. This would be more understandable if it had more use than it has had, but its fairly new. I expect I have put no more that 7000-8000 rounds through it. I didn't think I would be one to jump on the Colt band wagon, but Im very impressed with the Colt I just purchased. Yes, it is more expensive, but it shoots nicer than my bushmaster. It is definitely more accurate, the fit and finish is better than the bushmaster. I will have to report back on the parts quality after I put more rounds through it. I've always heard good things about Colt, but never wanted to spend the extra money. Well now I can honestly say that it is a superior rifle, and worth the extra money. The particular model I got was the AR6721. Anyone in the market for an AR-15 should consider it. The only major downfall I can see with a Colt is they're sometimes hard to find.

Love my spiffy new Stag Arms left hand AR15.

S&W markets a great AR(made by Stag I believe).
    “You come at me with a sword and with a spear. But I come at you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you". 1 Samuel 17, 45-46
    Brian

Lead Moderator
    I now have a stag LH too. Works just fine. I have used Bushmaster, Colt and Olympic before. as long as it goes bang ,everytime it's good enough for me.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Sorry to hear of your bad luck with your Bushmaster. Can't say I've had any issues with the ones I own...since 1995. I am expanding into other brands myself...should be getting my new Rock River Predator Pursuit in the next couple of weeks. I guess I've always thought the major brands of AR's were all very good rifles...

Did you happen to contact Bushmaster?? Perhaps it was a parts failure.....and perhaps they'd be able to get it sorted out for you. Let us know if you decide to contact them...I always like to know how their customer support is.

Again, sorry to hear about the failure of the bolt. Hopefully you can get some sort of resolution out of it from Bushmaster.

Wayne

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    I have decided on a Stag Arms now I need to find out how to get it for the best price possible.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Im surprised by the bolt breaking i have over that amount of rounds in my bushy

though i would dig a colt i will probley try a stag for a lefty next ar i buy unless colt starts making one

and where are the pics?

JD
    Administrator
    I had a similar incident with my Bushmaster. While it's no spring chicken, the round count is very low.

After a trip to the range, Lima noticed that the rear sight was off centered. Further inspection and research showed that while the sight is supposed slightly off centered due to the ball bearing and spring which is supposed to keep the sight on the same line to the front sight, my sight housing would shift pending on elevation.

I contacted Bushmaster regarding the issue and all they said at first was "It's supposed to be off center, nothing is wrong."

I could actually see the ball bearing peaking out of the housing and I finally had to email pictures to Bushmaster Customer Service to get a reply of "Well your warranty is up, but if you pay to send it in, and pay for the repairs we'll take in and fix it." This was after 3 days of trying to figure out what part was busted and them saying that there's nothing wrong.

I like the AR platform, but I'm not overly thrilled at the .223 / 5.56 round in general, but it works.

I'm comptemplating just picking up a whole new 20" upper to replace the 16" ban upper and just replace the rear sight later.

I'm either going to go with a Rock River Arms upper or a Stag.

Just wondering how new are your guys bushmasters that are having problems?

Mine was bought new in 96 or 97

Wondering if they are suffering the old quality is excellent till they get swamped then out the window

JD
    Administrator
    Mine was bought in Sep '03

OD*
    Recently the bolt broke in my Bushmaster.
    Not an uncommon occurrence in Bushmaster's if you follow the writings of Clint Smith & Pat Rogers. Apparently they see this with some regularly in their defensive rifle courses. I love my Bushy M4gery and have never had a minutes problem with it, but if there would ever be a SHTF situation, one of my Colt's would be the first one grabbed.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

I'll get some pictures up shortly, and I'll put up some pics of my new colt. I bought my bushmaster in late 04. Don't get me wrong, the bushmaster isn't that bad. Im just kind of strange when it comes to to things breaking on my guns. Colt has produced over 90% of the rifles chambered in 5.56mm. I don't think that would be the case if they didn't put out a good product. I have an Armalite ar-10 that I like alot. But as far as Ar-15's go, I think Im going to fix my bushmaster and retire it to my safe. Also Im not left handed so I don't know if this would be enough. But on my new colt it has a cartridge case deflector, which colt claims makes it suitable for right and left hand shooters.

Lead Moderator
    Colts seem to be fine rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by bmwaddicted View Post
    Colt has produced over 90% of the rifles chambered in 5.56mm. I don't think that would be the case if they didn't put out a good product.
    Or perhaps because they have a Govt. contract. ?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Colts seem to be fine rifles.

Or perhaps because they have a Govt. contract. ?
    They sell to a lot more than just the U.S. Govt.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Colts are fine rifles , IMHO a bit over priced , but top notch . A bolt breaking happens , As with any semi auto firearm be it rifle or pistol it kinda is best if the owner researches a bit , and brings it up to spec ( almost none will meet a factory or . gov spec as they go home to an owner ) Reality is entry machinests are not paid a large wage , and like all " minimum wage workers " they make mistakes , assemblers are paid less . Even if you love guns after 12 to 18 months of no advancement and no raise you get to makeing them like cars . If you want " as perfect as it can be " the get an lmt , larue , or even a wilson or brown ... other than that learn about your gun , stock spare parts , and go on . My rra may well fail someday , but if it does likely i have the parts to get it up and running again . the same as i do for browning hp's , 1911s , most S&W revolvers , and my Kahrs .. I dont stock everything that may fail , but i try and have what is common to fail on hand for anything i own .. and the entire BCG is common for an ar . So have a full spare properly staked with proper gas checks and you should be good to go .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links