dilemma.......

This is a discussion on dilemma....... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; well i kinda have a little problem that i am beating my head against a wall trying to figure out the best answer. well i ...

Thread: dilemma.......

dilemma.......

well i kinda have a little problem that i am beating my head against a wall trying to figure out the best answer. well i have a WONDERFUL winchester model 94 in .32 win spec but as many of us know they are going to and already have started to phase out production of the round(only two or three manufactureres still make them). My question is just try to reload them as long as possible and stick with this gun or get another gun in a new caliber and reload both. If i was to get a new gun i would want one that is resonably priced (less than 350 if possible) and would be a good all around gun and not to terribly expensive to reload. I have thought about getting a gun chambered in 7.62x39 but not really sure how cost affective it would be to reload since ammo is still really cheap and i happen to think that most of them are kind of ugly....lol. So let me have it with the suggestions. I know you all will have some GREAT ideas and suggestions for me. Thanx!
    Last edited by palmgopher; June 6th, 2007 at 04:31 AM.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    A Winchester or Marlin .30-30 would be good since that round has been around forever and probably will continue.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakotaranger View Post
    A Winchester or Marlin .30-30 would be good since that round has been around forever and probably will continue.
    agreed.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Prices on Winchesters are really going through the roof now. If you find a good deal, grab it quick.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

OD*
    Depending on when your Winchester was manufactured and its condition, it maybe worth quite a a bit of money.

Me being a Winchester guy, I'd keep the .32WS and reload for it, you can use 30/30 cases if need be.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

VIP Member
    If I recall correctly, that 94 is a family piece? I'd buy as much production ammo as I could and then definitely reload. I don't reload anything, but I hate having wallhangers, especailly if it's a good shooting gun. Getting another rifle in more common caliber wouldn't hurt, either.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

well yes it is a family piece and will not be selling it. i guess mostly what i was trying to find out was a great caliber to have. i might just get a semi cheap single shot break action and put a decent scope on it and there ya go......good set up....lol. i will be reloading the 32 win spec as long as i can get bullets and cases. i love the gun and it is a GREAT SHTF gun and great hunting in the brush gun. one of the great things that work together well. thanx for all the help.

I just picked up a Rossi 7.62x39 break-open for $200. Layaway, actually. Well made.

FYI: Rossi seems to be the only one producing the 39-shooters, at the moment.

I agree with Betty I would source every bit of ammo you can for the one you have, and buy another.

For the other, I would thing about the .30-30Win, or the .44Mag, both in levers. Those rounds will be around for a long time to come, and both are quite adequate hunters/foragers.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakotaranger View Post
    The Winchester 94 .30-30 killed the first game animal on this planet. It has taken more game and men that all other calibers and guns put together. Marlin makes a great .30-30. When we finally destroy this earth, only the cockroach and .30-30 bullets will still be around. I would invest in either of the 2 above mentioned rifles. While doing this, I would also horde as much of the .32 that I could afford. My $.05, inflation, ya know.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

what i am trying to figure out now is either trying to find a "cheap" lever action or get a single shot. the lever action would be preferable but not sure i could swing the price, would have to save longer...lol. dont you hate the big and hard choices!

A good used Marlin 30-30 around here (in very good shape mind you) for anywhere from $175-$250. Just something to think about. I have the upmost respect for the Marlin lever guns.
    “You come at me with a sword and with a spear. But I come at you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you". 1 Samuel 17, 45-46
    Brian

truth be told i would LOVE to get another lever action, either winchester or marlin. just a matter of finding one =o). trust me i will be looking =O)

Here is one for sale on GB. Opening bid is $199.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=73580705

Not a show piece, but probaby good for what you want. I have picked up a few guns by being the 1st and only bidder on there before.

Keep watching on there and you'll likely find one at a good price, especially if you don't mind cosmetic flaws.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

yeah i have been keeping my eyes open on there. hoping to get one towards the end at low price....lol. i will get one eventually either locally or through there =o)

Links