Chrome-Moly or Chrome lined for AR?

This is a discussion on Chrome-Moly or Chrome lined for AR? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Wich one is the better to have on an AR?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chrome-Moly or Chrome lined for AR?

Chrome-Moly or Chrome lined for AR?

Wich one is the better to have on an AR?
    “You come at me with a sword and with a spear. But I come at you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you". 1 Samuel 17, 45-46
    Brian

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Chrome lined are more durable and easier to clean, unlined may be a tad more accurate.

I don't think the average user can show you the difference in accuracy, so I favor the chrome lined.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    Chrome lined are more durable and easier to clean, unlined may be a tad more accurate.

I don't think the average user can show you the difference in accuracy, so I favor the chrome lined.

Matt
    Same here. My AR is not a precision target rifle and I'm sure I'm not skilled enough to tell the difference, even if it were, so I opted for chrome lined.

Chrome-lined.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I shoot chrome-molly for the most part , but my ar is a varmint rifle as much as anything . Chrome lined is a much better choice for most .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Thanks fellas! I believe I'll go with the Chrome lined. It'll be after first of the year. It will be one of these two(probably the one on the bottom w/rear flip sight).

“You come at me with a sword and with a spear. But I come at you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you". 1 Samuel 17, 45-46
    Brian

I like this one REAL well too. This one comes with the tactical removable carry handle(on it in the pic), the 6 position stock. With the chrome lined barrel option retail is $1040. The UTE2 with the (optional) 6 position stock and chrome lined barrel option retails for $1025. So either way I'm cool with it. I know I won't pay full retail at my local dealer so that's even better!

I do have a question though? What's with the short handguard? How does it affect the gun(reliability and whatnot)? Thats where the gas tube is right?
    Brian

Let me suggest another model, the RRA Elite CAR A4. Here's mine:

I think the mid-length hand-guard is the better choice, and the TAC carry handle allows an iron sight co-witness with my Aimpoint.

I bought it through Pete at Legal Transfers in NH, cost me around $880 before tax and shipping plus the FFL transfer. He orders the one he gets with chrome lined barrels...awesome rifle! Here's his website:

http://www.ar15sales.com/

Call him and he will hook you up.

Whamonkey: That's it! I love it! I guess I didn't go far enough up the list when I was at RRA's site. I am AR challenged when it comes to knowing pretty much anything about them. So for now I'm depending on people with experience and that's how I decided to get a RRA. The looks are not as important as the function but I really really like the way your Elite CAR A4 looks. When I think, cool AR hmmm...your AR is what pops up in my head! I gotta wait 8 months before I can get one though. That's gonna drive me nuts!!!

Oh and thank you for the link. I'll definitely call for prices tomarrow! I know I'm not able to buy just yet but hey anything could happen and maybe I could get it sooner!
    Brian

Hope you can join the club sooner! I love this rifle, very fun to shoot, although ammo is getting a bit expensive. I forgot to mention that the version Pete gets have Wilson barrels and Wylde chambers (that's a good thing)....ask him, he'll explain!

Things to consider after you buy......

Optics
    Case
    Ammo
    Sling

Start saving up!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by whamonkey View Post
    Hope you can join the club sooner! I love this rifle, very fun to shoot, although ammo is getting a bit expensive. I forgot to mention that the version Pete gets have Wilson barrels and Wylde chambers (that's a good thing)....ask him, he'll explain!

Things to consider after you buy......

Optics
    Case
    Ammo
    Sling

Start saving up!!!!
    Thanks brother!
    I'm thinking about one of these:

It is Truglo's 2X red dot. I know I know I've heard all the you get what you pay for stuff but a buddy of mine has one of these on his AR and he has shot several thre gun matches. Not to mention all the times we have practiced in the rain with it. Any way would it work on the UTE2 or should I do you think the flat top A4 would be better too. I kind of like the idea of the ruggedness of UTE2's rear site. Honestly I don't know for sure If I'll even put any kind of optic on it at all.
    Last edited by Alien Nation; June 11th, 2007 at 01:55 PM.
    Brian

VIP Member
    This is my RRA Elite with an EoTech Holosight:

Great rifles!
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

JD
    Administrator
    Team American, are those the mid-length hand guards on a 16" upper? Or is it a standard 20" the angle of the photo makes it a little hard to tell.

VIP Member
    John, it's the 16" barrel with mid-length handguards...I really like the overall balance and extra sight radius from the mid-length...

You can also attach a bayonet to this rifle...I don't think the M4 handguards will allow that, but I may be wrong about this (I was in the Air Force, ya know...)
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Team American View Post

You can also attach a bayonet to this rifle...I don't think the M4 handguards will allow that, but I may be wrong about this (I was in the Air Force, ya know...)
    It'll go on IIRC, it just doesn't stick out as far. It's the "Dissapator" models with the 16" bbl and full length hand guards that you can't fix a standard bayonet on.

I'm torn between getting a midlength 16" upper or a standard 20", I think I'm going to go with a 20" that 4" does help at distance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links