Finally got to fire a 6.8 AR

This is a discussion on Finally got to fire a 6.8 AR within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; 6.8 Review I'm going to wait and see how popular this round is before I buy an upper, but it's definitely and improvement over the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally got to fire a 6.8 AR

6.8 Review

I'm going to wait and see how popular this round is before I buy an upper, but it's definitely and improvement over the M4 5.56.

JD
    Administrator
    My brother-in-law has one, it's not just the ammo that's the pain right now, it's finding the mags which is really silly seeing as how it's only the follower that gets changed IIRC.

It's got a little more kick, but the buffer system of the AR handles it nicely and in terms of ballistics the 6.8 has more appeal to me that the 5.56.

Like Jamie Young said, if it takes off I'd probably buy one, unfortunately I have a feeling that it's going to fall by the wayside.

It's all ready been around for a while, and not gone too far.

The .17 HMR took off faster than the 6.8 has thus far and there was absolutely no real reason for it (wait, I have a HMR...) and while the 6.8 round itself has advantages over the 5.56, it's still using the same platform. I think that maybe if they had come up with something new design wise for the firearm they may have had more success.

Only time will tell.

what about 6.5 over the 6.8 i see no point in the hmr and dont have one either

Either is an improvement over the 5.56. If the Military switches calibers then I will, too.

I know just what i have read and havent bother to read a lot ..

When they bring back the 30-06 ill get excited..lol

what about this new 450 i think it was in the AR-15 seen that yet?

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    I have actually been considering an AR in 6.8 or 6.5 for my wife to start hunting with me. She has picky tastes in rifles that only an AR seems to satisfy.

Would you folks recommend either caliber for deer or elk?
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

They are at my minimum caliber.

The 6.8 and 6.5 are not varmint calibers.

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Young View Post
    They are at my minimum caliber.

UMMMM Why not.

WARNING IF YOU ARE AT ALL SQUEAMISH DO NOT CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW AND WATCH THE FREE VIDEOS!!!!!!

http://www.dogbegone.com according to these guys .50BMG is a Varmint caliber.

W
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

A 6.5 or 6.8 would be a good addition. I would also love to try the 450 Bushmaster when it becomes available. I've also heard good things about the .50 Beowulf. That's one of the great things about the AR platforms, all the options in uppers.

For most shooting, I like the 5.56, especially since it's so economical. And since I've got a DPMS AP4 in .308, I don't have the pressing need for the larger caliber, but oftentimes, it would be handier just to bring another upper instead of a complete rifle.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Some info on the 6.5 and 6.8: http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=5818

I don't have any interest in the 6.8 as it is pretty close to the BlackHills 77gr Mk (AKA MK262). The 6.5 on the other hand gives you much better long range capability.

C4
    G&R Tactical, LLC
    www.GRTactical.com

The nice thing about the 6.8 SPC is the ability to have two uppers for your AR. A 5.56mm or 6.8mm merely by removing two pins and exchanging uppers. 5.56 can be loaded in one set of mags, and the 6.8 in another. A good high speed, fragmenting round for close combat and a good penetrating round for targets behind cover.
    ""If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, I either won't need more or, more won't help me.""

The nice thing about the 6.8 SPC is the ability to have two uppers for your AR. A 5.56mm or 6.8mm merely by removing two pins and exchanging uppers. 5.56 can be loaded in one set of mags, and the 6.8 in another. A good high speed, fragmenting round for close combat and a good penetrating round for targets behind cover.
    Uppers are available for the 6.5 as well. One of the best AR manufacturers in the country makes them (Sabre Defence).

C4
    G&R Tactical, LLC
    www.GRTactical.com

Anything that's fast and flat will do, right? There are some 7mm that match that.

Saw some 20mm cartridges the other day. The pic below shows a comparison between: .223, .338 Lapua, .50 BMG and 20mm. Those sausages look like they could remove the treads from a tank. Fast & flat? Flat enough for varminting, I'd think. A bit expensive, probably.
    Attached Images
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Anything that's fast and flat will do, right? There are some 7mm that match that.

I don't know if you'll get the same expansion and fragmentation against a critter with a 6.5 or 6.8. Sure it'll kill the thing, but the ability to quickly transfer energy in small bodied animals tends to be with the fast lighter bullets. I think the 6.8 and .243 may be a little much for most varmints.

I think the 6.8 and .243 may be a little much for most varmints.
    Unless they are wearing a "tablecloth" on their head with a black t-shirt over their face.
    ""If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, I either won't need more or, more won't help me.""

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links