Mosin Nagant Truck Gun?

Mosin Nagant Truck Gun?

This is a discussion on Mosin Nagant Truck Gun? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello all, Just bought a new (to me) pickup, and I've been pondering acquiring an inexpensive rifle that could live full-time in my truck, just ...

Mosin Nagant Truck Gun?

Hello all,
    Just bought a new (to me) pickup, and I've been pondering acquiring an inexpensive rifle that could live full-time in my truck, just in case the S were to HTF while I was out and about. Originally I was thinking to just grab a used .22 from my local pawn shop, but Big 5 here has surplus Mosin Nagants for less then $100, I'm considering maybe one of those instead. Can't remember the model # as I'm typing this (M44 maybe?), but it's the real common version with the folding spike bayonet. Does anyone have any input? Positive/negative experiences with the Mosin Nagant? A better suggestion for a cheap truck gun that would have a little more firepower then my .22 alternative? Anything I haven't thought of regarding a permanent truck gun in the first place? Thanks in advance.
    .40 is fine.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Great choice. It's what I use for my truck gun: an M44. They're tough, powerful, inexpensive and shoot Minute-Of-Bad-Guy out as far as you will ever have to shoot defensively.

You can't hurt them, but if you did, you A) wouldn't be out much money; and B) could just pick up another one pretty cheaply.

But beware: they multiply.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

The Nagant is a solid weapon that would serve well. My other suggestion as far as bolt guns go is the Enfield No.4Mk1:

Here is my No.4 just to show you what can be done with one:

Also a good SKS or lever gun in .44mag or 30-30 would be good.

I would venture to say that my Enfield is my favorite. 10 rounds of potent .303British, fast cycling bolt and MOA accurate at 100 yards. Even with the barrel cut it still shhots well out to 300yards.
    “You come at me with a sword and with a spear. But I come at you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you". 1 Samuel 17, 45-46
    Brian

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    You could do a whole lot worse than a nag for a utility rifle .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Senior Moderator
    The M44 is a great truck gun. Be aware that they are made to have the bayonet extended and shoot better that way.

My M44 is my ride around beater gun, if Russian peasants couldn't hurt them you would be hard pressed too.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I'd be afraid I'd come out to a busted window and short one gun someday.

FMC

Senior Moderator
    Its a great truck gun...its short and handy.

Keep it behind the seat in a mounted rack out of sight. It'll be there if you need it and its easier on the gun when its in a rack, with quick access.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Enfield?

I would venture to say that my Enfield is my favorite. 10 rounds of potent .303British, fast cycling bolt and MOA accurate at 100 yards. Even with the barrel cut it still shhots well out to 300yards.[/QUOTE]

I saw those Enfields at Big 5 as well, for not a whole lot more money. Isn't that .303 a lot more $$ than 7.62x54r though?
    .40 is fine.

BAC
    We have to Mosin Nagants, one of them being the M44, and though I don't own a truck (Good ol' Cherokee) I've been planning to do the same thing.

However, my question to you is what role do you want this gun to fill? It's bolt-action, so it's not fast for follow-ups (I consider myself pretty proficient with bolt guns, and they're simply not as fast as a semi-auto). It's a large caliber, but damn it makes noise and calls attention to you (ask someone standing to the side to see how big the fireball coming out of your muzzle is).

Intuitively, I would recommend an old SKS. Shorten 'er up, toss the wood furniture and replace with synthetic, and you've got yourself a reliable semi-automatic that shoots a very COMMON ammunition for a good price. Hide it well enough in the truck and you shouldn't need to worry about having it stolen.

-B

I saw those Enfields at Big 5 as well, for not a whole lot more money. Isn't that .303 a lot more $$ than 7.62x54r though?
    Well, yes it is. Wolf has a 150gr SP load and a 174gr FMJ both for around $13 dollars per 20 rounds. It is part of thier Gold line which is brass cased. It is very good ammo. With the 150gr load my No.4 will shoot right around MOA. I haven't tried the FMJ's yet. You can get others like S&B for around $10 a box of 20. You can still get good deals on surplus ammo but I refuse to shoot corrosive ammo in my gun and pretty much all military rounds from the 40's and 50's is corrosive. In most calibers too I believe(remember the Wolf and this other I'm talking about is new quality loaded ammo). These companies have loads for the .303B
    Winchester-180-Grain Power-Point SP
    PMC-180gr SP
    Wolf-150gr SP(my2cnd favorite),174gr FMJ
    S&B-180gr FMJ
    Remington-180gr SP (Core-Lokt Bullet)
    Hornady-150gr SP(my favorite)
    Federal-180gr SP= (Speer Hot-Cor), 150gr SP
    UMC-174-Grain FMJ
    With so many of the larger ammo compaies loading the .303B it's here to stay! Now I wil admit that some of this ammo listed will run a little over $20/box but it is premium domestic ammo. Some like, S&B and Wolf(Gold line is made in Yugoslavia) are imported but they are every bit as good as thier domestic counter parts.
    “You come at me with a sword and with a spear. But I come at you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you". 1 Samuel 17, 45-46
    Brian

Intuitively, I would recommend an old SKS. Shorten 'er up, toss the wood furniture and replace with synthetic, and you've got yourself a reliable semi-automatic that shoots a very COMMON ammunition for a good price. Hide it well enough in the truck and you shouldn't need to worry about having it stolen.
    -B
    That is very true. I wouldn't be without mine. I keep two guns in the Jeep(I have a Cherokee too) when I'm gonna be out and about quite a bit. My my SKS and my .303B. I don't leave them in there all the time just when I plan to be gone for awhile. Why? My SKS is my iron sighted semi-auto for situations that may require that sort. My .303B for if I need more precision.
    Brian

The carbines are great, never thought of using one for a "Truck gun",...I dont have a truck....lol. They are very easy to weild, and shoot. As far as it being a "slow" bolt action,...well I think you only need one shot for SD or to blow a whole through 12 inches of cinder block. Those things are scary powerfull, and put out a nice fat fireball. And yes they are like rabbits, they do mutiply pretty quickly,...I say buy it. Aimsurplus has them for less than $70, and all the Mosin's I have bought through them have been excellent shooters.

I recently acquired a M44 as my truck gun. I'd reccomend it, or a M38 (same thing w/o bayonet). Short, handy, powerful, if you miss the BG at least all his hair will be burned off. And if you have the safety on and a BG gets it, hell never be able to figure it out.

There is a product designed to hang under the window in the back of a cab of a pick up. It has pockets for all sorts of tools and maps and stuff. It also has a pocket that runs the whole length of the bottom and is just right for a rifle, give those a look. (I'll see if I can dig up a link, I think LMC truck and JC Whitney have them under like "Cab Organizer."
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Links