Enfield & Webley!

This is a discussion on Enfield & Webley! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Finally got around to sharing some pictures of these, from my WWII British collection. The Enfield No.4 Mk I .303 w/ bayonets and the Webley ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enfield & Webley!

Enfield & Webley!

Finally got around to sharing some pictures of these, from my WWII British collection. The Enfield No.4 Mk I .303 w/ bayonets and the Webley .455. Now if I could only get a Bren gun. I missed out on a Sten at a great price a number of years ago. Great pieces of history, conjuring up thoughts of Dunkirk and El Alamein and the Orne River Bridge.

Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Ahhh - history! That's a sharp lookin' MkIV and nice you have the bayo' to go with it. The MkVI - well - simply delightful.

I have posted my MkVI before and the MkIV I have is sporterized (I didn't do it, honest - someone else did!) - but it does make a real nice #2 deer rifle and I love the Enfield action (yeah - even the two stage trigger!) - but then I teethed on these in early 60's.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Shiny. Very nice pictures, and probably even better guns.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Senior Moderator
    Very Nice I have always wanted a Webley
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Cool! Don't have a Webley, but I do have a No4MK1*, that is my backup SHTF gun, shown here with No9 bayonet, and 80 rounds clipped in cheapo bandolier.

One of these days I'd love to get a good Webley. They always seem to come around when there is NO money in the house. :(
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

I wish I had bought one of thr revolvers back in the sixtys when they were cheap.

Nice collection, now go give jerry hell lad!!

Beautiful guns!

I'm only a 25yr old so I guess I missed those days when these could be had for a song...but I have two Enfields, a 1918 No1MkIII and a No4MkI. My No4 is in rough shape (I think there used to be metal under the "ferrous oxide" finish) and is considered unshootable, closing on a field gauge, so I'm now in the market for a nice No4 with no headspace issues so I can have a good fun 303 shooter.

I'd LOVE a Webley, but my budget keeps going down and prices keep going up. Same with a Martini-Henry, and a Boer War era Lee Metford, but thems not in the cards.

I was really fortunate to get the Enfield, because a friend of mine had a line into a group that was being released from the Brit armory. I got the pick of the crop of a batch of 10, with the best looking, best matching wood. The bayonets I came up with at gun shows. I've got a bandolier and an old Tommy helmet, as well. One of these days, I'm going to fix up a good way to display them all.

The Webley was a gift from another close friend, who has also given me four other military rifles. I'll have to post pics of some of those, too.

The one I want to get (and wish I'd picked up when they were really cheap) is an Enfield Jungle Carbine. They used to be everywhere, but haven't seen many around, lately. Saw a couple that had been sporterized, but the true military version holds more interest for me.

A Martini-Henry would be cool to have, especially if you like the Zulu movies! Now, how about a chorus of "Men of Harlech" . . .
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Assistant Administrator
    Ahh yes the MkV Jungle ......... got mine maybe 3 years ago and even then IIRC they were selling for $175. Not so easy to find but keep looking and you should snag one.

Great rifles (carbines) .... recoil is a tad harder because lighter but - for me, incredibly accurate for what they are. With rear sight folded down and using the shorter range peep sight - at 100 yards it's easy to hit small steel plate every time. Recoil pad is to extend length a bit for me and, more comfortable!

Chris - P95

I had one once too Chris. I got it for $100 from an elderly gentleman that I used to hunt with. My dumb a.. sold it! I sure wish I had'nt done that. I must use this oportunity to shamelessly show off my Enfield:

I didn't start this sporterization but I sure finished it!
    “You come at me with a sword and with a spear. But I come at you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you". 1 Samuel 17, 45-46
    Brian

Assistant Administrator
    Looks nice - and I can understand your angst having sold it.

Seems overall most of us rue selling a gun ....... with few exceptions. Sometimes of course it is a means to an end - to get another more desirable weapon (at the time) - but heck - regret so often comes back to bite!
    Chris - P95

My bad. I still have the one in the pics. I ment that I used to have a No.5 that I got for $100 and sold it later.
    “You come at me with a sword and with a spear. But I come at you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you". 1 Samuel 17, 45-46
    Brian

Assistant Administrator
    My bad too because I had assumed quickly but I thought after - gun in pic has longer barrel and no flash hider cone!!! No prob's ... your sporter is overall similar to mine probably - and the IV's do make good ones IMO.
    Chris - P95

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Very nice, always wanted one of the blade bayonets, just have the spike for my No.4

As a cadet we used to drill with No.4 with spike bayonets, one kid put the spike through his shoulder while attempting to shoudler arms.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links