Are Colt Rifles Better?

Are Colt Rifles Better?

This is a discussion on Are Colt Rifles Better? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm planning on purchasing an "M4"pretty soon. I've been checking out several different brands and have noticed that the Colt rifles are more expensive. I've ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are Colt Rifles Better?

Are Colt Rifles Better?

I'm planning on purchasing an "M4"pretty soon. I've been checking out several different brands and have noticed that the Colt rifles are more expensive. I've been dealing with Colt Rifles for years being in the military and I've seen them take a serious licking, but as long as you keep them clean and lubed they'll keep on ticking. I'm leaning toward buying a colt, but I've seen several other brands the are less expensive. Is there much of a difference? Overpriced or quality product?

Paratroop23

"You'll have fewer problems with a Colt"- Pat Rogers

JT
    Colts are good, but over priced IMO. I would go with a Bushmaster, RRA, or Stag. Just as good of gun for a whole lot less.

I also don't like the fact that Colt doesn’t like selling to civilians.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Lead Moderator
    Like JT, I will not buy Colt for the fact they seem to not want their guns in civilian hands. Alot of other makers would work suitably as well. check out AR15.com for more info.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    Colts are an over priced good product. If it were my dime, I would buy another RRA.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Colts are consistent. They mag check parts for microscopic cracks or voids in critical parts such as the bolt, bolt carrier group , ect. This ensures a consistent rifle , but ads cost due to the extra steps , machine time, ect.. If i were headed to the sand box , or the swat team i dont think i could have a better FACTORY rifle than a colt . Howeaver since i dont put the roundcount thro my ar that the pro's do , and it is inspected and cleaned more often it is a Rock River . I have full faith in it for my uses as i would a bushy or a stag . In summation is Colt worth the price ... not for me the way i use a rifle nowdays , were i back on the team and training hard it would be .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

BAC
    I'm somewhat partial to LWRC. Judging by the dialogs between myself and the company, and with the few I know who have an LW rifle they're all very pleased with them. They'll be getting my business, most likely, when time comes for my own M4gery.

Colt seems a bit expensive, methinks, but the LW rifles aren't cheap either.

-B

OD*
    For Colt not liking to sell to civilians, the are a bunch of LE6920s being bought by civilians. Anyone who claims Colt doesn't sell to civilians, is technically correct, they sell to distributors, like most all manufacturers. Find a different distributor.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Young View Post
    "You'll have fewer problems with a Colt"- Pat Rogers
    Clint Smith says the same.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

I own three Colt AR's, one is a LE6920 and it is a great weapon. My neighbor across the street has an RRA and it is also a great weapon. You can't go wrong with either in my book.
    Semper Paratus (Always Ready)

I think Colt has better quality control and will have fewer problems. I think they are probably over priced. I think they are worth a premium price, but think Colt has them priced too much over value.

Of all my friends with AR's mine is the only Colt. (A2 Govt. Carbine.) And they do drool over it although I think a couple of my friends guns are just as good.

The only reason I ended up with a genuine Colt is because the deal fell into my lap. I traded a motorcycle for it, and think I got the better deal. I just wish I had a flat top upper on it.

Will probably end up getting a non OEM flat top because I don't want to pay $800 for a Colt upper. I don't want to get rediculous and do want to have an EOTech for it so it will probably be the non OEM.

Oh yeah... It's a tack driver with the iron sights, no doubt about it!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Like you I spent 26 years with M16s and M4s Colts and FNs. When I retired I did a bunch of research and ended up buying a 6920. I guess I lucked out because I had no problems finding one, and after sending in the card for the lifetime warranty, no one from Colt has shown up trying to get the rifle back.

Havenít had a problem with it yet, Iíve shot some matches with it and taken a couple classes.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

I own a colt. I don't think the quality is really any higher than Bushmaster, RRA, etc. The only reason that I have this gun is because a) it was very inexpensive b) Colt keeps detailed records of their guns and I live in a state where you have to have a pre-ban gun if you want all of the evil features. I would feel just as happy with a BM, RRA, or any of the other top manufacturers out there. If I were buying new and I didn't have to worry about the assault weapons ban then I would probably go with RRA as I have really liked their stuff. Bottom line is that you won't go wrong with buying a Colt, but I think that there are better deals on the guns without the pony and they will be just as reliable. More money saved on the gun equals more money towards accessories and ammo. Only my opinion of course.

Excellent points from all of you and thanks for your replys. Especially the points about having some money left over for ammo and accessories! .223 prices are getting ridiculous!! I really don't need an optic. So that won't be part of my decision making process, but on second thought...it would be cool to have an Aimpoint or EOTech and they aren't cheap.

I was looking at the Colt LE 6920 or LE 1020 (New Piston Operated Carbine available this fall)

I'm going to look a little closer at the DPMS, RRA and Bushmaster rifles though.

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    No. They are not.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links