anybody have any info on marlins lever actions/guide guns and info on 45/70 caliber?

anybody have any info on marlins lever actions/guide guns and info on 45/70 caliber?

This is a discussion on anybody have any info on marlins lever actions/guide guns and info on 45/70 caliber? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; hello again, moving to Washington state, ft Lewis(us.army) and i would not mind having a nice lever action, and marlin seems to make a sharp ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anybody have any info on marlins lever actions/guide guns and info on 45/70 caliber?

Smile anybody have any info on marlins lever actions/guide guns and info on 45/70 caliber?

hello again, moving to Washington state, ft Lewis(us.army) and i would not mind having a nice lever action, and marlin seems to make a sharp rifle, now, I would like all the info possible on lever actions, I read alot on here and other sites about how they make good "truck" / anything else guns and I have always like them like 1911's, and tell me about the 45-70 load if possible, thanks and god bless

the 45/70 us a good round if you reload you can go from mild to wild .. I usually load a 500 grain bullet and shoot in my encore ..

the 405 Grain Factorys are pretty mild due to worry you might load them in a old rifle like a trapdoor..

Not a lot to say on the 45/70 other than that

No exp with the Marlin though

Assistant Administrator
    The 45-70 is amazing - it came out around IIRC 1873 or so - as of course a BP load. Bud is right - mild to wild if you reload which for me is way to go. I have used Rem factory but it is safely mild so as not to hurt the old trap doors etc - not much use to me (or Bud!).

I have a Marlin lever in .44 mag - nice gun in many ways altho I have the micro groove version and so really have to stick to jackets. I do believe I have seen some ad's in the gun rags for some newer levers - do some digging on Marlin stuff - may find some nice options. Excuse red dot on mine - seems heretical on such guns but - well - old eyes ya know!

Ahhh - 45-70's ..........

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Smile How powerful is the 45-70 in comparison to other rifle rounds

How powerful is the 45-70 in comparison to other rifle rounds and is getting a scope on one and which kind to mount?

Assistant Administrator
    Well - with about 52 grains of RL7 behind a 405 - a vel of about 1900 is possible so - that's about an ME of 3200 ft lbs - not shabby! That tho only useable in a tough gun like Ruger #1.

By comparison a std .308 throwing a 150 grainer gives about 2400 ft lbs .. so you can see the potential in the round is considerable. My medium+ load for BFR revolver has about 1550 ft lbs which is still useful. The top loads are potentially a bit bruising!!

A good scope is a good investment and with good rings - Leupold is one example. Gotta be able to take the recoil. That said some of the other scopes like Redfield, Bushnell etc are still worthy of consideration. Leave the real ''cheapies'' tho.
    Chris - P95

In a Ruger #1 ya can load almost to a 458 winchester Mag if you feel up to it

VIP Member
    Love mine, it is my favorite deer rifle. I put on a Leupold scout scope & it's really accurate!
    Attached Images
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Assistant Administrator
    In a Ruger #1 ya can load almost to a 458 winchester Mag if you feel up to it
    Maybe Bud - but that's pushing it I reckon - seeing as the .458 can be pushed to 2400 with a 400 grainer - which gives an absurd 4670 ft lbs

Anyways - thing I find is the Ruger #1 is really a very small and not over heavy rifle - and hot loads feel like Buffalo rounds . even with some extra shoulder padding! And I enjoy recoil - normally
    Chris - P95

Im just saying if your brave enough you can almost get it there with the hotter loads in some of the books for ruger only

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I've got a Marlin 1895, and with the right ammo, that puppy is a tack driver.

And you can load it up to some pretty frightening levels of ballistic destruction.

They're good rifles and good buys.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Smile what type of game "can" be takin with a round like 45-70?

what type of game "can" responsibly be taken with a round like 45-70? what the largest and is buying ammo expensive since i don't reload?

Id say a Grizz would fall just fine to a 45/70 depending on ammo bufflo bore would for sure get it done

ammo is one par with most rifles 22-30$ a box

the more wild round ala bufflo bore 30-60 a box

buffalo bore?whats that?

and a grizzly, seriously? you would feel confident with a lever 45-70 against one, im not being sarcastic just trying to be educated with the wealth of knowledge on this site, i thank you all for your help, and schooling a soldier and Im more used to the more modern rounds,308,338,30-06,7.62x39 and .223 where does it rank among the calibers such as these?
    Last edited by datruthab123; June 14th, 2007 at 11:39 PM. Reason: spelling

Assistant Administrator
    buffalo bore?whats that?
    A source (manufacturer) for strong loads in 45-70, among others!

Forget .223, and 7.62x39 . and note my figures above comparing .308 with a hot 45-70 load . it is truly a Buffalo gun potentially and no grizz would stand too much chance!!!

This is in the realms of (relatively) slow and heavy - but tremendous energy .. haven't checked figures but will possibly exceed a 7mm mag type round in energy ...... maybe up nearer 375 H&H.
    Chris - P95

Now that .338 Lapua is a good round for med/lg game as well but I don't think as common a caliber.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links