M1 vs. AR-15

This is a discussion on M1 vs. AR-15 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My next very expensive rifle purchase will be next spring after the tax refund check. I am torn between spending $1,000 on an AR or ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: M1 vs. AR-15

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar

M1Garand vs. AR-15

My next very expensive rifle purchase will be next spring after the tax refund check.

I am torn between spending $1,000 on an AR or an M1.

Just for giggles what would you select and why?

I already have an AK platform(Norinco) in the inventory.........

I have owned a Colt AR in the past...had to sell it when I first got married.

With the political strom clouds brewing in the future (potential AWB) my mind says AR but my heart says M1 (I'm a history buff).
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator

Question

Are we talking M1A (M14), M1 Carbine, or M1 Garand?

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    We have both at my house .My son has the M1 an I have the AR and
    I must tell you from power and range M1 has it all over the AR.The
    AR you can load easier and you have more capacity 30 to 8 and you
    don't have to worry about M1 thumb.But as far as cost if you not
    going to reload the AR is cheaper to shoot.As I said if you can over time buy both as but I can't steer you which to buy first.

I'd part with my AR15 long before I'd part with my M1. My M1 has proved itself in 20 years of high-power competition, firing thousands of rounds. The .30-06 is far better than the .223 for most uses in my view. It delivers more punch at any range. The only advantage that the .223 has is that one can carry more of them. The M1 is more rugged than the AR15 in my opinion. My M1 will shoot indefinitely without cleaning. My AR15 gets balky after a few hundred rounds.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    As much as I like AR's, trying to compare one to any of the M1 platforms is like trying to compare a meatcleaver to a plastic steak knife. You can't.

So, buy both of them.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Assistant Administrator
    I am assuming M1A here and if correct it really is rather apples and oranges IMO.

We are looking at two very different cal's - two very different actions. One rifle is gonna win at long range over the other .......... maybe AR good to 300 or so - M1A double that.

I know purchases are not made just on aesthetics - but in that department the M1 is the easy winner IMO - of course way heavier.

I would choose M1 before an AR - as I regard it as a true MBR - bit like the 03 Springer. The AR is sure a battle rifle but more in fact a battle carbine... great tool but for me 2nd in the choice area.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    Both are great rifles. I guess it all comes down to purpose and want. what is you want and purpose for this rifle?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

JD
    Administrator
    I tried the Springfield SOCOM, and it didn't work for me.

As a distance gun, a standard M1A is the way to go, BUT with a 20" AR upper you can still hit a man at 500 yards if you know what your doing.

My only problems with the M1A were that I couldn't get a smooth mag change to save my life, and I just really prefer something with a pistol gip stock, and for the M1A that would have cost about $350 to $400, with that I can by another upper for my AR and have a close up gun and a distance gun.

The mags for the M1A cost double that of a AR mag.

Ammo is more expensive.

Other than those things I really liked the M1A.

Some say the AR is fussy after a few hundred rounds, and while that may be the case, even in combat I had time to clean my rifle and never had a jam in a firefight.

It holds more rounds, but I'm not over thrilled with the man stopping ability of the 5.56 NATO *(note I said NATO meaning FMJ) gimme some JHPs and I'm happy.

I'd go for the AR, and opt out for a Mitchell Mauser K98 for the 'history buff' in me...

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flmitchell View Post
    I'd go for the AR, and opt out for a Mitchell Mauser K98 for the 'history buff' in me...
    Sorry no German rifles for me. Although the Mausers are some of the finest rifles ever made I can't in good conscience have a Nazi gun in my home. I can't look at that as just a Mauser, it represents much more than that to me.

Even though one of these old warhorses probably took another's life, I can at least say to myself that a Garand or an Enfield was used to defeat the forces of evil and oppression.

I don't want to hijack my own thread though and start a heated discussion about why or why not someone should own one of these rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Both are great rifles. I guess it all comes down to purpose and want. what is you want and purpose for this rifle?
    Well I'm not one of the tacticool cats that will start saying I want one so I can snipe zombies at 1,000 yards..... I think my SHTF fantasies can be fufilled with my AK and my Rem 870.

Both would serve as range shooters. I guess the AR is more of a keeping up with the Jones' type thing. The Garand would be a proud piece of history, a living, breathing, shooting, relic from the greatest generation.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Lead Moderator
    Yeah, my AR is more home/ general defense and plinking. I have shot M1 and M1A rifles , great rifles, but the ammo is more expensive.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I like the design of the M1A over the AR15.

I'd get the (or another) AR15 for the potential of an AWB you first stated...

I got a BushMaster...with 2K rounds of ammo...it's a start

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    I would go for the Garand.

Since you have an AK, and a nice shotty your short/mid distance needs are covered quite well, but nothing really for effective long range use. The 30-06 would fit the bill better (imo) than anything chambered in .223. Plus ,as you stated,it is a piece of history, and while some places are making new ones, once they are gone thats it On the other hand, in some form or fashion the AR will always be around (it is the US version of the AK after all)

The AR is cheaper to run and, most likely it is also easier/cheaper to find parts for the platform. so if those are considerations then the AR may be your better option.

However, the extra power, accuracy and effective range not to mention the history make the gun worth it for me. (Hopefully, you will never need to use something with that extra range/power but its nice to have options.)
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    Sorry no German rifles for me. Although the Mausers are some of the finest rifles ever made I can't in good conscience have a Nazi gun in my home. I can't look at that as just a Mauser, it represents much more than that to me.
    Nazi rifle? Depends when it was made. You could always get a pre-1933 model.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    As a distance gun, a standard M1A is the way to go, BUT with a 20" AR upper you can still hit a man at 500 yards if you know what your doing.
    If the shooter does his part, an AR can definitely hit out quite a ways. However, I wouldn't count on much terminal effect.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links