Range Report: Savage 12FLV .223 rifle (ongoing)

This is a discussion on Range Report: Savage 12FLV .223 rifle (ongoing) within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Savage 12FLV Bolt-Action Rifle: Range Report #1 This is intended to be an ongoing history of using my Savage 12 at the range. I will ...

Savage 12FLV Bolt-Action Rifle: Range Report #1

This is intended to be an ongoing history of using my Savage 12 at the range. I will track the number of shots, jams/failures, goal while at the range, general comments on ergonomics and performance, and cleanings ... over the life of the rifle, from new. Today's installment is about the first range day since opening the box. Future posts will cover subsequent sessions, comments as to performance, what I'm trying to achieve at the range sessions, how the gun's parts are holding up, how recent gunsmithing changes are working, and so on.

Hopefully, someone will find this useful.

Gun: Savage 12FLV bolt-action rifle. Chambered in .223, this rifle has a 26" heavy, free-floated barrel in 1:9" twist, bedded synthetic stock, Accu-Trigger, 4rd internal magazine, ~9 lbs. $500 street price, though you might find it for less if you hunt around. Being left-handed, the 12 FLV nicely fits the bill with its lefty bolt and eject.

Purpose: Range monkey.

Carry Mode: Uh ... no. It's over 10 lbs with the scope and bipod. While it can be carried with a sling, I clearly see why H.K. and others try so hard to make lightweight battle rifles for soldiers in the field: 'cause nobody would want to carry something so heavy all day long, up and down hills. If I were hunting with this, I'd want it to be sub-6lb for sure. Which likely explains my love for carbines, guide guns, etc. In the field, give me my Marlin 1894P .44mag lever-action guide gun, every time.

June 17, 2007 -- First range session, after purchase.

• Goal -- Start the break-in period of the gun, loosen up the action. Get comfortable with the Accu-Trigger feel.

• Initial Field Strip and Cleaning -- Bolt removal requires simultaneously pressing a lever on the right side of the receiver and pulling the trigger, which causes the bolt to slide right out. Removed the stock (via three bolts). Sent a dozen patches through the barrel with Militec-1, until clean, then one more patch to remove the excess. Cleaned the chamber and bolt. Greased the contact surfaces of the bolt and receiver's rails with Militec grease. Wiped down the exterior with a good gun cloth.

• Scope -- Pending arrival of a new Nikon Monarch 6-24x40 scope, I have an inexpensive Barska 10-40x50 scope on the rifle right now, mounted via Talley two-piece rings. The Barska scope is rather low quality, with marginal optical clarity and spotty performance of the lighted mildot reticle. It has the troubling characteristic of slowly jumping out of adjustment, every 5rds or so, nicely moving the POI to the left by fractions of an inch. The scope's adjustments won't allow zero to the point of impact; instead, impact is about 2" to the left of POA. The new Nikon unit that I've got on order is being released in July. Can't wait for the new scope to arrive. If Nikon's other products are any indication, this one should be a winner.

• Bipod -- Harris HBLS, 9-13" rise. With the swivel feature, it's easy to adjust the rifle to vertical, on uneven ground. Of course, as the rifle's only going to be used only on the range, the movement's a pain. Might need to swap for an HBLM model or another unit, for a more-stable platform. So far, I'm resisting using a rifle rest. We'll see.

• Feel -- Heavy, but then it's a range monkey and not intended to be used without a bipod or rifle rest. The bolt's a bit stiff right now, feeling nothing like an old, well-used, large-cal Mauser. The bolt's action is relatively smooth, once it gets going, though it's stiff at the close. The fit of the bolt into the receiver is a bit loose, but that's the feel of the Savage 12's in the lower calibers. It locks up very tightly, otherwise. The synthetic stock is extremely light. Combined with the 26" heavy barrel, the point of balance is somewhere near the forward end of the stock.

• Grip -- The synthetic stock's got a good fit to the barreled action, but it doesn't quite "fit" my hand. There's something about the position of the hand in relation to the barrel axis, the drop and comb height that's not quite perfect. Likely, I'll be looking for an after-market stock. Something a more appropriate for a range unit. Something with a wider, stable front end, perhaps with a thumbhole; with a drop and length of pull that matches my use; with a comb height that works for the range. Something with a bit of decent checkering to keep the hand in place. To my way of thinking, the factory stock isn't a good match for the range.

• Magazine -- The 12FLV has a 4rd internal magazine. I tend to prefer external mags, but then I'm a rebel that way. Give me a detachable magazine every time, if there's a choice. Still, this loads easily and well. Sharp edges on the mag "lips", but then they all have that.

• Ergonomics With the right stock that fits me, it will be very good. Right now, the length of pull's a bit long, the comb is far too low, and the hand isn't in the proper place (for me). Otherwise, things are in the right position for a lefty. The Savage safety is located on the receiver at the rear of the bolt. Pull all the way back for "safe"; mid-way to allow bolt cycling while on "safe"; and all the way forward for "fire". Ambidextrous and simple to use. Bolt removal is a bit tricky the first time, given the need to both press a lever and pull the trigger, but it's better to have it be relatively tough to remove the bolt than to have it pop out when you're cycling the action.

• Shots -- Barrel break-in done the old-fashioned way: just shoot it. 60 rds of 62gr Lake City SS109 "green tip" .223. Not the most accurate of stuff, but sufficient to allow nearly 1" groupings @ 100yds, even with the scope's problems.

• Sight-in -- Sight-in took ~10rds to dial everything in.

• Aim -- (I shoot left handed.) See photos below. Being blind as a bat beyond 50yds or so, scoped rifles are my bag, baby! With the 40x Barska, frankly there's no need for a spotting scope (gotta love it). At 100yds, the field of view is about 2 nanometers. On each of the photos shown below, first shots were aimed at center, with subsequent shots aimed to strike the first hole (of course).

• Accuracy -- The comfort level of the whole package right now is a bit rough. The swiveled bipod needs to be swapped for a more-stable unit; the basic stock needs replacement for better fit and usefulness on a range; soon, it will have a Nikon Monarch 6-24x40 scope. The current groupings of ~1.5" @ 100yds should quickly come down once I get things dialed in. Might even get really motivated, with custom reloads of Lapua brass and Sierra boattail bullets.

• Ejection -- Since the bolt's still a bit stiff, cycling took a bit more effort than expected. Only one round (in 60) stuck in the action. Otherwise, everything ejected crisply and properly. Over the next ~500rds or so, things should loosen up very nicely.

• Jams/failures -- One, only. It's the first and only "double feed" on a bolt-action rifle I've ever seen. Very similar to any double feed on a pistol that you're familiar with. For whatever reason, cycling the bolt pulled in the first round but also grabbed a second one, which lodged itself tightly underneath the first. The first bullet didn't fully seat into the chamber. I simply slide the bolt rearward, pushed down the following rounds 3-4, removed the offending bullet #2, then continued. Didn't have any further issues. Strange.

• Cleaning at Range -- None. The barrel got fairly hot, which should be enough for the Militec-1 to do its job inside the barrel and action.

• Cleaning -- After the session, field stripped and cleaned all surfaces with Hoppe's #9; then cleaned & oiled with Break Free CLP; lightly greased the contact surfaces of the bolt/rails; then wiped down with gun cloth. It's now back in the safe. You know what rifles "dream" about, in the safe? Well, this Savage 12FLV's got one thought on its mind, and that's how to get dime-sized groupings at 300yds.

Overall, it's a good, basic range rifle. Very accurate. Each of the controls are easily manipulated and reached. The 3-position safety is, effectively, ambidextrous, being located on the receiver at the rear of the bolt. Being a lefty, the left-handed bolt and action is a pleasure.

See below, for a few pics of today's targets. Accuracy will skyrocket with the new Nikon scope and once the barrel completely breaks in. Accuracy had better go up, else I'm gonna have to find some new hobby for the weekends ... perhaps crochet or knitting. That simply wouldn't do.

Enjoy.

- Michael
    Last edited by JD; July 3rd, 2012 at 04:47 PM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

JD
    Administrator
    Excellent write up! I've been meaning to pick up another long gun to scope and shoot little tiny groups with.

Savage 12FLV Bolt-Action Rifle: Range Report #2

This is a report of how the gun behaved at a recent range session.

Gun: Savage 12FLV bolt-action rifle, .223, 26" heavy 1:9 twist bbl, bedded synth stock. And, above all, the bolt/eject on the "right" side: lefty. Talley, one-piece, lightweight rings, currently holding a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 scope.

June 17, 2007 -- 2nd range session, after purchase.

• Goal -- Continue the break-in period, by shooting another 100rds. Evaluate the trigger and how it's working.

• Initial Field Strip and Cleaning -- Ran a bore snake through, with Break Free CLP on the "brush" section. Ran again, until clean. Ran the snake through with a light dose of Militec-1 oil. Wiped down the chamber area and bolt. Is ready for another couple range sessions, after which I'll fully strip and clean it.

• Scope -- Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 scope. Extremely clear and precise. Zeroed it over 10rds @ 50yds, then dialled it in @ 100yds. The elevation and windage knobs on the UCC Monarch scopes are far nicer, allowing simple finger turns, to adjust. The Prostaff line does require use of a quarter, or a screwdriver. Still, the adjustments are 1/4 moa and reliable. Plenty of travel adjustment. Stays where you put it. Attached via Talley one-piece lightweight mounts (the ones with integral bases). POI is right at POA. Nice scope. Can't wait for the new Nikon 6-24x40 that's on order.

• Bipod -- Harris HBLS, 9-13" rise & swivel feature. Tightened down the swivel, a bit, and now it's much more steady. Still resistant to use of a full rest. I do need a good rear bag, for use with this, but so far I've gotten by with the "shared" bags at the range.

• Feel -- This is a heavy beast. At well over 10 lbs with the scope and bipod, nearing twice the weight of a lightweight hunting rifle. For better recoil handling, it could benefit by a heavier stock, weighted accordingly to accommodate the heavy 26" bbl. We'll see. The feel of the factory synth stock isn't my cup of tea, so am considering an after-market option (Shehane, Boyd's DIY, or other). It's still too early to tell whether a simple rest would be sufficient. I would like to alter the hand position, to a more-vertical, pistol grip-style position. And the comb height isn't high enough for me, with the factory synch stock. The Militec-1 grease helps things stay smooth. Nice stuff, that.

• Magazine -- 4rd internal mag works well. Smoothly feeds rounds. No issues.

• Ergonomics -- With a change to an after-market stock that fits me well, this will be a wonderful unit. That would allow a change to a more-vertical, pistol grip-style, allow for changing the length of pull, improve the stability on a rest. Lefty bolt is wonderful. Ambi safety is simple to use and right there at the rear of the bolt (where it should be, IMO).

• Shots -- 100 rds of 62gr Lake City SS109 "green tip" .223. Tried a variety of drills, including scoped @ 3x for quick aquisition of 5" targets every ~5sec. I'm slow, hence the drills. Practiced a few single-shot, to help the bolt to work into a "zone" and to give me more practice with the "feel" of the new rifle. Barrel got fairly hot after 100rds, but then it was a hot day. I'll be picking up some new ammo, this week, to test how finer factory stuff works. Am considering reloading, so I'll then be able to work into a highly-accurate load, at that point. We'll see.

• Sight-in -- Brought the Nikon 3-9x40 on-target within 10rds @ 50yds, plus a few more @ 100yds to fine-tune. It's very accurate, now, with POI @ POA. So long as I do my part.

• Aim -- Well, I'll tell you one thing about the Nikon scope: it is one bright unit. Helps quite a bit with the aim, I don't care who you are. Easy to pick up the target. Easy to stay focused on the spot.

• Accuracy -- Am still roughing-in the bolt/action. It has not yet shot enough to be smooth. If it hasn't gotten smooth by 500rds or so, I may have the 'smith look at trueing and polishing everything. Accuracy is high, @ 100yds. Am now getting many 3-4rd groups within the same raggedy hole, with the occasional flier. A half-dozen times, today, I was able to put bullet #2 right into the same hole as bullet #1. Overall, groups are down to ~1.5" or less, even with my mistakes. Once I do my part, this is going to be a tack-driver, no doubt.

• Ejection -- Stiff bolt and action makes for cycling that's a bit rough. Several times, the spent case would be layin' there right on top of the next round, in the internal magazine. That's not good. Will be monitoring.

• Jams/failures -- None.

• Cleaning at Range -- None. The barrel got fairly hot, so I simply took my time and didn't rush the sessions.

• Cleaning -- Did not clean after this session, as I plan to hit the range next weekend. After that, I'll do a full strip and clean.

Overall Impressions -- Highly accurate. Factory synthetic stock isn't my favorite, so I'll be looking for an after-market unit that can feel better in the hand, be more stable, and that will be weighted more heavily on the stock end in order to compensate for the heavy 26" bbl. The trigger is decent, and the position of the controls are great. The bolt/action isn't that smooth, but this is a .223 Savage and nowhere near the equivalent of a large-caliber, well-worn Mauser. Apples and oranges. But, overall, I like it. IMO, a good value for a ~$500 tack driver.

No photos. Perhaps next time, of both the gun and the targets.

Enjoy.

Range Report #3 -- seventh session

Savage 12FLV Bolt-Action Rifle: Range Report #3

Third installment of write-ups about range sessions with a Savage 21FLV (lefty) bolt-action rifle. This is actually the seventh range session. Have been spending much time trying various factory loads, in an attempt to find the most-accurate flavor out there.

August 20, 2007 -- Seventh range session, after purchase.

Gun: Savage 12FLV bolt-action rifle. Chambered in .223, this rifle has a 26" heavy, free-floated barrel in 1:9" twist, bedded synthetic stock, Accu-Trigger, 4rd internal magazine, ~9 lbs.

• Goal -- Switch to the 200yd range, to zero-in the scope and test the accuracy of the selected loads. The rain is coming down, so we'll also see how the loads and aim performs in inclement weather.

• Initial Field Strip and Cleaning -- Removed the stock from the barreled receiver, removed the bolt, cleaned the barrel with a foaming bore cleaner, ran patches and a bore snake through, then wiped everything down. Shot CLP through the bolt and ejector, making sure to scrub out the minor bit of crud under the lip. Wiped everything down. Time to take everything apart and see how it's wearing, and to ensure I've got all the gunge remove from the out-of-the-way places.

• Scope -- Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40. Have yet to receive my new Nikon 6-24x50, which is still on order. Zeroed to 200yds, to better match the ammunition I am using. This is a nice scope. Wish it had the simple knobs of the Monarch line, but then this is about one-third the price but has nearly the same optics.

• Bipod -- Harris HBLS, 9-13" rise. Still using this. The gun jumps around, a bit, with each shot. Still, it forces me to reset my brain with each shot, get into a rhythm, get my breathing under control. All in all, not a bad bargain. I'd rather do it this way than go the benchrest route.

• Feel -- The bolt is still a bit stiff, though it's loosening up slowly. I thought it would be smoother by now. Another 1000 rds should see it get quite a bit smoother, I think. The length of pull is still somewhat long for me, but I'm simply getting down "over" the rifle, which takes up ~3/4" or so. That helps quite a bit. Hm, amazing what you learn once you get back in the saddle, eh?

• Trigger -- I am just starting to get used to the Accu-Trigger. I am beginning to see why folks would like the lighter "competition" version of the Accu-Trigger, which has a much lighter setting. This one gets down to ~22oz or so. The lighter trigger on the dedicated benchrest models gets down to 6oz, IIRC. Anyway, this one's smoothing up a bit, as time goes on. It's got a good, clean break at about ~2 lbs now.

• Shots -- Everything is broken in, now, I think. 80 rds today, for a total of 480 rds on the gun. Ran 20 rds of Hornady 55gr V-Max Moly; 20 rds Remington 50gr BT AccuTip; 40 rds Lake City SS109 "green tip".

• Accuracy -- See photos below. My groupings are getting much better, as the rifle is broken-in and I am getting more patient. At 200yds, today, my best was 1-3/8", 1-5/8" and a couple slightly larger groups. On a couple prior days, I have put several groups of 3-4 bullets through the same raggedy hole, with one or two fliers in the group. It has been awhile, for target practice with a long rifle. I'm used to hand-span "field" accuracy at 100yds, but this sub-inch stuff takes some doing! By far, the most-accurate bullet factory bullet I have found is the Hornady 55gr V-Max Moly, out of a half-dozen tried. Next most-accurate seems to be the Remington AccuTip, in 50gr or slightly heavier. Marginal accuracy comes from the Lake City 62gr SS109's.

Nicely, today I had all groups under 2.5" @ 200yds, with most under 1.75" or so. In the rain with 15mph wind and a 3-9x scope that kept fogging up due to the humidity. Am improving. Apparently, an old dog can learn new tricks.

• Ejection -- The dang extractor is letting go of the spent cases too early, often leaving the things half-way in the chamber and failing to eject. That happens about one-in-five with the Lake City ammo, and far more frequently with most other rounds I've tried.

• Jams/failures -- Only the issue with weak ejection. No jams or other failures.

I am getting much more comfortable with the rifle. It's heavy, so the bipod is definitely necessary. But it's relatively easy to use, and the action's beginning to smooth up. Can't wait for the new Nikon 6-24x50 scope to arrive, which will help on the 200/300yd range.

See below, for a few pics of today's targets.

- Michael
    Attached Images

Links