My father's day present came.

This is a discussion on My father's day present came. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The Brown truck of Goodness dropped off my father's day present today! My FAL has a manual action back-up, an Ishpore .308 2A Enfield. Now ...

Senior Moderator

The Brown truck of Goodness dropped off my father's day present today!

My FAL has a manual action back-up, an Ishpore .308 2A Enfield.
    Now to clean, test and if accurate anough to mount a scope on it.

Oh what fun!!!!!

“You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    Excellent! Nice acquisition!

Nice new rifle and nice quote.
    Yeah I like Glocks, wanna fight about it!

Senior Moderator
    I am going to post my work with this rifle. All I did yesterday between feedings and changing diapers is wipe the grease off and clean the barrel and bolt.

I'll post pic's of my progress. If it proves accurate enough with iron sites I might bead the stock and see what this thing can do.

Last edited by pgrass101; June 19th, 2007 at 09:46 AM.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Congrats. I want one of these. Did you do the handpicked option or did you take what they sent you?

From the pics it is hard to tell but how is the stock?
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Senior Moderator
    I hand picked a good bore and action.

The stock has two major repairs on the butt, at each end of the plate and one more by the rear sight. I would say the stock is in good shape and mechanics are in very good.

I would like to be able to shoot lower (< 60,000 psi) pressure .308 Win (not 7.62 Nato 50,000 psi) out of it. I trust my FAL up to 65,000 psi. and would like to be able to use the same ammo.

The steel on the Ishy should be strong enough to handle it (Not like the Spainish Mausers rechambered for 7.62 NATO) but I will play it safe for now and slowly ease up. I will never shot a high pressure > 65,000 psi .308 round out of it.

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I hand picked a good bore and action.

The stock has two major repairs on the butt, at each end of the plate and one more by the rear sight. I would say the stock is in good shape and mechanics are in very good.

I would like to be able to shoot lower (< 60,000 psi) pressure .308 Win (not 7.62 Nato 50,000 psi) out of it. I trust my FAL up to 65,000 psi. and would like to be able to use the same ammo.

The steel on the Ishy should be strong enough to handle it (Not like the Spainish Mausers rechambered for 7.62 NATO) but I will play it safe for now and slowly ease up. I will never shot a high pressure > 65,000 psi .308 round out of it.

Are you handloading the lower pressure .308 Win rounds or can they be bought? I was thinking about that as well if I were to purchase one of these.

Was it caked in cosmoline when you got it?
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    Are you handloading the lower pressure .308 Win rounds or can they be bought?
    They can be bought. Fedearl Fusion have a rated pressure of under 60,00psi. Remington is the same on their standard pressure loads. Winchester is safe except for their "Mini mag" loads. UMC and Wolf .308 winchester are both loaded to 7.62x51mm NATO std pressures. I am handloading also. The pressure listings i found are on the ammo manufactuers websites.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    Was it caked in cosmoline when you got it?
    Not caked but coated. Better than a Nagant.

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Looks nice. Congrats.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Congrats on the find. I also have a Ishpore-.308. I have had it a couple of years now. Be careful and inspect it very thouroughly.Mine had a patch in the stock, and the first round i fired out of it broke the patch. It seems that the glue used by the Indians for their stock repair and cosmoline do not mix well. I put it in a synthetic stock and it has turned out to be quite a shooter. A friend of mine across the pond told me to keep my ammo toward the mil-spec type as some of these rifles were made with softer steel , like the Spanish mauser, and may not hold up to well to hotter .308 loads. I am going to replace the front sight , as it is sort of skimpy for a mil-spec rifle. i am thinking of a bead type front blade. Again, congrats on the find. These are fun rifles to shoot,and the action is very smooth. I also handload for this rifle.
    A armed person is a citizen-An unarmed person is a future victim.

OOOhhh....nice. Congrats.

,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I've wanted one for a long time... Plan on using the synthetic stocks on it after I get one, but will keep the original one.

Congratulations on your new bang bang! Cool looking!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Links