Mossberg 500 Help

This is a discussion on Mossberg 500 Help within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just picked up a Mossberg 500 today. Got it home cleaned it up a little bit, went to load it up and I can ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mossberg 500 Help

Mossberg 500 Help

I just picked up a Mossberg 500 today. Got it home cleaned it up a little bit, went to load it up and I can only get two shells into the tube. The first two go in just fine. Nice and easy and smooth and the third one just hits a brick wall. They wont move any further. They are 2 3/4" shells not 3". Am I missing something? I beleive it is supposed to hold 5 in the tube and 1 in the chamber. Can anyone give me an help?
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2. Remove Ads

Some states require a duck plug to be installed in all shotguns when they are sold (limiting capacity to two rounds, plus one in the pipe). It's basically a wooden or plastic dowel that keeps you from inserting more rounds. Take the magazine spring out and see if there's one in there.

Try unscrewing the cap on the end of the magazine tube, and checking if there is a magazine block, can be anything from a stick, to a plastic tube. In KS you have to use one to limit gun to 3 rounds for some hunting seasons.

Ok, I've got it now. Thanks for the help guys. This is my first HD shotgun, and my first NEW pump action. Looks like it's going to be a nice little shotgun. I've already got my eye on some aftermarket parts for this little guy, like a collapsable stock with pistol grip and a side saddle. I guess we'll have to wait and see how she ends up. Thanks again!
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Don't forget to put the plug back in if you take it hunting for migratory species.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    yeah, that stumped me for a bit when I first brought my Mossberg home. Turns out, it's in the owners manual. I don't bird-hunt, so I just threw the dowel away.

We have a Mossberg 590 for a house shotgun. I love it.

I bought it because it was exactly like the shotgun we used on board ship in the Navy. it's a great shotgun.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I have a Moss 590 too... Great Gun! Just awesome! Congrats on your new Mossberg!

+1 on the Side Saddle. Good addition. I also have a buttstock shell holder by Eagle Industries.

I Keep 00 buck in the Side Saddle and Slugs in the buttstock shell holder
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I don't hunt so it wont be an issue. I was looking at this stock for my 500:

Have any of you guys used this stock? Any opinions? Also, any sugestions on a good tacitcal light that wont cost me an arm and a leg??
    Last edited by wht06rado; June 20th, 2007 at 02:35 AM.

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Well, I don't have that stock, I have the ATI full straight stock with pistol grip underneath. It has held up fine as far as durability, and is comfortable. My only issue with it is that it can make things a little tricky to hit the slide release sometimes, but you can get used to that. I'd try to figure out what Mossberg puts on their tactical models with folding stocks, because those should be made to make the controls easy to use.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

ATI Stock

Quote Originally Posted by wht06rado View Post

Have any of you guys used this stock? Any opinions? Also, any sugestions on a good tacitcal light that wont cost me an arm and a leg??
    I work for ATI, the company that makes the stock in question. Please feel free to contact me about any of our stuff. Though I'm a contributor to this site, I am not a sponsor and therefore will not post further information without an email request from you.

Thanks, folks!

SVH

We also make this one!

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye07 View Post
    Well, I don't have that stock, I have the ATI full straight stock with pistol grip underneath. It has held up fine as far as durability, and is comfortable. My only issue with it is that it can make things a little tricky to hit the slide release sometimes, but you can get used to that. I'd try to figure out what Mossberg puts on their tactical models with folding stocks, because those should be made to make the controls easy to use.

Mossberg puts our stocks on the new 590 Tactical, in case you're wondering!

Tactical light

Quote Originally Posted by wht06rado View Post

I decided that I wasn't able to afford a limb for a light for my shotgun, either. I went with a Scorpion flashlight, purchased from Centerfire Systems, and mounted it to the left side of the shotgun with a mag clamp (the sling stud on my 870 won't let me put it directly under the mag tube). My thumb pokes the light on without moving from the forend, and is bright!! It was about sixty bucks, but performs very well. PERFECT!

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I have their heat shield w/ghost ring sights on my 500. The sights are not as good as the stock, but improved my shooting slugs over the bead sight, and the setup was a lot cheaper than getting the sights, tapping and soldering them on!

Cool

I also have the M-590, for a house gun.
    Attached Images
    Semper Fi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links