Finally saw and touched an HK 416

This is a discussion on Finally saw and touched an HK 416 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Recently, I had the opportunity to work with another government agency’s personal protective operations personnel (i.e. bodyguards). Their “heavy” team was armed with the HK ...

Thread: Finally saw and touched an HK 416

VIP Member

Recently, I had the opportunity to work with another government agency’s personal protective operations personnel (i.e. bodyguards). Their “heavy” team was armed with the HK 416 carbine, a potential replacement (and current supplement, in some circles) to the M16/M4 in the military. I was only able to handle (OK, fondle) the 416s as there was no time for a range session, but they seemed to be very well made, balanced, and “solid” weapons. By all accounts, their operators are very pleased with them so far, as there is no loss of performance from the M4, while they are easier to clean and there is some anecdotal evidence of increased reliability in harsh environments.

Personally, I don’t think they need the 416 vice the M4 - these weapons spend 90% of their time inside a follow car, after all, though the other 10% may indeed be in “harsh environments - but they do seem nice.

Any forum members have any trigger time on the 416? Opinions?
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

OD*
    There's a good video on the weapon here;
    http://www.hkpro.com/hk416.htm
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

I still don't understand what the difference is between the 416 and the gas piston uppers that Bushmaster and a few others are putting out?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Young View Post
    I still don't understand what the difference is between the 416 and the gas piston uppers that Bushmaster and a few others are putting out?
    Well, for one, it's an HK, not a Bushy...

Second, it's a purpose built rifle, not just an upper. The uppers/416s are similar in idea, but different in execution. I don't think the 416 is so much better then the M4 to warrant tens/hundreds of millions of dollars, but it seems to be a pretty nice rifle.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I would like to see hk put out the 417 .308 for public sale. I've heard its not going to happen. If it does I want one bad. Would mind picking up a 416 too, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

VIP Member
    No trigger time here...but the samples I fondled at the SHOT Show made me want to pull out the credit card (ok...two or three of them).
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

OPFOR-

What's the difference between the H&K 416 and this http://www.therallypoint.org/forum/i...p?topic=1655.0

VIP Member
    Jamie,

I really can't tell you, as I have only very limited experience with the 416 and none with the LWRC. The only obvious difference is the manufacturer. The HK control markings are in the HK style, and the proprietary rear sight is the "rotary" type common on HK long guns. Having never fired either, much less had operational experience with them, I can't really comment on any of the important differences (whatever they may be). Sorry I can't be of more help.

I have to echoe OPFOR sentiments.

I've handled and fired the 416 while at Blackwater. What's the difference ? It's simply a gas piston operation and not gas impingement like the current M4/M16 series rifles or AR15's for the public. LWRC is simply like everyone else. They are all quickly hopping on the gas piston system operation with the hopes that the enthused public and some LEO agencies will adopt such a system for a discounted price. What a LEO needs with a gas piston operation is beyond me. After all, their AR's just in a car not in the water, mud, sand, helo dust, and certainly not for sustained operations where supply lines may be non existent.

For the price, I'll stick with my AR gas impingement system. H&K makes the best products around, but any M4 that is maintained properly should run for 5000 rounds of Nato M885 just fine at which time it would require a major cleaning. Unless it's at it's service life and needs parts repair and or replacement.

I believe I mentioned this before but I'll say it again. The POF gas piston systems rifles have had some problems with the OP-Rod bending and then breaking. I was attending TRICON's Carbine and Pistol course with Jeff Gonzales and we had one that did exactly that. Jeff loaned the student one his LMT uppers and he spent the course with that weapon. As for the rotary rear sight, it's not anything new from H&K. If you've ever fired an MP5 or one of their long guns than you'll be familiar with it's operation.

Is the 416 a good rifle ? You bet, but unless your planning on spending a sustained amount of time in harsh conditions then your merely spending money on something because it's being promoted as the best. Would I want one if I were still in the U.S. Army ? Probably, but it would not make the difference between how well I engage or run my weapon.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

EW3
    This video on the HK416 is from the Army Times.

http://www.armytimes.com/projects/vi...y/0219carbine/
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

I'd like to know how the 416 compares to the Sig 556. That 556 .......damn! I NEED one of those!

Links