Poorman's Forearm Light

This is a discussion on Poorman's Forearm Light within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Thought I'd share my solution to adding a light to my new toy. It's so simple I'm sure many have done something similar, but I ...

Thread: Poorman's Forearm Light

Poorman's Forearm Light

Thought I'd share my solution to adding a light to my new toy. It's so simple I'm sure many have done something similar, but I did not see anything on the web so here goes...

I used a Surefire G2 because one, it's my favorite light and two, it's cheap and lightweight. Since the rifle is my BOB gun, I figured if the light got damaged I would have a replacement on me already anyway. Redundancy is good sometimes.

I started by taking an old cheap Russian scope ring I got with a $30.00 scope out of SGN years ago. They were so roughly made and bulky that I would never use them for a good scope, but now am glad I didn't get rid of them.

I cut the base of the ring down to make a flat sureface on the mill, made a slight radius with an air grinder (hacksaw & files will work also), and then tapped the base in two places for 6-32 socket head screws.

Drilled two 1/4" holes in the handguard corresponding to the tapped holes in ring, and secured with the back plate (a small scrap of "banding" used to band loads of wood for shipping that is spring steel and bends to the contour of the guard nicely), washers will work also.

Now I have a close mounted light that is easy to actuate with the knuckle of my thumb without loosing a solid grip on the gun.

PS. The keyring on the tailcap is a trick I found to turn the G2 into a momentary only light. It's a 1" OD ring that can be found at any key cutting store and works great.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator

Good Job!

That Sure Will Work.

DC Founder
    That's a pretty cool way to mount it appears. I had read the tip about the ring somewhere. For some reason I was thinking it went inside, glad I didn't try it. I would have been searching for one small enough for the inside....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Lead Moderator
    I picked up a fobus light mount that will quickly mount dismount from any 1913 rail in seconds. Now am considering mounting a short rail on my 12 ga. forearm

Membership Revoked Array clubsoda22's Avatar
    I would strongly recommend getting a shock isolated bezel for the G2. Brightflashlights in the AR15.com industry forum can hook you up.

thanks clubsoda, didn't know anything was made for them... I'll go check it out.

Assistant Administrator
    Looks good Jim - I have a number of scope rings around - could be I'll play with this idea sometime.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Links