XM8 pictures - serious eye candy.

This is a discussion on XM8 pictures - serious eye candy. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I had a look around and saw that the XM8 was discussed briefly once before here . However, I found some great pictures and felt ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: XM8 pictures - serious eye candy.

I had a look around and saw that the XM8 was discussed briefly once before here.

However, I found some great pictures and felt the need to post them.
    Not sure where I'm going with this, they are just great pics...

VIP Member
    I thought the XM-8 was a good start for a new infantry rifle, but it needed some tweaking. It appears the FN SCAR and HK 416 are much stronger contenders right now. I do, however, think the XM-8 gets serious cool points for looking like something a Space Marine might carry...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

That is a sweet looking rifle, it looks like the pulse rifle from Aliens.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

Quote Originally Posted by GotSig? View Post
    That is a sweet looking rifle, it looks like the pulse rifle from Aliens.
    Yup...sweet and DOA. The military killed the project as a money saving item. They plan on using M4/M16 variants for another good 10yrs.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Love that weapon. I was drooling all over my keyboard while surfing the gun's main page. They had videos up of all sorts of soldier-proof capabilities. In one, the demonstrater threw the rifle into a mud pit, buried it, then fished it out and fired-off a 100 round drum. Also of note was his sand test.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Quote Originally Posted by vernonator View Post
    Yup...sweet and DOA. The military killed the project as a money saving item. They plan on using M4/M16 variants for another good 10yrs.
    I thought they were picking up the FN scar.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GotSig? View Post
    I thought they were picking up the FN scar.
    If anything the Army puts out is to be believed, there are a combination of three things going on right now.

1 and 2: The FN SCAR (L and H) and the HK416/417 are being used, in limited numbers, by special ops folks right now. Both are receiving generally positive reviews, and both are in the running to become "official" special ops systems.

3. The rest of the military has decided - more or less - that these systems don't represent enough of an advantage over the M16/M4 family to justify the HUGE cost of replacing the hundreds of thousands of these rifles already in the system. However, as SOF goes, so goes the rest of the Army (to a certain extent, anyway), so if SOF really buys into these new systems, you can bet that the Army (at least the Infantry) will try to follow suit.

3 1/2. The XM 8 is pretty much dead. Operators didn't really like it - they much prefer the SCAR/416 variants.

Time will tell, I guess. I'm of the opinion that the M4 is a pretty good rifle for a professional soldier, and would like the "new" rifle to be truly new - new caliber, new ammo type (caseless/telescoping case/whatever), new ideas. The money spent on a slight upgrade now could be spent on R&D for a SERIOUS upgrade a few years down the road...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    The XM-8 had a few really good ideas that I'd like to see in the future.
    1. Integrated sighting devices. The optic was probably the best feature; it had a reflex sight, IR aiming laser, and IR spotlight in one device.
    2. Common platform. Interchangeable parts between the SAW, carbine, and PDW. Saves money on parts, transportation, and training. Saves time and other resources (trucks for example) too.
    3. Full auto. A 3 round burst is a pretty dumb idea, especially considering we no longer use 20 round magazines. Training prevents ammo wast, not burst limiters (kinda like 10 round magazines to reduce crime)

I think we can do better before replacing millions of rifles.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

The XM8 does look like something the boys in Starship Troopers (the book not that abortion of a movie) might carry, but I think the biggest factor in any new weapon system for the next generation of battle rifle has GOT to be a caliber upgrade. I'm not sure about the 6.8 since I've never had any personal experience with it, but I do know it was developed by SpecOps guys and that has to count for something. These days, the day of the straight leg light infantryman are done. I was in the 9th ID and it was one of two light divisions left in the army (the other being the "crushed beer can" 7th ID) in the 1980s and I understand both have folded their standards and slipped into military history. These days it's motorized (Strykers) or mechanized (Bradley's) except for the airborne and they might get LAV's I hear. SF (Rangers included here) always has had the credo: Travel light, FREEZE at night and that won't change, but it's a different dynamic anyway.

If there's going to be a vehicle handy then caliber is less of an issue as the heavy backup ammo can be kept in the vehicles. Therefore why not upgrade to a 30 caliber? WELL? We're going back to the tried and true 45ACP, right? I'll BET the new H&K 45 co-designed by Larry Vickers gets that contract, too. Betcha. Betcha.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Red face "lighter and more reliable than existing M4 carbine..."

12.5" barrel,that would produce a muzzle flash signature like a flame thrower.It also appears to have the gas tube that dumps carbon and filth into the action (ala M-16).I would be interested to see the bolt of this weapon.........

Quote Originally Posted by pistola View Post
    It also appears to have the gas tube that dumps carbon and filth into the action (ala M-16).I would be interested to see the bolt of this weapon.........
    Nope. It uses a gas piston rather than an M-16 type direct impingement system. Piston operated firearms are much cleaner.

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Warcrimes View Post
    3. Full auto. A 3 round burst is a pretty dumb idea, especially considering we no longer use 20 round magazines. Training prevents ammo wast, not burst limiters (kinda like 10 round magazines to reduce crime).
    Pleaes explain why full auto is beneficial enough to be on each standard infantryman's weapon?

It was my understanding that accuracy during full automatic use was greatly diminished in any weapon... and you can't miss fast enough to win a gunfight...

-B

Administrator
    Buk Rodgers called... He wants his gun back.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Talking Depends on the SOICUMSTANCES....nyuck nyuck nyuck

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Please explain why full auto is beneficial enough to be on each standard infantryman's weapon?

It was my understanding that accuracy during full automatic use was greatly diminished in any weapon... and you can't miss fast enough to win a gunfight...-B
    Ummmm I think that in the past that may have been true but remember that each and every infantry platoon...indeed each squad has it's own internal full auto support weapon. In my day it was the venerable M60. These days I guess it's a SAW. When I switched branches to Armor we didn't have ANY semiauto except the main gun and our sidearms. Alledgedly we were supposed to be issued old fashioned 45 "Grease Guns" but I never saw any. They weren't select fire anyway.

The times they ARE a'changin! These days with muzzle brake technology so advanced there is not the problem with muzzle rise so much. Spray and Pray is something you can train for. Few people are going to be moving in teams of less than 5 (size of a independent fire team) anyway. So I would think internal supporting fires are going to be pretty good along with 360 security. There are times when sheer volume of lead in the air is a good thing. Of course if you've got a good semiauto shottie (like the new Benelli M4) that's even better. But sometimes you just need full auto on an M4 or M16. As a leader, I'd like to have the option, anyway.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    Ummmm I think that in the past that may have been true but remember that each and every infantry platoon...indeed each squad has it's own internal full auto support weapon. In my day it was the venerable M60. These days I guess it's a SAW. When I switched branches to Armor we didn't have ANY semiauto except the main gun and our sidearms. Alledgedly we were supposed to be issued old fashioned 45 "Grease Guns" but I never saw any. They weren't select fire anyway.

The times they ARE a'changin! These days with muzzle brake technology so advanced there is not the problem with muzzle rise so much. Spray and Pray is something you can train for. Few people are going to be moving in teams of less than 5 (size of a independent fire team) anyway. So I would think internal supporting fires are going to be pretty good along with 360 security. There are times when sheer volume of lead in the air is a good thing. Of course if you've got a good semiauto shottie (like the new Benelli M4) that's even better. But sometimes you just need full auto on an M4 or M16. As a leader, I'd like to have the option, anyway.
    Guess I'm getting old, but "Gaining Fire superiority" was drilled into us in basic and advance infantry training in the late sixties. I went from the M14 to the M16 during my Vietnam experience and when we "popped a bush", (ambush) we usually unloaded. You rarely saw all of the targets, but with grenades, claymores, and auto-fire you usually got the job done. Today's battle-field is different I know, but I would be really curious to know how much "spay-n-pray" may still be in use.
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links