New toy.

This is a discussion on New toy. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I bought myself a present for graduating from college last week. SAR-3 I needed another .223 to supliment my Mini-14 and can't afford an AR. ...

Thread: New toy.

New toy.

I bought myself a present for graduating from college last week.

SAR-3

I needed another .223 to supliment my Mini-14 and can't afford an AR. I picked this up at a gun show for $350. Fired 60 rounds through it today with no malfunctions. The mags are those converted Russian ones. They work fine as long as you don't load more than 10rounds. I had heard this was true with these mags. I could see when loading it, after the eleventh round, the cartirdge angle is thrown off, so I just loaded 10 at a time.

I am going to have to get some East German mags for her.(may have to mortgage the house for those) She shoots well and is more accurate than the Mini, which aint hard to do.

I shot some silhouette targets with it today at 50, 100, and 200. All were in the kill zone with some verticle stringing caused by me playing with the site picture. I flushed the site sometimes, then put it about half way down, then bottomed it out. Hits were still in the zone, so I'm confident I can hit with it if need be, even in a semi rapid fire situation. Not bad considering the AK sites, which are crude at best.

The trigger group on these is U.S. made I believe, and it is the nicest, light, crisp, tirgger I have ever felt on an Ak type rifle. A little slack, but not much.

She has the scope rail on the side, so I am planning on a weaver rail and Red Dot after I stock up on mags. The I can try to shoot some groups and see how accurate it really is. I shot about 1 1/2 at 50, beyond that any error was caused by me not being able to see the actual bullseye well. Still, center mass is repeatable out to 200 even with open sites and probably to 300, but our local range is only 200 yds so I'll have to test that some other time.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Beautiful! And a great price too!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Assistant Administrator
    Pretty good find

Never tried one but - knowing my Mini-14 - would not be at all surprised to find it better

Don't think you mentioned your ammo choice - mil stuff? Or commercial factory?
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Pretty good find

Never tried one but - knowing my Mini-14 - would not be at all surprised to find it better

Don't think you mentioned your ammo choice - mil stuff? Or commercial factory?
    I used the cheap (well, used to be cheap, when I bought them a long time ago) Winchester USA stuff. 5.56mm, 55gr, fmj. The receiver is actually marked, 5.56, not .223.

Assistant Administrator
    Haha - ''used to be cheap'' - yeah hearing that a lot these days!!! I know of that ammo anyways - pretty well OK stuff.

Knowing AK's - the chamber is probably large enough tolerance to eat about anything Expect Wolf/Barnaul etc would go fine too.

BTW - grad congrats in order too - in case I hadn't said elsewhere
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

OD*
    That's a good looking weapon, Sarge.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Thanks OD.

Thanks Chris, Law school next, can't wait.

Miggy: I've been looking all week. I have also searched some forums and have read some poor reviews of those Bulgarian mags. If you or anyone else has used them and they are good, let me know and I'll be willing to try one and see. The concensus seems to be the German steel mags, like those on the auction arms link, are the best, and work flawlessly in the SAR-3.

They are pricey though. Century has them for just under $27.00 + shipping. I'll probably order from them, but there is a bigger gunshow in the next county over this weekend, so I'm hoping to find some there at a comparable price, and save myself some shipping charges. If not, I guess i'll have to pony up the cash. One thing about good mags is that I'll likely never wear them out, so once purchased I'm good.

Cool. I think you got a gun to replace your Mini.

Question -- does it mangle brass?

Administrator
    Real nice good working firearm. Congrats on the good price also.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Links