AR-15 VS New Ruger Mini 14 - Page 2

AR-15 VS New Ruger Mini 14

This is a discussion on AR-15 VS New Ruger Mini 14 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I would go with the AR too. Mags, easier mag changes, availability of parts and accessories, modular system and proven combat use/reliability....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: AR-15 VS New Ruger Mini 14

Lead Moderator
    I would go with the AR too. Mags, easier mag changes, availability of parts and accessories, modular system and proven combat use/reliability.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

The AR is a better system if you can afford it. If you can't, get the mini. It's really that simple. Both are good guns, ARs are just a lot more accurate and tacticool. ARs can also shoot 5.56, but the mini is .223, so you could make up the price dif by shooting surplus ammo over time and with savings on mags too.(this coming from a guy who is too cheap to buy an AR)

I have a mini and it's accuracy is not what I expect from a rifle, but it will do for defensive pruposes. Out to 200 yds, not target is safe, beyond that it is as they say "hit or miss". I can make a three hundred yard minute of silouhette shot form the bench, but wouldn't want to have to do it in a stressful situation. Than again, for self defense, 200 yds should be sufficient, unless your defending yourself from Bob Swager, and then your done for anyway.

As far as reliability, I have never had a problem as long as you get good mags. Minis in my experience, I have had both the 14 and 30, are finicky about mags.

Ruger factory 20 rounders are sufficient and very reliable,(but expensive) and many aftermarket mags are too. I have 6 30 rounders that are flawless and they didn't cost too much,($20.00 range) but I have had to throw some cheapies in the garbage. So if you get one, pay a little more and get good mags, test them and make sure they are reliable and your fine, but if you are willing to spend the cash, get an AR.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig 210 View Post
    For me it is not even close. i'm still chafing over that sorry Mini-14 i bought years ago. The the thing had the accuracy of an SKS for many times the price. .
    You had a good one then. Both of my SKS rifles will outgroup the mini easily.

I have a stainless mini-14 that I got in the 80's and I love it. It's fairly accurate and the only problem I've ever had with it was using a plastic 30 round clip, it just didn't like it.

The only thing I don't like about it is it makes a huge fireball in the dark, it looks like your shooting off a howitzer.
    This message approved by the ATF, supporting your right to get drunk, have a smoke, and go shootin!

Once is a combat rifle and one is not.

But I'll still take a Mini 14 over an AR for general purposes because I'm not going off to war with one and I like the simplicity of the Mini 14.

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Young View Post
    I like the simplicity of the Mini 14.
    It's hard to imagine a simpler rifle than the AR15.

In what way?

The AR15/M16 is easy to use, but takes longer to clean. I like less cleaning time with my rifles.

The AR can be a bit more accurate and there are more aftermarket parts for it...it's also a bit easier to find parts for but they are both pretty popular so that may be a wash.
    Beg to differ. Parts availability is going to be way better with the AR. Ruger is (basically) the only source for Mini-14 parts. Certain parts (such as the firing pin) Ruger will not sell. They insist on installing them.

Lead Moderator
    While you can find parts from other than Ruger, AR parts are very easy to find from many more places.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Young View Post
    In what way?

The AR15/M16 is easy to use, but takes longer to clean. I like less cleaning time with my rifles.
    In every way.

AR15s are easier to field strip, easier to get back together, and easier to clean.

You cannot clean a Mini 14 from the breech. If you want your crown to last, it WILL take you a lot longer to clean the 14's bore.

As far as the action, I don't know how to clean yours. But I clean mine with blue shop paper towels and CLP. It takes me 15 minutes to do a complete cleaning of the AR's action, including the time it takes to strip the bolt/carrier group.

The people who think it takes too long to clean an AR are wasting time cleaning places that do not need to be cleaned because they have no impact on function.

I also do not detail clean the BCG on every cleaning. Once every 500 rounds or so is enough. In between detailed cleanings, an exterior wipedown with a rag moist in CLP, a drop of CLP on the cam pin, and a drop of CLP where the bolt enters the carrier are more than enough to keep the rifle running reliably.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    If you get the folder version in stainless and keep it folded and shoot it from the hip, even if you miss you can flip a car. Don't believe me? A-Team did it every week.

But in all seriousness AR gets my vote. by the time you get every thing done to your Mini 14 youve got a good solid AR.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by craze View Post
    .... I would highly recomend you get Ruger factory 20 round mags. Problem is Ruger will not sell them directly to you. You can find them on the wed but you're gonna pay. Cheaper than Dirt has them from time to time but they run about $50 each. Minis are known to be picky about mags. I can tell you from experience stay away from Tripple k Mags. I bought two and niether one worked. I later sprung for two factory 20s. The rifle functions flawlessly with those. That rifle is only as reliable as the mags. True for all guns but especially the Mini.
    Tha price of mags alone would make me pick an AR all over again.

What you may save on the gun, your going to pay in mags.

There are a multitude of good AR mags for less than $20.

As far as cleaning from the breech on a mini, it all depends on the cleaning kit, the OTIS kits will allow breech to muzzle cleaning on almost all firearms, (note I said almost)

The Mini 14 just doesn't do it for me, if I was going to get a Ruger mini it would probably be the Mini-30.

The AR just gives you more options, if you want a longer upper, you can have a longer upper, if you want a short upper, you can have both, and change them out pretty darn quick.

Don't like the stock? Change it.
    Don't like the grip? Change it.
    Don't like the forearm? Cange it.
    You want optics and flip-up sights? You got em.
    Don't like the .223/5.56? Get a 6.8 upper if you want it later down the road.

Cleaning? It's not that difficult. If "X" amount of Marines and Soldiers can figure it out in boot camp, it can't be that hard.

This is turning into a bash the Mini thread, but one more thing worth mentioning is that a standard mini barrel is very thin and heats up rapidly.

In a sustained fire event the barrel will overheat much faster than the AR.
    I once read this somewhere, but can't remeber where, anyway, the author said not to bother buying more than 4 30 round mags for the mini, because the barrel will be overheated by the time you fire 120 rnds. You can reload your four mags while your waiting for the barrel to cool.

BTW, I have six mags for mine, because I don't always take the author's advice when I read things.

JT
    In addition, if you want a cool new hobby you can build your own AR.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I've Owned More that One of Both...

The AR is my overall pick with only a few exceptions. The Mini is less sensitive to abuse & neglect. You never see an AR openly exposed to the weather tied-on to the rear seat of an Alaskan snowmobile, you'll regularly see a Stainless Mini in that spot. You'll not see many ARs covered with grime & dust behind the seat in the cab of a big farm tractor, but you'll see plenty of Mini 14s there. AR shooters think Mini shooters are unsophisticated bumpkins. Mini shooters think AR shooters get lost in the woods. The Mini makes 50 yard coyote shots using the truck door as a rest by a guy in overalls. The AR makes 200 yard coyote shots from a bipod by a guy an a guille suit. An AR then gets cleaned & re-cased. A Mini gets thrown in the truck's passenger-side floorboard. Both guns do WHAT they do quite well, and both have a place. If you want a 5.56 SHTF assault carbine/rifle then it's an AR. If you want a stainless .223 you can mistreat like an AK? That's where a Mini earns its stripes.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links