My new deer gun

This is a discussion on My new deer gun within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was sucked into yet another gun show, but walked away with my new deer gun. It is marked 1938 and has marks indicating it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new deer gun

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar

My new deer gun

I was sucked into yet another gun show, but walked away with my new deer gun.

It is marked 1938 and has marks indicating it is from Tula

Stock is a bit rough, but the barrel/action are in superb shape.

Hopefully will be able to test fire it at the local range this thursday.

Oh and one more pic.

Yep, joined the NRA too
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

2. Remove Ads

Well, that should certainly take down a deer, although if you are closer than 50 yards you will cook it too.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Member Array Intentional Flincher's Avatar
    I couldn't hunt with a Mosin. I'd be afraid my M44 would knock me outta my perch!
    A witty saying proves nothing.

Voltaire

I went to the gun show this weekend too. I came VERY close to buying an XD but I couldn't decide between a 45 and a 9.

BTW, nice gun!

FMC

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    You got a Kel-Tec P11, too.

Assistant Administrator
    Shucks, with that bayo' you can spear them LOL

The rifle has plenty of potential for accuracy - not sure right now what is ''out there'' for hunting rounds but - std milsurp ball is still fairly easy to find.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    One of the local mechanic shop/gun shop guys got a bunch of those about 2 weeks ago. They keep bringing them to the range to shoot. I have never, in my life, heard a rifle that made sooooooooo much noise. Puts out about an 18" flame out the front too. I told one guy that he could probably put a hotdog on the bayo, pull the trigger, and cook it. As for accuracy, they seem to hold their own at 200 yards. good luck with your new deer/lady killer.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

Lead Moderator
    Very cool. If not for being LH'ed I might own a bunch of mil surplus bolt guns.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Surprisingly I found a lot of hunting rounds for it. Mostly soft points but few different kinds of hollowpoints as well.

Is the recoil similar to a 30-06 or is it worse?

There are lots of markings on the barrel that I am trying to figure out their meanings, anyone have any idea where I could find out such stuff?

All in all for about $80 plus the $40 for the ammo I think it will be a great deer stopper.

I did buy that p11 as well, to use temporarily until my wife's gun is repaired then it will be a gift for my father-in-law. If I like it though probably will purchase another at a later date. May take that to the range with him thursday as well.

All in all worth another 3 months of eating ramen at home instead of real food.

edit. Rocky I am lefthanded as well, with the straight bolt I am able to work the action while having the rifle almost completely shouldered. Not as clunky as I thought it would be, but I may change my tune after 30-40 rounds.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

Lead Moderator
    If I recall, the 7.62 R round is similar in ballistics to the 30-06. The felt recoil will depend on the stock I guess. I shot a 44 mosin once. The recoil seemed stiff to me.
    While bolts guns are not impossible to shoot, I just like having a gun set up correctly for me. I went all out and bought a Browning a bolt LH 30-06 , then an AR Stag arms LH upper.
    Someone should be able to direct you to where to find symbols, proof marks info. Enjoy your rifle.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Well, I just took both my M44 and German K98 Mauser out last weekend. I actually thought the K98 had a little bit stiffer of recoil. They are right around a .30-06, but keep in mind it has a steel buttplate, as opposed to a nice rubber one on a modern rifle.

My little brother could shoot my M44 without too much of a problem.

Here's a good site for some types of info: http://www.surplusrifle.com/russianm...9130/index.asp
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

BTW, that bolt will get very STICKY once you fire it 4 or five times. I'm right handed and find it tough to work the action after about 40 rounds...felt recoil....yeah it's a booger, I'm still a little bruised from this weekend ;)

Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Intentional Flincher View Post
    BTW, that bolt will get very STICKY once you fire it 4 or five times. I'm right handed and find it tough to work the action after about 40 rounds...felt recoil....yeah it's a booger, I'm still a little bruised from this weekend ;)
    Is the ammo that dirty, or does the gun just heat up and not want to move?

For ID purposes try here.
    http://www.7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinID.htm

For ammo check here from time to time.
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/c..._7_62x54R.html
    There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11? (Yuri Orlov [Nicolas Cage] Lord of War)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsbane View Post
    Is the ammo that dirty, or does the gun just heat up and not want to move?
    It's the ammo. But it does seem to get worse when the gun gets hot. I've been using the light Bulgarian ball, and it makes a real mess of the gun. Between the inherent dirtiness of the primers, and the Cosmoline that "bleeds" from the carbine, I make sure to get out the kit before I leave the range. Also, I spray Windex down the bore and run a few patches before getting to the usual cleaning routine, to clean out the corrosive residue from the mil-surp ammo.

Voltaire

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links