My Inland is a-comin'

This is a discussion on My Inland is a-comin' within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My order is finally being processed for my Inland M-1 Carbine. This is my first CMP purchase. Sent in my order May 3rd. Received confirmation ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Inland is a-comin'

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar

My Inland is a-comin'

My order is finally being processed for my Inland M-1 Carbine. This is my first CMP purchase.
    Sent in my order May 3rd.
    Received confirmation of my order June 6th (they received it May 7th)
    Today I checked the e-store (It's become a regular visit for me) and found my order is now pending but no ship date yet. The charge is pending on my bank.

I already have the sling, oiler, and 5 15 round magazines ($6 each from a store called "Working Man's Guns"). I'm still debating if this will be a plinker, bug out gun, or truck gun.

For you Carbine owners, what do you use yours for?
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

2. Remove Ads

Carbine M1 .30 caliber

I had a Winchester. It was a plinker and close range (50yd. and under) varmit gun.It also saw limited duty as a truck gun.

Senior Moderator
    First you Lucky SOB, I really want an Inland but they stopped taking orders before I had the funds together.

My M1 carbine is my primary defensive rifle. I use it as a plinker (Boy are they fun to shoot), and it will definitely be a BUG out gun if we ever need to BUG out.

But for defense you can't beat it. Light and tough capable of putting out a high volume of accurate fire at ranges out to 200 yards and harassing fire out to 300. Mags and parts are cheap and plentiful for you to stock up on. Invest in a reloader and you have my SHTF, TEOTWAWKI setup.

Still looking for one, my wife loves our current one,so I want to get another so we can both have one.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

http://www.odcmp.com/rifles/carbine.htm
    Prices now listed for Underwoods; $565 + S&H. Accepting orders in September, have it ready to mail August 30th.

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Whats this???????

pgrass101, click the back button now and come back in December when you get your's.

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Congrats on a fine war horse!
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Very nice!

Administrator
    Nice Rifle. Congrats.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Moderator
    Too late Daddy Warchimes I've looked at it. My it is really nice. Did the mags come with it?
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Mags, sling and oiler not included.

She arrived a lot cleaner than I expected. Just a little bit of grease around the rear sight. Took care of that with a toothpick and a rag.

The moving parts move, the clicking parts click. The magazines fit and release properly.

Unfortunately I couldn't find any dummy rounds for it. The guy at the gun store reassured me that it's safe to dry fire (which will really give me a clear indication of how it cycles let me tell you).

The wood is ugly, but completely sound. No noted deficiencies in the metal

This rifle is unbelievably light compared to my others. The AK weighs around 8 lbs, the AR 11 unloaded. At 5 1/2 pounds this is going to be a contender for bug out rifle (range session required first of course). Packing this and several hundred rounds would be no problem. If I can find a handgun chambered the same I'd be set.

Preliminary negative observations:
    I don't care for the safety. I'd like it better if it clicked into place (although I'm not worried about it moving on me). The placement is also less than ideal.

It doesn't point as naturally as my AR, and it's a little slower to get a sight picture. Should improve with practice.

No bolt catch, but I knew that before I ordered it.

I'm hoping for some range time this week; I now owe the board 3 reports.

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Senior Moderator
    You can get one of these to help with pointing.

The first thing everyone says to me that has never handled a M1 carbine before is "Are they all this lite?" My safety doesn't click either but it has always stayed put until I moved it.

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I've thought about that, but I don't think the advantage justifies the expense. $85 for the mount and $400 or so for the sight (I'm not getting another one of those blister pack deals from Wal-Mart); that's a whole lot of ammo, or another firearm. I think 1000 rounds ought to do the trick just as well.

My issue with the safety isn't about it moving (probably less likely on this than some of my others), just that I prefer a more distinct on/off indicator.

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Range report:

Factory ammo, Remington and American Eagle 110 gr ball.
    Fired unsupported from the table.

Group was about 7" at 100 yards. Hit high and right, but on paper without any adjustments.

75 rounds; 2 failures to fire, both related to operator headspace (1 round not chambered, 2 bolt not locked).

This rifle is different from what I'm used to. The safety is in an odd place, and the lack of bolt catch is strange to me.

I also fired up the 200 yard plate (about 18" or so) and hit it most of the time.

My shooting was brief so accuracy was not the focus. It cycled flawlessly (with the few rounds I put through) and the rounds don't seem to tumble. About as accurate as I could expect given the conditions.

The recoil is not unpleasant, but the weapon does move noticeably more than an AR.

I'll have to take it out with the bench rest and get a good zero some time.

DaddyWarcrimes.com

You can hold the bolt open by pulling the bolt to the rear and pressing the small pin on the op rod beside the bolt handle. To release pull back on the bolt handle.

Knew I should have read the manual

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links