Defensive Carry banner

A scattergun I am really interested in

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  CLASS3NH 
#1 ·
Years and years ago I had an older friend who was a major gun collector. The one gun he would never consider trading to me was a genuine Winchester Model 1897 Trench Gun. This was the real deal, it was carried for 20 years in the trunk of a WV State Trooper, whose wife sold it to him after the trooper passed.

It had the short bbl, and the heat guard on the top. I always thought this just screamed riot gun, and was very classic.

A few months ago I became aware that Norinco was marketing a copy of the trench gun to cowboy action shooters, but I've yet to find one.

Has anyone seen one, or even better, does anyone own one?

I'm in a retro mood these days with the new Mustang, and I think I would buy one just as a fun gun or to take camping with me.

#2 ·
I've seen several. Fit and finish isn't generally as nice as most of the actual ones I've seen, but I've also seen BEATERS that made the Norinco look like a Rolls Royce.

Expect lousy furniture and at times uneven finish. Expect decent function, and you can always replace the stocks.

#4 ·
It would be a beater to me. Just a behind the seat of the truck gun. How much are they running?

#5 ·
I haven't seen or gotten my hands on a Norinco 1897.

However, if you were my brother a few years ago, telling dad he wanted to buy a Norinco because he couldn't afford the real deal, you would've been the proud recipient of dad's genuine Winchester 1897 later for Christmas. I admit I was reeking jealous. :biggrin:

Dad later replaced his with the trench model.

#8 · (Edited)
A "TRENCH BROOM" for Sweeping Out The Trenches

Isn't that what they were called? :rolleyes:
I have an older ITHACA model 37...if you can find one ~ they are great too.
Machined solid, heavy steel receiver w/ bottom ejection.
The pre-disconnect models are lots of fun...just hold the trigger in & "pump away" & it rapid fires one for every forward push of the pump.
It's a very solid, reliable shotgun & a real good choice w/ the shorter "Police & Riot barrel" ~ Not very many "add on" acessories available for it though.
BTW I had a '97 but I sold it only about 2 years ago.
So MINE is "out there" somewhere. It was really nice.

#9 ·
rfurtkamp said:
I've seen several. Fit and finish isn't generally as nice as most of the actual ones I've seen, but I've also seen BEATERS that made the Norinco look like a Rolls Royce.

Expect lousy furniture and at times uneven finish. Expect decent function, and you can always replace the stocks.
That was true of the early models. The 6th generation guns have American walnut and fit and finish is very good.

#13 ·
QKShooter said:
Isn't that what they were called? :rolleyes:
I have an older ITHACA model 37...if you can find one ~ they are great too.
Machined solid, heavy steel receiver w/ bottom ejection.
The pre-disconnect models are lots of fun...just hold the trigger in & "pump away" & it rapid fires one for every forward push of the pump.
It's a very solid, reliable shotgun & a real good choice w/ the shorter "Police & Riot barrel" ~ Not very many "add on" acessories available for it though.
BTW I had a '97 but I sold it only about 2 years ago.
So MINE is "out there" somewhere. It was really nice.
"Thumb Busters" for sure (the 1898 model ) :biggrin: :banana:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.