Looking for Good AK-47... Need recommendations

Looking for Good AK-47... Need recommendations

This is a discussion on Looking for Good AK-47... Need recommendations within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have heard decent AK-47's are getting scarce and may be banned again. I am interested in having at least one good AK-47 but wow, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Good AK-47... Need recommendations

Question Looking for Good AK-47... Need recommendations

I have heard decent AK-47's are getting scarce and may be banned again.

I am interested in having at least one good AK-47 but wow, are there a lot of choices, types, styles and manufacturers.

Can some people point me in the right direction on finding the best brand or type to get, what to look for in picking out an AK and about how much I should expect to pay?

I see so many at gun shows and in ads, and while some I can obviously tell are kind of junky, I really don't know what to look for on that weapon platform.

About 12 years ago I picked up an Russian SKS out of Shotgun News for about $120 and was told the Russian ones were getting scarce. I have compared mine to some of the chinese, yugo, and other SKS's you are seeing now and am glad I got the Russian when it was available.

Thanks!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Bark'n I'm a big AK fan. I do not believe you need the more expensive AK's unless that is what you want. I have a Romanian that I paid around $300 for and then I customized it. I have a brother-in-law who is a dealer so it keeps the cost down. I have had pics of it on here but do not know how to link it to this thread. Ak's are great weapons and the best SHTF weapon you can buy in my opinion.

Thanks Ben... Yeah, I'm not looking for a real expensive one or anything, just needing to know what to look for and what to notice on the gun that may indicate it's gonna be a junker and something to avoid.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Bark'n. My AR15 post was right along the same lines as your AK47 post. Not only do I think they are nice weapons but with the possibility of the semi-auto ban.. I want one. We are both doing the same thing with opposite weapons. I'd be glad to throw in my 2cents on it.

So, I DO own an AK47. Mine isn't the least expensive of the group of AK's. It also not the most expensive. I have heard from several reliable sources that you can get a "cheap" AK and get a good one, and I believe this is true. I didn't exactly follow that rule, but I am very pleased with what I did purchase.

I bought an AKM 47 Classic from Atlantic Firearms. It has an Armory USA 1.6mm receiver. (Most AK's have a 1mm thick receiver) Chrome lined barrel, threaded barrel w/ slant brake, bayonet lug, Tapco G2 fire control,Bulgarian blonde wood stock set and pistol grip, Parkerized base finish w/ epoxy Gun-Kote, head spaced at factory, recoil buffer installed, 1 30rd mag, comes with a rifle case, and has a Lifetime Factory Warranty. It rolled in at $659.00. Its a little on the expensive side of AK's but I have seen some that are priced over $1000-1200 that have a lot of additional upgrades on them that I just didnt find necessary for an AK.

I dont know what your price range is, but this turned out to be a great AK for me. I am more than happy with the item I purchased by all stretches of the imagination. I am still looking to purchase a $400 +/- AK sometime in the future just to see the difference, and to have one more. I want one a side folder as well. I think what sold me the most is.. the whole package really.....but the Lifetime warranty and Gun-Kote epoxy finish especially. Its a very comfortable gun with minimal recoil, and its a LOT of fun to shoot. Easy to take down and clean, and will run under almost any circumstances. Whether it be dirty, ran with no oil, etc.

The price range for a lot of people will be 350-500$. I went a little above and beyond that and don't feel that I got ripped off for the weapon I purchased because its what I wanted. I dont mind paying a little extra for some of the features I want, while others may say.. Its an AK, you dont need all that crap! This may be true but its what I desired.

I feel like I didnt fully answer your post as much as I could, but I am only speaking for the AK that I OWN. I have shot others that ran fine and probably cost less than mine.

If you were near me I would invite you out to shoot and fondle my AK. Hope some of this helps.

Oh yeah, here's a link to the AK I bought.
    http://atlanticfirearms.com/programm...asp?Prodid=376
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

M2
    Yugo M70AB2, a great weapon but if you buy from Century make sure the sights aren't canted (a well-known problem). Otherwise it is a great AK, 1.6mm receiver and a metal underfold. Plus it is beautifully sinister in all black...and looks wonderfully badass with a Bulgarian AK-74 bayonet attached!

I am hoping to buy an Atlantic Bulgarian AK-47 SSR 85 C2 next weekend at the local gun show, if they have them for the same great price as last month's. For some reason I didn't buy one then...oh yeah, I remember, I just spent $6K on wooden floors for the wife!

The Norinco AKM I am 'gunsitting' shoots really nice. I have never been a big fan of the Romanian WASR-10s, mainly because every one I see for sale is badly used...but if you are looking for the $300 range that is the route to take.

Cheers! M2

Administrator
    I'm super happy with my Bulgarian SLR, I rarely see others as well made.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'd like to add, that I have also heard of the WASR-10's having some problems.

One of them being some of them will not accept doublestack AK mags without some modifications. I don't know if this has been cured yet or not, but its something I have heard several places.

Unfortunately for me, seems like most of the side folders that are pre-made as side folders are WASR's. My next AK will be a side folder.

Just wish I knew what models were compatible with a side folder stock, I'd just get a cheap-o and convert it.
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

I just purchased two Romainian WASR-10 Hi Cap for 310.00 each including shipping, the're not a 1200.00 AR but they work just fine. There are many AK review sites, try www.ak-47.us You will find a lot of helpful information.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    I own a Norinco MAK-90 and I think that the Chinese versions are really good. The thumhole stock is the only negative thing I can point out about mine. This maybe a rumor but I read somewhere when Navy SEAL missions require AK's they use Norincos.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'm super happy with my Bulgarian SLR, I rarely see others as well made.
    Sixto, I do like them bulgies. I've got one NIB that I traded with a friend for an SKS. I threw in a couple hundred on the deal.

I had purchased one when they were being imported and sold it a year later. Big mistake! I just got lucky, in the fact, that my friend had that one. He collects a lot of guns and never shoots them. Works for me!

G.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    I own a Norinco MAK-90 and I think that the Chinese versions are really good. The thumhole stock is the only negative thing I can point out about mine. This maybe a rumor but I read somewhere when Navy SEAL missions require AK's they use Norincos.
    Hi Doc, the Norinco MAK-90 is an excellent weapon. A lot of folkes don't like the thumbhole stock, but I feel it gives the shooter more control. Not that one needs it considering the recoil, but it's nice to have it if you ever need it.

G.

Senior Moderator
    Not to hi-jack this thread, but I'm looking at an AK myself.

So how bout this one Link

or building one using one of these LINK
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

VIP Member
    pgrass101 that AK looks fine to me and at a decent price. I wish I could find a pic of my Romanian to give you an idea of what you can do to it. I know the Romanians are the cheaper model but mine came new in the box and has never gave me any problems.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I have a Romanian GP WASR10, and believe me when I say it shoots a heck of alot better than it looks. Some die hard AK fans will tell you than the Romanians are crap, and you should stay away from them, but to me the AK47 was never designed to be a gun to look at. It was a weapon designed for untrained soldiers. The mags in my WASR10 do tend to wobble a bit, especially when they're empty, but that doesn't affect the gun's reliability. The finish on it is not that great, but I don't care, as long as the gun works. I can still hit paper at 300 yards. I bought it for $415, and it came with two 30 round mags, bayonet, cleaning/tool kit, and mag pouch. It's probably had at least 3000 rounds put through it now.

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

VIP Member

My Post Ban WASR 10 with accesories. Zero failures other that the operator's.
    That is one Ugly Black Rifle IMHO
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links