Bushmaster Carbon 15 9MM Carbine

This is a discussion on Bushmaster Carbon 15 9MM Carbine within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Are there any posters that are familiar with this carbine? http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/C...c15r16m4ft.asp I like the idea that it fires 9mm since it is much less expensive ...

Thread: Bushmaster Carbon 15 9MM Carbine

Bushmaster Carbon 15 9MM Carbine

Are there any posters that are familiar with this carbine?

http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/C...c15r16m4ft.asp

I like the idea that it fires 9mm since it is much less expensive than 5.56 mm
    • Beretta 92 fs
    • Beretta 8000 Cougar
    • Bushmaster M4
    • CZ P-01
    • Kahr CW9
    • Kel-Tec P3-AT
    • Sig 239
    • Smith & Wesson M&P 9c
    • Smith & Wesson 646 .357 mag
    • Springfield Milspec 1911
    • Springfield XD-9
    • Taurus PT-145
    • Walther P22

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I have no experience with that model, but I have quite a bit with the Colt 9mm SMG. If your questions are about 9mm ARs in general, maybe I can be of some help.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Lead Moderator
    I own a carbon 15 rifle in .223. Mine worked fine. I would imagine it is nearly the same gun. As for 9mm, what purpose do you want it for? I found for the outdoor stuff I wanted more distance in a carbine.
    you might want to do some reading on this site too.
    www.ar15.com
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

JT
    An AR-15 in 5.56 is a much more effective and versatile weapon, IMO.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I was looking at a 9mm carbine for the ammo cost too (and because it's easier to stockpile just one or 2 types of ammo), but found that the ballistics were pathetic. It is still a handgun round, after all. For the tiny extra punch, I think I'll stick with handguns, unless it is ONLY for really short ranges (like indoor defense).
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

My primary use would be range shooting.

I have numerous options for home defense - Springfield 1911, S&W .357 magnum revolver, Remington 870 12-guage.

I thought this 9mm AR-15 style carbine might be a cheaper-to-shoot alternative to a traditional 5.56 mm/.223 rem AR-15.

Plus, I have seen a new one for less than $700, which is approx. $300 than the least expensive Stag AR-15 that I've seen.
    • Beretta 92 fs
    • Beretta 8000 Cougar
    • Bushmaster M4
    • CZ P-01
    • Kahr CW9
    • Kel-Tec P3-AT
    • Sig 239
    • Smith & Wesson M&P 9c
    • Springfield XD-9
    • Taurus PT-145
    • Walther P22

If you want to play at the range cheap, I'd get a .223/5.56 and a conversion kit for .22lr. Then you shoot for nearly free, and have the option of a useful gun if you ever have the need.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!

Member Array Cactus Jack Garner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhawk View Post
    Plus, I have seen a new one for less than $700, which is approx. $300 than the least expensive Stag AR-15 that I've seen.
    That is really cheap. I just don't care for the 9mm much, though if it is just for plinking it is a cheap way to go. FYI, the last gunshow here a couple of weeks ago had numerous AR's (RRA & Bushy) for around $850. It seems as though the panic buying has ceased for a while. Don't worry it will be back. Especially if Billery gets elected. Then they will be gold.
    "Mercy is for the weak and the unprepared."

www.survivalmonkey.com

Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    If you want to play at the range cheap, I'd get a .223/5.56 and a conversion kit for .22lr. Then you shoot for nearly free, and have the option of a useful gun if you ever have the need.
    That is an interesting alternative. Any conversion kits that you suggest? What is the typical price for one?
    • Beretta 92 fs
    • Beretta 8000 Cougar
    • Bushmaster M4
    • CZ P-01
    • Kahr CW9
    • Kel-Tec P3-AT
    • Sig 239
    • Smith & Wesson M&P 9c
    • Springfield XD-9
    • Taurus PT-145
    • Walther P22

Quote Originally Posted by jayhawk View Post
    That is an interesting alternative. Any conversion kits that you suggest? What is the typical price for one?
    I can't help you with specific kits, but they are out there. Someone here knows a good one, I do believe they run around $200. It will definetely cost a bit more to get in the club this way, but I figure you should save $200 every thousand rounds. That'll add up quick to pay for the extra utility. Heck, Now you got me drooling over that option. Wish I had some dough.

Well, if noone steps up with an answer maybe this question got lost in the thread and you should start a new one.

Administrator
    I have had a ciener (sp) for close to ten years now. It works great, just dont run it dry. I've used it in my 20" Colt a 16" Bushmaster and RRA, and countless M4/M16. Full auto will work in shorts bursts but its not reliable at all.
    I use it for plinking once in awhile, or indoor training move and shoots. The only bad thing is mags, they are $$. I got it from Brownells.

9mm AR's are tons of fun to shoot, they are great for plinking, gun games etc. I choose a 9mm AR for the "Jungle Lane" type shooting events. I dont own one, but have a few friends that do. I always snag one of theirs at the range, and they tell me to get my own. Perhaps I should.
    Hmm, a 11" 9mm would be pretty cool... I'm going shopping.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Brownells has a Ciener kit for $140...though if you have your C&R you can get a pretty good discount on it!

Ceiner kit

Got my .22 conversion kit from Brownells years ago and zero problems since. Someone is making aftermarket polymer 30 round .22 magazines now. CTD sells them, but can't remember the name of the manufacturer. (Mad Dog or something?)

I played with one of those carbines at the SHOT Show, as well as one from Olympic arms that used Glock magazines. If I was getting one for a stockpile-ammo-and-magazine gun, I'd try the Olympic since mags are easier to get. Both seemed to be good quality.

It's not supposed to be more powerful, it's the same power as a handgun, just easier to hit with. Even the terrible handgun shooters at the range can hit with a Hi Point carbine, even at the back of the range where they have no hope of connecting with a pistol shot.

Links