Talk to me about .308 AR's please...

This is a discussion on Talk to me about .308 AR's please... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi Folks! I am considering the purchase of a .308 AR. I am generally a fan of Armalite products, but have been told that their ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hi Folks!

I am considering the purchase of a .308 AR. I am generally a fan of Armalite products, but have been told that their AR-10's have some durability problems.

On the other hand, I have also been told that the DPMS Panthers are the most durable .308 AR available, even though DPMS is one of the less expensive guns out there.

I dunno much about 'em either way. I'd really appreciate an education from anyone out there who knows something about .308 AR's - regardless of manufacture. ( Especially from folks with actual "hands on" experience )

Thank you for taking the time to post - I'm looking forward to learning something.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Gary i also have no hand on ... yet . I await the Rock River formfactor since the word i have heard is it will use FAL metric mags , mag cost imho needs factored inn on a battle rifle .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Gary,
    I had a DPMS .308 about two years ago. It was a superb rifle. It functioned flawlessly with milsurp ammo and was very accurate. I sold it because, at the time, magazines were difficult to find. I understand that has been resolved. At the time, SR-25 mags were the option and they were ~$125.
    Great gun-but after 30 years of marriage, anything with "PMS" in the name scares the heck out of me.
    If I hadn't found a great M1A Bush, I'd buy another DPMS.
    Dave

Can you tell me what other battle rifle chambered in 308 uses DI???

C4
    G&R Tactical, LLC
    www.GRTactical.com

are you focusing only on ARs or would you consider a FAL and/or other .308 battle rifles? I like the idea of the RockRiver gun that will take FAL mags personally. FAL mags (even with the rising prices) are still cheap.

DSArms!

DS Arms makes a very complete line of .308 beauties.

Quote Originally Posted by raysheen View Post
    are you focusing only on ARs or would you consider a FAL and/or other .308 battle rifles? I like the idea of the RockRiver gun that will take FAL mags personally. FAL mags (even with the rising prices) are still cheap.
    Yeah, I am pretty well settled on an AR . I love FAL's, but they are really pricey by comparison, and the AR platform is considered by many to be the most accurate in the world for long range stuff. (I'm looking to have one built with a fluted match grade barrel so I can vaporize groundhogs with it )

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Brommeland View Post
    (I'm looking to have one built with a fluted match grade barrel so I can vaporize groundhogs with it )
    Overkill much?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    Overkill much?
    Nah - I just like to shoot .308's & groundhogs are great targets to practice bullet drop, wind drift & lead estimates on...

VIP Member
    I am also looking for a 7.62N AR, and I also have basically no experience with them. Let's hear from owner/operators on their experiences! (And yes, I know AR15.com is probably a better place to look, but I can barely stand to set virtual foot in there these days...)
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I love the .308 cartridge. I've had great service out of a Springfield Armory M1A for 13 years, doing some high-power match shooting with it. I love the .30 cartridges!

Gary,

A different option would be to look at the newer, mid-powered rounds such as 6.5 Grendel and 6.8 SPC
    http://www.65grendel.com/
    http://demigodllc.com/~zak/firearms/6.8SPC/faq.php

This would give you added oomph over 5.56, while maintaining the ability to use standard sized magazines.

Just another thought for you. Personally, I found a gorgeous 308 AR, but it's a little out of my price range: http://www.pof-usa.com/P-416/P-308-2...%20CARBINE.htm

Cheers,
    B.

BAC
    I'll add my vote for the 6.5 Grendel. As for the AR-10 in 7.62N, only problem I've ever heard of them having was magazine issues (mags are expensive and not the most durable things out there).

-B

VIP Member
    Thanks, guys, but not interested in a 6.8 or 6.5 for this one - I want a 7.62 because it is a 7.62 - massively common, relatively cheap, and not going anywhere soon. It's not just about the performance/capabilities, in this case - for me at least.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I picked up a used Eagle Arms AR-10 about 6 weeks back. Other than the name, and a non chromed brl from the factory it is a Armalite. No problems at this point. The mags a $38+ but they are worth the price in my mind. You can convert M14/M1A1 mag but by the time you go through all the steps it is not all that much less. Unless you can mill them your self. Get the 2nd gen mags, they have gotten rid of the little spring loaded bolt stop pin.

Rock River Arms was my first choice but getting one was going to take time. Given the political climate it did not think time was on my side.

A buddy of mine has had a DSA FAL on order for at least three months.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links