High powered rifles w/muzzle brakes: bug killers?

This is a discussion on High powered rifles w/muzzle brakes: bug killers? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I seem to recall someone telling me that when he was at the range one sweltering hot, humid day, being bothered by gnats and mosquitos, ...

Thread: High powered rifles w/muzzle brakes: bug killers?

High powered rifles w/muzzle brakes: bug killers?

I seem to recall someone telling me that when he was at the range one sweltering hot, humid day, being bothered by gnats and mosquitos, that when he fired off a shot from a .308 bolt gun with muzzle brake, a lot of the bugs in the immediate vicinity dropped to the ground, killed (presumably) by the minor concussion that the rifle and especially the muzzle brake caused. Has anyone else been witness to this phenomenon or can otherwise lend credence to its truthfulness?
    Discretion is the better part of valour; and a virtue beyond reproach.
    Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

2. Remove Ads

Cant say i have ever seen it but i can see it happening the concussion is quite hefty on anything 308

Senior Moderator
    Yea.
    I even had people drop to their knees, hands over their ear and claiming that their sinuses broke loose and they needed to wipe their nose.

Dogs will run and hide and cats will climb trees. Birds will leave the county and if you are shooting at a covered range with a tin roof, soon everyone else will leave too.

Come to think of it, my nose runs after about the third round from my .50 BMG. The muzzle blast is horrendous. Not to me, but to anyone standing to the left or right of me.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Come to think of it, my nose runs after about the third round from my .50 BMG. The muzzle blast is horrendous. Not to me, but to anyone standing to the left or right of me.
    Thats why I got rid of an AR with a mini Y comp. I hated shooting that thing.

I've never seen the bug thing, but it wouldnt suprise me.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    SIXTO...

I actually took my brake off of my .50 BMG once. Since I had actually never shot it without it since building it, I figured, what the heck.

Biggest mistake I ever made.

I had NO idea how efficient the brake was in managing the recoil. I put 4 ports in it, angeling back towards the shooter at a 45 degree angle and had different sized orifices in front of each port so that the gas would be forced out of the ports instead of just bypassing them.

I knew that the muzzle blast was pretty tough and wanted to see just how much the brake that I designed actually had an effect.

The recoil went from a slow 6 inch reward "push" that one could stand all day long to a teeth jarring slam in the shoulder that gave me whiplash. My neck hurt for two weeks. It was fast enough and hard enough that suffering from a detached retina became a real concern. I had read of that actually happening to .50 shooters from the recoil. Not to mention that I had a rather large fireball burnt into my eyeballs for several minutes and it was broad daylight and rather bright and sunny.

Anyhow, that was the end of that. After one shot I put it back on and haven't shot it without it since. The difference was amazing to me...and enough that the terrific muzzle blast is worth the trade off of not having it.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Administrator
    LOL, I think its Barrett that ships a small package of aspirin along with their .50's. Now I (you) know why.
    "Just blame Sixto"

hotguns i just about pissed myself laughing so hard at you!!!!....lol

Senior Moderator
    My FAL has a break on it, I've had people move away from me when I've shot it under I cover range, of course that might have been during my "Baths are for wussies" phase.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Surrender

I heard the other bugs that didnt die, gave up and surrendered.

At my club, muzzle brakes are frowned upon, and could get one tossed off the line. Proper procedure is to go way down to the end of the line away from others, or shoot early in the morning when no one's around.
    NRA Benefactor member
    Michigan Antique Arms Collectors life member
    Ohio Gun Collectors member

Opinions expressed here are based upon Michigan state law ONLY. Other state laws may differ. Know and observe your local laws.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Thats why I got rid of an AR with a mini Y comp. I hated shooting that thing.

I've never seen the bug thing, but it wouldnt suprise me.
    I have a buddy who used to have one of those with the mini Y comp. That thing was just horrendous. One time we were camping in the desert and doing some plinking, and I grabbed a pop can and said "lets see who can make it dance the most". I quickly threw the can way out in front of us and raised like I was going to fire. He got caught up in the moment and forgot to put his ear protection back on before quickly firing 5 rounds. His ears were ringing for the next 2 days and he sold it about a month later.

I would not be surprised at all if some comps out there could knock out insects.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Administrator
    It felt like I was getting punched in the nose every time I shot it. Nobody would shoot next to me, that was kinda nice and annoying at the same time.
    "Just blame Sixto"

That was a very compelling, and funny story the way you told it HotGuns.

Thanks for the laugh, and for the advice on BMG's w/o a muzzle break!
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

Links