a question worth asking and arguing

This is a discussion on a question worth asking and arguing within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; what is the use advantages and disadvantages and cost of reloading of a marlin 336 in 30-30 and a marlin 1894 in 44 mag? i ...

Thread: a question worth asking and arguing

what is the use advantages and disadvantages and cost of reloading of a marlin 336 in 30-30 and a marlin 1894 in 44 mag? i have recently become rather intersted in the 44 mag for its versitility (small to large game as well as home defense).
    i am just wondering what you all think of the two as far as draw backs and advantages. and before the first thing you say is the range of fire i am speaking of close range home defense and as a brush gun so less than 150 yards (just to clarify ).

Just a couple of thoughts.

Hunting - I have heard that .44 is a great deer cartridge, but I have never used it myself. 30-30 is the quintessential deer cartridge in this country and is just a good all around cartridge for most anything short of Moose and Bear. Range has been improved with the advent of the new Leverevolution ammo from Hornady

Availability - 30-30 advantage is that when the world has ended and the dinosours have returned to their former glory, there will still probably be a box of 30-30 ammo in every 5th rubble pile because it has been so common for soooo long. 44 is well established, but not nearly as common.

44 advantage - You can get a handgun in the same caliber, if you can stand to shoot it. You can practice with the lighter 44 spl too. I have always been somewhat keen on the idea of having a carbine and handgun that use the same ammo. I have a lever gun in .357 to complement my pistols, and have often pondered a .40, and .45 carbine.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

If you're packing in the field, a Marlin 1894 .44mag and a ~4" .44mag revolver can be a great combo. So long as your game distance is < ~125-150yds or so, the same ammo can cover you for both.

Love my Marlin 1894P. 16" ported barrel, fairly lightweight, and a dream to shoot. Handles the stoutest Buffalo Bore ammo well. Can plink with lighter .44spl. Pairs well with a Ruger Super Redhawk, such as the Alaskan .44mag "snubbie", a Colt Anaconda or similar.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Assistant Administrator
    The reloading aspect is well worthwhile for either.... and IMO both will make for good savings. Certainly the potential for .44 combo is tempting.

I have a Marlin 94 but as it has micro groove rifling it is not ideal for cast bullets - even so, using XTP's with some of my .44 reloads I reckon my saving is around 50&#37; .... last costing IIRC was about 22 or 23c per round even with the expensive XTP's.

Thru a barrel of 20" or more the .44 will certainly have enough range and keep good velocity.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post

I have a Marlin 94 but as it has micro groove rifling it is not ideal for cast bullets - .
    That's funny. That is how I came to get my Marlin. A friend of my dad had problems with 30-30 reloads in the microgroove barrel so he traded the nearly new Marlin to me for a well used Winchester.

The reason I bring this up is that if palmographer is concerned with this problem, he could look for a used Winchester lever rifle, or probably still find some new ones on the market. There are other makers in the lever gun market these days too, but I don't have any knowledge of their quality or product line. I only know that they are out there.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    A friend of my dad had problems with 30-30 reloads in the microgroove barrel ... The reason I bring this up is that if palmographer is concerned with this problem, he could look for a used Winchester lever rifle ...
    Not all the Marlins have micro-groove rifling. The 1894P I have, for example, has the deeper, 6-groove Ballard rifling. Of course, the twist is slow in the Marlins, which can affect stabilization of the heavier bullets. But I've shot up to 300gr Buffalo Bore, DoubleTap and a couple others without issue. 240gr seems to be the sweet spot, though. Very accurate stuff, in mid-weight.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Yeah, the compatibility is nice, with .44. 240 gr JHPs to 300 Buffalo Bore, or Barnes Solids- nice variety.

Assistant Administrator
    SgtD - I do think tho haven't checked, that Savage offers a nice ''94 style" lever - and that I expect Ballard rifled too. I have a Win 94 but that's in .357 and quite short barrel.

ccw9mm may correct me but I seem to recall early Marlin 94's were Ballard then they went micro - and then more recently back to Ballard. I still like mine a lot but certainly wish it was not the micro.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Every shooter should own at least one 30/30! Much as I love the .44Mag, even from a rifle it's trajectory makes the 30/30 seem like a 22/250.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

When you can't decide between the two, buy them both.

"First rule of a gun fight is to have a gun"

I think you'll see a reasonable cost savings on either one you choose. The 30-30 is just so much fun to shoot, the savings may be greater. Just be sure you get that crimp down good. As for the Marlin 44mag, you might want to check with others that have the marlin 44. Some lever actions that handle pistol cartridges are overall-length sensitive (especially Winchester 94AE). The Marlin might not like the 44sp due to its shorter length. The satisfaction of "rolling your own" is justification alone for reloading.

Having your rifle & handgun in the same caliber, using the same cartridges is a plus out in the field. Reloading .44's would be a bit easier and maybe also a bit cheaper. I've got a Marlin 1894 lever rifle in .44 & a couple of .44 Ruger revolvers ( Vaqueros, Blackhawk, Super Blackhawk) to back it up.

from the research i have done i believe all the new marlin 44 mags are the ballard barrels now so that they work well for cast bullets. as for versatility i meant for smaller game as well. like coyote sized and such. i handled one and really liked the balance and feel of the rifle. with cast bullets it would seem to be a really inexpensive weapon to shoot with often to get the correct skills to be truely good with it. it could also serve as a decent shtf weapon due to the range of things that you could hunt with it and would also present enough power to make a 2 legged varment reconsider his decision. =O) any other feed back you all have would be great. this forum is truely the best i have ever found =o) knowledge and humor both in great amounts =o)

Advantage just like any caliber you can go from mild to wild

44 Mags are not cheap neither for that matter are 30-30 but cheaper than 44's

you can shoot more when you reload notice i didn;t say save any money because you will shoot more

Sponsored Links