Is shotgun more intimidating?

This is a discussion on Is shotgun more intimidating? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; OK - forget the Hollywood racking sound hype .... and assume the perp is not on dope and very cognissant of a return threat from ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is shotgun more intimidating?

Assistant Administrator

Is shotgun more intimidating?

OK - forget the Hollywood racking sound hype .... and assume the perp is not on dope and very cognissant of a return threat from shottie.

In the milliseconds where he might decide to fight or yield, might the shotgun (assuming visible of course) be a greater deterrant than the production of a handgun?

IMO it might - if for no other reason than, while it might be regarded as relatively non lethal (depending on range) - anyone with sense will know and maybe imagine, multiple hits and the possible damage ... even to face and eyes.

Add to that the lesser need for accurate shooting ... it is a one-shot spay'n'pray compared to handgun, with very good odds of contact.

I like many have a house shottie but my handgun would almost always be out first .... and if so very necessarily and probably going to be used. However, maybe when visible, the shottie has a deterrant edge?
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

I think so the size of a 12 gauge pointed at ya .. and you dont have to be a expert to use it even if your shaking at close range buckshot is gonna hit something

Lead Moderator
    perhaps, the barrel is large and scary when viewed from the wrong end. On that note, is a AR15 , AK 47 variant or other military battle rifle scarier ?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    I would vote for the shotgun as the most intimidating of the options presented thus far...OMO.

Depends on the preconceptions/misconceptions of the BG.

I disagree with the spray and pray notion, there's a great piece on Personal Defense TV where they shoot at a torso target at a variety of distances, it's a centered shot in most scenarios.

Everyone seems to say that racking a pump can stop a BG in his tracks, I would be inclined to move backwards if confronted with that noise but then I'm not a Darwin Award candidate... the sort of people who break into houses aren't always smart.

I would be happy to defend my life with a shotgun or a handgun, but I don't expect to have to show it to the person at the other end long enough for them to see what I have - they will not know what hit them, literally.

So, IMO it is a moot point. When it's time to rock and roll I won't be considering if they are a visual deterrent. Guns only come out when absolutely needed.

I am pretty certain that your average street level gang banger is very respectful of the "gauge". I recall reading somewhere that some were interviewed and stated so, but I can't recall where I read it.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

VIP Member
    The two times I've pointed one at someone they became the most compliant individuals they could possibly be given that they were where they shouldn't have been. Haven't had the opportunity to point a handgun at someone so no comparison. Big black scary looking rifles work well also.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

+1 on what Pete said

If any of my guns come out for SD (<<<and I dont mean stupid discharge), it will not be for show'n tell.
    David

Ride hard and Shoot safe

The first rule of gunfighting should be to know when the gunfight starts - being the last one to get the news certainly won't put the odds in your favor.

Assistant Administrator
    Agreed re ''show'n'tell'' .... but I was making the proviso that a shottie would be visible - and then maybe permitting a split second decision on perp's part to - perhaps - call it a day

Perhaps the definition of a ''sensible decision"
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    A shotgun is definitely more intimidating than a handgun in my experience. Unless I've forgotten someone, I've pointed it at 3 BG's (I've already written about 2 of them in Armed Success)and I think that the shotgun was instrumental in their capture and de-escalation of events. In other words they gave up, and what a good ending.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Add to that the lesser need for accurate shooting ... it is a one-shot spay'n'pray compared to handgun, with very good odds of contact.
    This isn't exactly true, at HD distances the pattern hasn't really opened up yet. Across a room, it's like aiming a rifle. My Benelli M1S90 is my primary HD gun, all of the Buck loads I've patterned put about a 3-6" pattern at 7 yards, Hornady TAP pretty much makes one large single hole at that distance. At 25 meters I can keep a pattern on a silhouette. Since I "own" every pellet that exits the muzzle I've done quite a bit of patterning with mine to see what gives me the tightest pattern at the distances in my house.

A shotgun might be more intimidating, but I choose it because of the 2400 lbs of energy at the muzzle. Compared to that, most handguns pale in comparison, and you've got to go up to .308 or larger to surpass with a rifle.

I've taken a couple tactical shotgun classes, with some training the shotgun really is a formidable weapon.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

OK...Scary, Huh?...

I believe that if something happens around my home, my Kimber will probably be the first to appear...because it's usually on me or right next to me...

But if shotguns LOOK bigger, then my 'reworked' double barrel 12 ga nickel coach gun looks pretty BIG when you looking at the business end

OMO...the BG's may vary...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

racking...

How about releasing the charging handle on a Saiga 12 with a 10 round magazine, now that would be pretty freaking scary... a 12 gage Kalashnikov

I feel that a shottie is definatly more intimidating than a handgun. Possibly from the movies where a shotgun will blow a watermelon sized hole in a BG or send him through a wall. (physically impossible by the way)
    I'd take a shot from a pistol over a shot from a scattergun any day(assuming its loaded with buck or slugs etc..)

Also I can't help but feel it is easier to aim a shotgun than a pistol in a scary situation.
    Shoot straight
    -mac
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

Intimidation factor?

The sound alone of racking the slide would raise my neck hair. Having someone point one at me with bad intentions would make me seriously rethink career choices if I were a BG.
    "I no longer list firearms I own as a signature. Why give them another list to use when they come to get them?"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links