The AK-47 pic & info thread

This is a discussion on The AK-47 pic & info thread within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Yep, I'm thinking about changing my purchase idea from the SKS to the old AK-47, for a number of reasons. 1. Compactness -- AKs seem ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The AK-47 pic & info thread

Yep, I'm thinking about changing my purchase idea from the SKS to the old AK-47, for a number of reasons.

1. Compactness -- AKs seem to have a handier frame than the SKSs do, which would make it better for roadtrips/camping that I plan on using it for.

2. Magazines. C'mon, you gotta love the look of that drum. :-D

3. I've heard the AK is more accurate than the SKS; this may not be the case, just what I've heard.

Alright, but here is the problem -- I know absolutely nothing about the AK-47! Okay, I know some, but not as much as I need to make a good purchase. What types/styles are out there? Which are best? Is the folding stock kind okay? Is that cool-looking drum any good, and where can I find them? So I'm asking you for all the info (and pics) that you got on AK-47s. Let the info and stories begin!!
    A man without a blackthorn stick is a man without an expedient. - Irish Proverb

Why so SERIOUS?

Assistant Administrator
    I have no links to hand but - there is a wealth of info ''out there'' on the web. A Google search may add quite a bit to available info.

I have a basic SAR1 ... it serves me fine, altho I have yet to reduce the trigger slap - that tho is a minor point really. Lot of folks like WASR's. Some even build their own - I have a shooting buddy who's AK is built up to be essentially a Polish gun .. and it's awesome.

You need to remember or research the mandatory US made parts count if building.

I have three various SKS's and they shoot pretty well but overall I prefer the AK platform.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

JD
    Administrator
    The drum is expensive, heavy, and a pain to load.

IMHO your better off with a couple dozen 30 rounders.

The better AKs are te pricier ones from Atlantic Arms, check out them out at Atlantic Arms

Also if your buying, ask what type of trigger it has, the original AKs have what's called "trigger slap" which is a very rough reset and it will beat your finger to death.

An aftermarket trigger kit like the Tapco G2 will remove the trigger slap and improve trigger pull.

Other than that I can't help much as I don't have one

VIP Member
    P95Carry I really like your AK. I looked at it very close the last time you showed it on here and saw you notched out the safety so it holds back your bolt. I did the same to mine after seeing yours and now I do not have to put a wood clothes pin in the action to make it safe at the range.

Assistant Administrator
    Ben - yes I did the notch - but in fact I need to further mod things as the bolt handle still has a fwd radius which makes it 'escape'' sometimes and slam home. I will decrease that radius and modify the safety a bit more - might even get a spare safety and start over. I much prefer a bolt hold-open facility.

The red on trigger BTW - which I have mentioned before - is 6mm silicon tube - it cushions the trigger slap and so makes it bearable
    Chris - P95

VIP Member
    Risque, There is no such thing as a bad AK. There are expensive ones and cheap ones and that's about it. Tha basic difference IMHO is finish, some are purty and some are in need of work.

I own an alleged bottom of the line: a post ban romanian WASR10. Yes, the finish was not Kimber quality but I did have lots of fun bringing up to speed with little expense.

This was my AK almost like it came out of the box with 3 modifications: Wood foregrip, rail with cheap red dot and the furniture was stripped & refinished. (Cat not included)

Same gun a year later and hunting for bargains as much as I could.

And forget about a drum magazine. Heavy, hard to load and annoying. AK mags are plentiful, reliable and cheap. The only mag I have malfunctioning is because its spring is just kaput and I gotta get a replecement. As for trigger slap, mine is a single hook trigger and never had that problem, don't ask me why. I tried an AK with a double hook and it is a much smoother pull so it is in my list for the future alongside the muzzle break.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Assistant Administrator
    Guys - Ben Hennesy referred to my safety notch on my SAR - to give some bolt hold-open facility.

I have written up a simple approach to that if anyone interested who hasn't done it.
    Chris - P95

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    It's been a long time since I fired a AK-47, however I would not snub my nose at a SKS-D. Lots of stock options for them as well and likely cost less than the AK.

Senior Moderator
    Nice pics. I'm wanting to upgrade from a M1 carbine to an AK sometime before December.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by Risque007 View Post
    3. I've heard the AK is more accurate than the SKS; this may not be the case, just what I've heard.
    Two ex-Marines who served in Vietnam told me that they wanted SKSs because they were more accurate than the AK! Who knows. Realistically, if you buy the Arsenal or Vepr, it will be as accurate as you and ammo allow it to be. Less money means you'll be pulling mil-spec accuracy (generally), and for both the AR and AK that's 2.0 MOA. You may do better. Many of us have ARs that can hold 1.0 or a tad over, specialized guns even better. Several folks on WT have reported 1.5MOA with WASRs and Yugos, so...

Unless you go Class III, the drums are an expensive PITA.

I have a WASR and a Romy G kit-gun, and I love them both.

BTW: www.warriortalk.com has a good and friendly AK board, not something that can be said of some.

AK's are great. I have a drum and it is a PITA to load. I only use it with my RPK because of the wieght, the RPK has a bi-pod. Oh! it is fun to make a friend load the drum if they want to shoot. You will get plenty of range time while they struggle with it.

I have a WASR 10 and love it!!!!

I also own a very expensive preban Chinese type 56.

There is a big difference in quality.
    But if your looking for a blaster to have fun with at a real good price , you really can't beat the WASR's. they are very reliable. I have yet to have a malfunction with mine and I am at around 2k rounds through it.
    Longbow
    "Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Professional hand engraver.
    To see full picture of knife in Avatar click here

I own four AK's and they are all great weapons; always fire, simple to learn and shoot. I believe that is the main attraction - simplicity. I do not recommend an underfolder. They certainly look cool but that folder becomes sloppy after use and I think you will regret it.
    Semper Paratus (Always Ready)

I like my Saiga, went shooting yesterday with two friends from work, they liked the Saiga too..

Here's my setup:
    Attached Images

That Saiga is sweet! What's the price on those as compared to the AK?
    A man without a blackthorn stick is a man without an expedient. - Irish Proverb

Why so SERIOUS?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links