AR-15 Optics Help - Eotech range?

This is a discussion on AR-15 Optics Help - Eotech range? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As I've just show in another AR thread, I don't know much about rifles (I'm a pistol guy). Nontheless, I'm slowly learning. Right now I'm ...

Thread: AR-15 Optics Help - Eotech range?

AR-15 Optics Help - Eotech range?

As I've just show in another AR thread, I don't know much about rifles (I'm a pistol guy). Nontheless, I'm slowly learning.

Right now I'm looking pick up some optics for my BM M4 (A3 handle). Eotechs seem like a nice concept, but are they just for close quarters? Will they help (versus the iron) with shooting at 50-100 yards or are they just for up-close. While I'm looking for an optics to aid at close range (50') I'd like something that would help me pick up targets fast at further down range. I carry a pistol and own a pistol grip equipped winchester 1200 defender shotgun - so I don't want to turn my rifle into a tool for just up close (I have that covered).

Here's what I'm trying to choose between:

1.) Eotech
    2.) Aimpoint
    3.) Super Sniper Scope http://www.swfa.com/c-231-super-snip...le-scopes.aspx

Any words of wisdom? I'm looking for something to have fun with at the range, to hold true with the concept of a 16" carbine, and to enhance my rifle self defense related capactity.

Thanks for any adivce!

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I would not do the scope, as its a lot tougher/slower in the closer carbine ranges. The EOtech Aimpoint will only hinder you in extreme long distances, but thats not what the carbine is designed for anyway.
    The bad thing with aimpoints is the dot gets lost in bright or flashing lights. I have not noticed this with the EO.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have a Bushnell HoloSight on my BM/DPMS custom CAR-15. The Bushnell sight is made by Eotech and about $100 cheaper because it doesn't have the armor wrap or nightvision compatable dot. Other than that, they are exactly the same.

I have mine dialed in at 100 yds, and off the bench using sandbags, consistently group about 2 inches using Lake City XM193 55gr. FMJs.

Since the flattop receiver puts the center of the sight about three inches above the center of the barrel, point-blank range is out to 150.

The benefit of the holographic sight is there is no paralax to figure in. No matter how you mount the stock, if you see the dot, put it on what you want to shoot and squeeze the trigger.

I love mine! I'd recommend finding the version that uses AA batteries instead of the N batteries. They last about the same amount of time, but AAs are much easier to find and are much cheaper.

Good luck with your decision. I hope this helps.
    NRA Certified Instructor

Primary carry guns: Glock 23, SA Loaded Custom LW Micro .45, S&W Model 10

If those don't work: BM/DPMS CAR-15 custom, Rem. 11-87 3.5-inch

VIP Member
    I have shot my EOTech equiped M4 out to 500m several times, and qualified (Army pop-up course, 50 to 300m targets) 6 times. It is better then iron sights at all ranges, IMO. If you need precision shots at 200m or more, you might want magnification...but then again, you might want a 7.62N rifle... :)
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    If you need precision shots at 200m or more, you might want magnification...but then again, you might want a 7.62N rifle... :)
    Exactly! See, walking all that way for a pin was worth it!
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    You will be fine with an Eotech or an Aimpoint or anything along those lines. Those carbines are not precision rifles, so don't expect to be doing 1,000 yard/meter MOA shot groups with them. The effective range on the AR carbines is round about what a competent shooter should be able to easily do with open/iron sights. That being said, the need for magnification is not there.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    I have shot my EOTech equiped M4 out to 500m several times, and qualified (Army pop-up course, 50 to 300m targets)
    I've qualified with the Aimpoint, they work just fine. I've also qualified with a 4X scope, no problem. I wouldn't recommend magnification over 4X. Aimpoint makes a quick detach 3X magnifier to work with their sights, that looks promising.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Senior Moderator
    You can also use the Aimpoint 3x magnifier with the Eotech. Eotech is supposed to be releasing their own 3x detachable magnifier soon as well.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    You will be fine with an Eotech or an Aimpoint or anything along those lines. Those carbines are not precision rifles, so don't expect to be doing 1,000 yard/meter MOA shot groups with them. The effective range on the AR carbines is round about what a competent shooter should be able to easily do with open/iron sights. That being said, the need for magnification is not there.
    +1

Iron sights work very good when used properly and can be used to hit targets pretty far away. Guys have been doing it for years. If you want a red dot scope IMHO I prefer an Aimpoint. Please note I have an EO-Tech, Tripower, and just got rid of a Leupold CQ-t. After playing around with the aimpoint at work. I learned that they are incredible fast. Theres not a circle with a dot in the middle, but rather just a dot. These sights are also rated for close to 40,000 hours of use. The nice thing that a aimpoint offers to that EO-Tech doesn't offer on the sight is a front cover. I shoot both eyes open and having the front cover closed on an Aimpoint and bringing the rifle up real fast the weak eye automatically puts the dot on target even though you cannot see throught the tube. Even from 25-50 yards, accuracy is not affected. If any thing you I've gotten faster getting my shots off with the same level of precssion.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Links