Defensive Carry banner

keeping the 870 safe from kids but ready for action

12K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Chuck R. 
#1 ·
this is my first post on this forum. can someone tell me if there is a device that locks a shotgun (think clam shell that bolts to a wall stud) but can be opened with a finger style key pad (a la the gun vault)--or better yet, biometric finger print?

the device would ideally lock the trigger gaurd area and prevent the gun from being racked. the triger locks i've seen are downright dangerous and ridiculous. i have a gun vault for a handgun...but really want to get an 870 but don't feel good about having it with kids in the house.

i think gun vault makes a long/rifle size safe with their "hand access" on top...but i was looking for something i could mount behind the bed ...onto the wall--into a stud.

does this magical beast exist? or am i missing the point? i'm a bit new to guns and just got my CCW

mcvolvo
xd45 acp compact
NRA member
Scottsdale Gun Club Member

#2 ·
it does not exist...I looked...so I made one :smile:
I used an electronic gun lock from Santa Cruz (the kind of lock they use in a lot of police cars) and a keypad from smart home.

These locks grab the 870 around the barrel and mag tube so that the gun can't be racked...leave it in "cruiser ready" mode with an empty chamber and full mag and you are ready to go.

http://www.santacruzgunlocks.com/products/locks/pump.html

...of course then I ended up finding out that I'm more comfortable leaving it in the safe...at night I open the safe before I go to bed and close it first thing in the morning....works better for me that way, but you can certainly use the locks from SC to make something similar to what you want. My only problem was that I didn't come up with a battery backup and even though it has a key backup I wanted a battery...I'm still working on it in my spare time but I haven't done much with it in a while.

#3 ·
I installed 2 bicycle hooks inside my master bedroom closet above the door. I hang my 870 there. You cannot see it unless you stand in the closet looking out into the bedroom.

You have to reach above the door to get it so it is away from small hands and is out of sight.

#4 ·
raysheen, I wish you'd posted that last week. I just finished building a custom gun-rack for myself, and I couldn't find any good DIY gun-locks to complete the system, so I went with the next best thing - adjustable bicycle U-style locks mounted on a steel plate. They work, but I would love to eventually move to some of those santa cruz locks. They're exactly what I was looking for in the first place.

#8 ·
I agree with you, but the problem might not be just with your kids

For those with children that rely solely on training, how are you going to train your child’s friends too?

When I was just a kid, we had unsecure guns in our house, lots of them, so did my cousin. It was pretty much common knowledge back then, our families hunted and most of the neighborhood kids new it. All the family children had been taught the proper respect for firearms.

Then a 14 year old friend of my cousin broke into his house one afternoon and committed suicide with one of their rifles. Both families were devastated by it. My uncle and cousin never felt the same way about firearms again and all their guns were moved up into their attic.

This was back in the days of personal responsibility, when folks placed blame where it should have been, but still the two families that were once close were never the same again. I hate to think what would happen in today’s litigious society if the same thing were to happen. I believe that the potential risk of someone gaining access to one of my loaded HD weapons to be greater than the extra few seconds it takes me to open a container so my stuff stays locked up unless in use. The cost for a couple quick access storage containers or any security system is pretty cheap compared to the peace of mind they provide.

Chuck

#7 ·
I use a surplus car mount from a police cruiser. (very much like raysheen's build) I drilled some holes into the frame of the mount, and used 4 lag bolts to mount it to the wall in the master closet. I extended the release button to a hidden spot well out of a childs reach, but within easy reach for an adult. The two small wires needed for the remote release are hidden inside the door trim.

The gun itself was well hidden behind hanging clothes, but it was very quick and easy to get to if needed. It was also fairly secure against theft. If they tried to rip it out, I'm sure it would have done serious damage to the gun.

This was in my old house, I have not remounted it in my new house yet. This time, I'm going to mount it higher, above the door. That way its a lot harder for a theif to get enough leverage on it to rip it out of the wall.

You can buy these car mounts from any police supply place, or get a used one at a surplus auction. The used ones are cheap... I think I paid $15.00. New ones are fairly expensive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.