You Do Know How To Run An AK, Don't You?

This is a discussion on You Do Know How To Run An AK, Don't You? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; That was the question that ended the briefing given by Insights Training Center. The briefing was based on information gleaned from careful analysis of video ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    August 19, 1970 - June 2012

That was the question that ended the briefing given by Insights Training Center. The briefing was based on information gleaned from careful analysis of video footage recovered in Afghanistan. The videos showed al Qaeda personnel training for various terrorist missions in the West. They were dedicated, organized and training for missions designed to result in the deaths of innocent people.

Given the tactics they were practicing, it became apparent that the only hope for survival was for the ersatz victim to rapidly and aggressively take action. If you were armed, use your pistol to "buy" you a better gun, namely a longgun and the guns they tended to utilize were Kalashnikovs.

Hence, the question: "You do know how to run an AK, don't you?"

Having no life, I assumed that the common answer would mirror mine..."Of course!, don't you?" However, it became glaringly apparent, when I introduced an AK into the mix at a range session for some of my colleagues, that running an AK was not the common skill that I expected.

Following this unexpected discovery, I decided to take an AK around to a handful of defensive carbine classes and get an appreciation for this weapon system. What I discovered was that everyone had a system of gunhandling for the M16/AR15 platform but very few had any such system in place for the Kalashnikov. This was due to the reality of not having many of them in training classes as well as, I believe, the perception that the system was inferior and unworkable.

While the AK is a different system and must be run differently than an AR, it does not suffer the handicap that common knowledge would lead us to believe.

[OK, I'm rambling now, so I'll continue this later... ]

You mean that every hick with an Uzi and a pile of Sigs and FALs can't disassemble an AK blindfolded?

Oops, I forgot I was alone in the world. ;)
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

VIP Member

Welcome aboard, Paul!

I have an AK, more or less

It's a Romanian WASR that has ran without a hitch, and I was able to repair the trigger slap problem with help from another web-site.

I would like to know more about this system....and one biggie: how to improve the sights! Any info you can share would be most appreciated.
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

August 19, 1970 - June 2012
    Sights for an AK can be dealt with in a couple of ways.

For a defensive gun, I'm a big fan of the old clip-on, fold-up East German Night Sights.
    You can find these things for sub-$20. They clip onto the factory sights and the front is reminescent of a Big Dot sight from XS Sights. The rear is a large U-shaped notch. They are painted with 'glow in the dark' paint, which is kind of cheesy, but you can strip them and repaint the front dot with white 2-part epoxy without to much headache and they are super fast fighting sight setup.

XS Sight Systems is offering a white line/tritium front sight now that comes with a new windage slide, front sight, appropiate wrench & loctite for an MSRP of $70. Open the rear sight notch to .100 and you are good to go.

For me, being the type of guy who has both weapons platforms and the Select fire versions, the AK and M16 are very different. The AK can be broken down, cleaned and will function almost flawlessly even in the harshest conditions. With the AR/M16 types, I find , as you also do, the mechanical tollerances are so tight, that even the slightest amount of grime build-up will make the weapon inoperable, and the need to tear it down more often than the AK will ever need. The basic Soviet "quick clean" method is to , yep you got it, "wet clean" it.. I won't go into detail, but you guys get the message. With that, can you ever imagine doing that to a Colt 16? nope, never. Both weapons function best with controlled bursts. Riunning a full 30 rnd burst will result in the weapon rising not matter how strong you are. Something that tends to look good, but has no real purpose, except waisting ammo. Don't get me wrong now, I LOVE to do it, but if it's going everywhere but the target, what does it accomplish? LOL. Have you/ or do you remember the video that was sold, about 20 yrs ago, based on weapons tests? handguns, rifles, shotguns, etc. It showed the AK round to go clean thru a windshield, with the 223 round deflecting off the glass. With that, I'd take the AK over the 16, not to mention it works under the most extreme conditions. Something the Soviet Army always was most feared for having that ablility to do.

Assistant Administrator
    Just a plain ol' SAR1 here - fitted a red dot, which while hardly failure proof (batteries) - is quick to use and gives rapid target aquisition. At short ranges despite the red dot being there - it is exceptionally ''pointable'' and so I have not considered the red dot an impedance. I also have said sighting because of old eyes/iron sights prob's.

I tend to ''assume'' these days we all have AK familiarity - but for those who don't - grab someone elses and go have some fun whilst learning!

(BTW - my red trigger - it is my temporary lazy man's partial fix for trigger slap - some silicon tubing!)

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Question Why Waltz when you can ROCK-N-ROLL

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    I tend to ''assume'' these days we all have AK familiarity - but for those who don't - grab someone elses and go have some fun whilst learning!

(BTW - my red trigger - it is my temporary lazy man's partial fix for trigger slap - some silicon tubing!)

I had some AK and other foreign weapons training in the army. I always just forget the direction of "FIRE" for the safety lever on the right side. "DOWN" is fire, right?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Just a plain ol' SAR1 here - fitted a red dot, which while hardly failure proof (batteries) - is quick to use and gives rapid target aquisition.
    Is there a actually a gun made that you don't own Chris? I would think the red backdrop should be developing some wear patterns by now. LOL
    You do have some nice hardware there my friend...no doubt!

Kimber Ultra CDP Elite STS II

A gun is a tool...the real weapon is between your ears!

Dotn have one but could run one no problem thinking of getting one or some other knockoff

I don't own an AK 47, but I already have an SKS. I think I would be okay if you gave me an AK 47 and told me to figure it out.

Even at that I do want an AK47. I like semiautomatic rifles in 7.62x39

Actually i prefer the Hk rifles in 308 ... the 7.62x39 is kinda weak

But it's so light and easy to fire and best of all so very very cheap.

yeah but i had load so i can shoot my 30-06 and 300 mag or the 308 pretty cheep :)

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    I own an SKS, but it is still full of cosmoline. It's a Yugo.

I have shot and handled an AK; so, I know what to do to it to use it.

As for sights, check out Mojo sights.

Assistant Administrator
    Yep Ex - down is FIRE!!

Deke - yeah, I do have a lot of stuff - it's called ''enthusiasm'' - or otherwise - ''but honey - it's investment'' - not that I ever explain for what! Oh yeah - my retirement - yep, that's it.

You have to remember too - I ''lost'' a boatload of stuff back in UK in '97 - and despite rapidly advancing years was determined to rebuild my collection, and some. That was all helped by having sold up pretty much all I had before I moved, well, a lot - and so had some funds to ''invest''

I enjoy almost all platforms, particularly cannons, as may have been noticed, but also tough semi's like the AK - tho perhaps even if more costly to shoot my fave EBR example is the FAL.

Dang it - I love em all. Might as well enjoy my ''twilight years''.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links