How do you guys feel about the Ruger Mini 30 and Mini 14? - Page 2

How do you guys feel about the Ruger Mini 30 and Mini 14?

This is a discussion on How do you guys feel about the Ruger Mini 30 and Mini 14? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have had a mini 30 since 1986, and had no problems with it. It is my primary rifle house gun, and backs up the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you guys feel about the Ruger Mini 30 and Mini 14?

I have had a mini 30 since 1986, and had no problems with it. It is my primary rifle house gun, and backs up the Winchester Defender. 6 20 round mags make for a lot of house defense...

Yes but I don't have $1600 dollars to spend. I wouldn't even think about buying a new one, the price is a little too high for the poor accuracy. But I can get a good deal on very good condition mini and send it to ASI for the same or less than your average AR.

Way over priced for what they are, and are capable of, by the time you get one shooting acceptable groups you are better off investing the money from the git go on a ar15 platform.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    I feel that the Mini 14's and 30's are fine for what you paid 5 or more years ago. To me they are somewhat overpriced nowdaze.

If you did your research as to what you were gettin' for your money and were comfortable with that, then you got a good deal.

Also the application--> to have a weapon that ranchers,farmers,and others that do alot of work in the "back 40",these weapons held enough ammo of a powerful enough loading,and were accurate enough to take care of preditors,dispatching wounded animals,and self defense.

This, coupled with ease of opperation and the fact that you could have loaded mags in the truck without inserting them in the weapon or loaded mags in the weapon without having a loaded chamber,made these close to ideal. Also for fireing from a vech,the OAL of these weapons made them very handy.
    And the low recoil was somewhat a plus.

They wern't designed to take the place of any brand of 7.62X51. But who would want to carry a 43(or more)inch FN around in their P/U truck. -------

I like the mini-14/30. I like the looks and the action is more reliable than the AR platform. If i had the chance that 75Scout has to purchace one for a little money, and send it off to ASI, I would have it chambered to the 6.8 SPC. I bet it would be a sweet shooter. Just my .02.
    A armed person is a citizen-An unarmed person is a future victim.

I had three mini-14s in 223 and they could NOT hold a group better than 5-6 inchs at 100 yards even with experienced shooters in a Highpowered Rifle Match couldn't...
    save the hassel, time, money and self loathing after range time and just get the Ar-15 ...or hold out for the 416 :D :D :D

Mini-14: No thanks. If I had to have something that looked PC, maybe. If I stumbled onto a really good deal for one, maybe. If they were more accurate out of the box, and reliable 20 and 30 round magazines (also known as "ruger magazines") were affordable and plentiful, I'd probably own one right now.

Mini-30: No thanks. For a 7.62x39 rifle, I'd be more likely to get an AK thats just as accurate and relible and have enough money left over to buy a case of wolf, and enough magazines to empty that case.

Not out of the box accurate, expensive mags.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

i have a mini-30 that shoots under 3" a 100 yards with the only changes being a muzzle brake & a recoil buffer a 3x9 simmons & a heavier hammer spring.(to shoot that wolf stuff reliably) this is with the 154 soft points tho

In case none of you folks ever noticed. The A-Team used mini's almost exclusively on the TV show and I never saw them shoot a single person. They were only able to manage to hit area targets, like cars and stuff.

I had both, and they are just not accurate. When Isaw how good my SKS paratrooper performed, I sold the mini 30. As soon as I can afford an A2 style AR, the mini 14 will be gone as well.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Trade-offs

I've had several Mini 14 models (Blued GB, Stainless Ranch, Stainless 580) and no Mini 30s. Agree with most of the previous posts with a few exceptions. Here's a "generalized" thought or two...

A Mini 14 won't win an accuracy match against an AR-15 but will beat most AK variants. An AR will be inoperative from firing-residue, lack of lubrication, grit, grime & gravel well before a Mini. An AK will still be running after both others have gummed-up & stopped. Long-distance varmint hunters seldom use Minis, ARs or AKs. Almost EVERY bush snowmobile in Alaska & Canada has a Stainless Mini strapped on somewhere. I've never seen either an AR or an AK strapped to a snowmobile (EXTRA rough conditions). You can "gunsmith" a Mini to be almost as accurate as a service grade AR but you'll spend enough to buy the AR. Minis "fit" most conventional rifle shooters better than an AK or an AR. Minis attract less attention and are less threatening to the non-gun public than an AK or AR. New ones (580 series) are guaranteed 2 moa from the factory but the sights make it tough to prove.

Most rifles do something well. No rifle does EVERYTHING well. Life is a trade-off of careful compromises. Thankfully, my Porsche won't do what my 4x4 will & vise-versa. Ruger's Mini 14 is great at being what it is...a Mini 14. Enjoy its versatility & accept its limitations, or accept the compromises of ANOTHER rifle selection.

I have to disagree with the above about ARs, they are very reliable.

Mini's are worthless IMO, crappy groups and for $100-$200 you can get an AR that is 10 times the rifle. (I used to have a mini so I know)
    Stay away unless your in Cali and its all you can get.

December Guns & Ammo mag. has an article on new Mini 14 called the Target. It has an adjustable Barrel Resonater (weight) that inproves the accuracy. It also has a laminated target stock. Nice looking rifle. Grouped at 100 yds an average of about 1.25". Great improvement over normal.

I didn't imply that AR style rifles are unreliable. I said that GENERALLY the Mini will run longer being neglected than will an AR & that an AK will run longer being neglected than either of them. And yes, for $100-200 more you can buy the AR. But for $200 less you can buy the AK. My whole point was the compromise between the most common alternatives. I have nothing against AR's. Personally? I like FN/FAL rifles better than ANY of 'em mentioned above. But that wasn't the question.

I really like my mini. It shoots almost MOA groups, will process ANYTHING I feed it and does so without obsessive maintenance. The fact that you have to tinker with it to get accuracy somehow reminds me of the 1911 .45ACP

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links