Defensive Carry banner

How do you guys feel about the Ruger Mini 30 and Mini 14?

7K views 38 replies 28 participants last post by  Lawrence Keeney 
#1 ·
I'm just curious how you all feel about these products.

When I first heard about it, I thought the Ruger Mini 30 was the answer to my prayers for a good 7.62x39 chambered semiautomatic rifle, but the more I hear from people about them, the less certain I am.

All Mini 30/14 owners I've known that were happy with them had gunsmithing done, everything from simple adjustments to a lot of expensive work done, usually including a rebarreling.

The lack of factory support in aftermarket accessories kind of stinks too, and I have it on good authority after they get warmed up they are not as accurate as they should be. I personally would be nice and happy with 10 round magazines if they would only make some.

On the bright side, I have heard it is rock solid. Well it is a Ruger after all. When I think Ruger I think of raw unrefined strength and durability. There is a lot of aftermarket stuff out there even if it's not factory, and the Mini 30/14 come in calibers I can appreciate. I know guys who base their entire gun collection around a pair of Mini 14s.

When I considered what it was I would actually do with such a gun, I quickly decided a decent SKS was a better way to go. I think it's actually a comparable product for a lot less money.

I don't think it's a bad gun at all, I just don't see why I should pay so much for such a thing and have to put up with such hassles. I honestly fail to see why a good SKS is not comparable to a Mini 30.

For the record I know lots of people with bolt action Rugers and I've known a couple of people who favored their single shot rifles. I actually really like their rifles overall, I just don't care for these models.

I'd be interested to hear from someone who has had good or bad fortune with either rifle or experience handling, shooting, or selling them.

See less See more
#27 ·
I have to disagree with the above about ARs, they are very reliable.

Mini's are worthless IMO, crappy groups and for $100-$200 you can get an AR that is 10 times the rifle. (I used to have a mini so I know)
Stay away unless your in Cali and its all you can get.

#28 ·
December Guns & Ammo mag. has an article on new Mini 14 called the Target. It has an adjustable Barrel Resonater (weight) that inproves the accuracy. It also has a laminated target stock. Nice looking rifle. Grouped at 100 yds an average of about 1.25". Great improvement over normal.

#29 ·
I didn't imply that AR style rifles are unreliable. I said that GENERALLY the Mini will run longer being neglected than will an AR & that an AK will run longer being neglected than either of them. And yes, for $100-200 more you can buy the AR. But for $200 less you can buy the AK. My whole point was the compromise between the most common alternatives. I have nothing against AR's. Personally? I like FN/FAL rifles better than ANY of 'em mentioned above. But that wasn't the question.

#35 ·
i have a ss mini-30 that i totally enjoy. as you said, minor improvements to make it work a little better. wollf springs, buffers, flash hider/muzzle brake,(whatever is pc now) & a leupold 3x9x40 vxII that i consider the best addition so far. consistently shoots 2" or less @ 100 yds with quality ammo. hot or cold this thing shoots. i'm sure others may have horror stories on their mini's accuarcy but mine is a proven performer. rock solid dependability & it just plain looks good. i love mine for what it's worth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.