Defensive Carry banner

How do you guys feel about the Ruger Mini 30 and Mini 14?

7K views 38 replies 28 participants last post by  Lawrence Keeney 
#1 ·
I'm just curious how you all feel about these products.

When I first heard about it, I thought the Ruger Mini 30 was the answer to my prayers for a good 7.62x39 chambered semiautomatic rifle, but the more I hear from people about them, the less certain I am.

All Mini 30/14 owners I've known that were happy with them had gunsmithing done, everything from simple adjustments to a lot of expensive work done, usually including a rebarreling.

The lack of factory support in aftermarket accessories kind of stinks too, and I have it on good authority after they get warmed up they are not as accurate as they should be. I personally would be nice and happy with 10 round magazines if they would only make some.

On the bright side, I have heard it is rock solid. Well it is a Ruger after all. When I think Ruger I think of raw unrefined strength and durability. There is a lot of aftermarket stuff out there even if it's not factory, and the Mini 30/14 come in calibers I can appreciate. I know guys who base their entire gun collection around a pair of Mini 14s.

When I considered what it was I would actually do with such a gun, I quickly decided a decent SKS was a better way to go. I think it's actually a comparable product for a lot less money.

I don't think it's a bad gun at all, I just don't see why I should pay so much for such a thing and have to put up with such hassles. I honestly fail to see why a good SKS is not comparable to a Mini 30.

For the record I know lots of people with bolt action Rugers and I've known a couple of people who favored their single shot rifles. I actually really like their rifles overall, I just don't care for these models.

I'd be interested to hear from someone who has had good or bad fortune with either rifle or experience handling, shooting, or selling them.

See less See more
#4 ·
Mini-14

ebd10 said:
...out of the box. By the time you get done tinkering with it, you could have invested in an AR-15 or a decent Kalashnikov clone and had a better rifle. Strictly a "spraygun".
Well, sort of. I have an original factory folding stock Mini-14. It feeds military "ball" ammo, just fine. But it often jams with .223 soft tip or exposed lead ammo. It's "combat accurate." Meaning I can run an IDPA assault course where the ranges are no more than say 50-75 yards and I'm shooting on the move and from strange positions. The little lock (stud) mechanism that secures the folded stock is pretty fragile, but Ruger was real good about repairs.

#5 ·
OTOH I have never liked the 7.62x39 round, so I'd never buy a mini-30. But I'd love to see one in .308. I guess they did make one of those. It's called the M1A SOCOM 16.

#8 ·
The old Mini-14 I had way back in UK (HAD - operative word!) - was IIRC a 182-xxxxx and was actually quite a good shooting rifle, as they go.

I now have a 185-xxxxx and tho it's ''OK'' it sure ain't anything to write home about. However - I never did and nor do I now expect a lot from these guns. True enough - whippy barrel - crap grouping (always at least one flier in five that ruins a group!) ..... but I like the Garrand action - it is pretty reliable and as a shortish range piece, it does have some acceptable usefullness.

If I put cheapo Russian thru this one it keyholes even at shorter ranges .... feed it tho Americal Eagle or homeloads and it is acceptable. Like others have said - what's the point in throwing big bucks at one of these, when for higher dollar - you can get into AR territory.

#9 ·
I like my AR way better. And you can get AR's in .308 too 7.62X51 Nato that is. Mini's are ok , but not all that accurate and hi cap mags are expensive, compared to AR mags. Maybe consider a SU 16 keltec if .223 is a choice, and ya wanna save some dough.

#10 ·
The Minis are pretty good for what they are .. I've got the AC556 type weapons, and in Semi auto mode, they're VERY accurate in my opinion. in 3 shot burst, it's a little more difficult to control muzzle rise, due to the light weight barrel. In full auto, it's more like spray and pray. I would say, that if you see one, grab a Ruger GB20 (the semi auto version of the AC556) it has the M16 style flash hider and Bayo lug.. VERY desirable in either blue or stanless..The rifle looks like a minuture M14...The 7.62X39 is a great deer or medium Game rifle. The Garand style bolt and action is battle tested, plust the cartridge is good for hunting and also personal protection when need be.. Just my own opinions though :biggrin:
As for retail sales of Mini 14's....they DO find a home, but mainly when it's a particular shooter that's looking for exactly that type of Ruger. They are a bit pricey for Rugers.

#11 ·
Early Mini 14

I had a really early one. It did not have any function problems.
A machinist locally installed a flash hider on it.
It was OK ~ I traded it off after having had it for about 2 years.
I don't really miss it.
If you can buy a used one at a good price...it would be a fairly decent and inexpensive "Emergency...Keep It In The Trunk Gun"
Ammo for it is cheap & that's a plus.
Lots of "add on" stuff "out there" for it if you are into tricking out rifles.

#12 ·
For the price, the 30 is uninspiring. I'd buy a Saiga (even at inflated no longer available prices) first or an AK and throw the $$$ saved into mags and ammo.

The Mini 14 to me stands out in on particular instance at the range with my Carbon 15 AR-pistol and a couple guys with Minis were there. They couldn't believe you could hit anything with something that belched that much fire, and I watched them spray all over the same berm I was shooting at at 100m. An informal shootoff ensued. The Carbon 15 pistol, with horrible little ghost ring sights, smoked both the scoped Mini and the iron sighted one - in both my hands and the other guys present.

At that moment, I understood why the A-Team never hit anything with theirs.

#13 ·
I know this is an old post but I figured I'd ask my questions anyway. If you could get an older blued Mini-14 for $300 and send it to Accuracy Systems Inc, totallying about the same price as a good AR, would you? I have the opportunity to buy my great uncles Mini. It's in great shape and everybody that sends theirs to ASI says they are awesome.

I like ARs but I also like to avoid being like everybody else. I like the Garand action and styling, but want a .223 SHTF rifle. I know if I got an AR I wouldn't be able to help myself from buying all sorts off add ons like optics, Surefire lights, Vltor and Tango Down products. All I really want it to add an EoTech 512 to and accuratized Mini-14.

#14 ·
It's for SHTF? What's your life WORTH?

[QUOTE='75scout]I know this is an old post but I figured I'd ask my questions anyway. If you could get an older blued Mini-14 for $300 and send it to Accuracy Systems Inc, totallying about the same price as a good AR, would you? I have the opportunity to buy my great uncles Mini. It's in great shape and everybody that sends theirs to ASI says they are awesome.

I like ARs but I also like to avoid being like everybody else. I like the Garand action and styling, but want a .223 SHTF rifle. I know if I got an AR I wouldn't be able to help myself from buying all sorts off add ons like optics, Surefire lights, Vltor and Tango Down products. All I really want it to add an EoTech 512 to and accuratized Mini-14.[/QUOTE]

I have an example from the 1970's with an original factory folding stock and I've not had any problems with mine....except that it's not terribly accurate (certainly not as accurate as an AR) and it's a little bit tougher to field strip.

I stand to inherit an older (waaay pre-ban) CAR-15 so I'll hold on for that. OR I may go ahead and get a flattop M4 style with an ACOG or possibly a Holosight.

I think the terms "accurized" and "Mini-14" can't be put together with any degree of success. You want good combat accuracy for a SHTF scenario? Of course you want the same in reliability, I'd go with an AR for both; if only for availability of parts and commonality of ammo.

Still in a REAL SHTF situation, I'm wanting 7.62x51 and that means M1A SOCOM...but that goes along with my M1A Super Match that's already a buildup by ROBAR. The SOCOM is for CQB with an availability to REACH out further than any 5.56mm. Just my .02.

#15 ·
:congrats: I was reading in one of the magazines the other day that the new Mini-14s are very accurate. These come with composite stocks too.

#16 ·
I have had a mini 30 since 1986, and had no problems with it. It is my primary rifle house gun, and backs up the Winchester Defender. 6 20 round mags make for a lot of house defense...

#17 ·
Yes but I don't have $1600 dollars to spend. I wouldn't even think about buying a new one, the price is a little too high for the poor accuracy. But I can get a good deal on very good condition mini and send it to ASI for the same or less than your average AR.

#19 ·
I feel that the Mini 14's and 30's are fine for what you paid 5 or more years ago. To me they are somewhat overpriced nowdaze.

If you did your research as to what you were gettin' for your money and were comfortable with that, then you got a good deal.

Also the application--> to have a weapon that ranchers,farmers,and others that do alot of work in the "back 40",these weapons held enough ammo of a powerful enough loading,and were accurate enough to take care of preditors,dispatching wounded animals,and self defense.

This, coupled with ease of opperation and the fact that you could have loaded mags in the truck without inserting them in the weapon or loaded mags in the weapon without having a loaded chamber,made these close to ideal. Also for fireing from a vech,the OAL of these weapons made them very handy.
And the low recoil was somewhat a plus.

They wern't designed to take the place of any brand of 7.62X51. But who would want to carry a 43(or more)inch FN around in their P/U truck. -------

#20 ·
I like the mini-14/30. I like the looks and the action is more reliable than the AR platform. If i had the chance that 75Scout has to purchace one for a little money, and send it off to ASI, I would have it chambered to the 6.8 SPC. I bet it would be a sweet shooter. Just my .02.

#21 ·
I had three mini-14s in 223 and they could NOT hold a group better than 5-6 inchs at 100 yards even with experienced shooters in a Highpowered Rifle Match couldn't...
save the hassel, time, money and self loathing after range time and just get the Ar-15 ...or hold out for the 416 :D :D :D

#22 ·
Mini-14: No thanks. If I had to have something that looked PC, maybe. If I stumbled onto a really good deal for one, maybe. If they were more accurate out of the box, and reliable 20 and 30 round magazines (also known as "ruger magazines") were affordable and plentiful, I'd probably own one right now.

Mini-30: No thanks. For a 7.62x39 rifle, I'd be more likely to get an AK thats just as accurate and relible and have enough money left over to buy a case of wolf, and enough magazines to empty that case.

#25 ·
In case none of you folks ever noticed. The A-Team used mini's almost exclusively on the TV show and I never saw them shoot a single person. They were only able to manage to hit area targets, like cars and stuff.:biggrin2:

I had both, and they are just not accurate. When Isaw how good my SKS paratrooper performed, I sold the mini 30. As soon as I can afford an A2 style AR, the mini 14 will be gone as well.

#26 ·
Trade-offs

I've had several Mini 14 models (Blued GB, Stainless Ranch, Stainless 580) and no Mini 30s. Agree with most of the previous posts with a few exceptions. Here's a "generalized" thought or two...

A Mini 14 won't win an accuracy match against an AR-15 but will beat most AK variants. An AR will be inoperative from firing-residue, lack of lubrication, grit, grime & gravel well before a Mini. An AK will still be running after both others have gummed-up & stopped. Long-distance varmint hunters seldom use Minis, ARs or AKs. Almost EVERY bush snowmobile in Alaska & Canada has a Stainless Mini strapped on somewhere. I've never seen either an AR or an AK strapped to a snowmobile (EXTRA rough conditions). You can "gunsmith" a Mini to be almost as accurate as a service grade AR but you'll spend enough to buy the AR. Minis "fit" most conventional rifle shooters better than an AK or an AR. Minis attract less attention and are less threatening to the non-gun public than an AK or AR. New ones (580 series) are guaranteed 2 moa from the factory but the sights make it tough to prove.

Most rifles do something well. No rifle does EVERYTHING well. Life is a trade-off of careful compromises. Thankfully, my Porsche won't do what my 4x4 will & vise-versa. Ruger's Mini 14 is great at being what it is...a Mini 14. Enjoy its versatility & accept its limitations, or accept the compromises of ANOTHER rifle selection.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.