Would you trust the 870 express HD with you life like you would the standard 870's

This is a discussion on Would you trust the 870 express HD with you life like you would the standard 870's within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; similar to my last post but would you trust the 870 express HD with you life, like some would the standard 870's just curious I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you trust the 870 express HD with you life like you would the standard 870's

Would you trust the 870 express HD with you life like you would the standard 870's

similar to my last post but would you trust the 870 express HD with you life, like some would the standard 870's just curious I have read the replies back and looking at the thread about the FBI Standard shotgun I keep hearing about the 870 but not the express, just wondering don't want to wasted my hard earned money. and if i did decide on the express are any changes necessary thanks

2. Remove Ads

I have a 870 express HD that I use as my home defence weapon of choice. I have trained with it and trust that if i have to do my job, it will do it's. I've found that modifications are not really needed with the exception of possibly a light.
    Get one, train and shoot frequently, and hope you never have to use it.

IIRC, the essential differences are 1)that the lever arms in the Express line are MIM, not forged, 2) the stock is not the heavyduty Speedfeed stock, and 3) the trigger group is plastic, not metal.

I'm not fanatical about avoiding MIM, and a plastic trigger guard is fine by me. I do plan to get a SF youth stock, as the Remington stock feels substantially more fragile.

Administrator
    Yes... for most applications. If it was oing to be a standard home defense gun, yes. If it is going to be a true working gun, maybe I would spring for a "P" model.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Yep
    Carry 24-7 or guess right.
    NRA Life Member/TSRA Life Member
    Texas CHL Instructor. www.pdtraining.us

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    I have a basic 870 express "turkey gun" that I'm currently
    setting up as a HD shotty.

I've put lots of rounds through it , and when I stripped it down
    to refinish it there was NO excessive wear on any of the internals.

With the right stock set and a mag.ext. , it should do just fine.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

VIP Member
    I do trust my 870 Express HD as my home-defense shotgun.

VIP Member
    Mechanically, they are the same. The other models just have better finishes & chromed bolts rather than blued/parkerized ones.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

I've put a couple thousand skeet/birdshot shells through mine and have yet to have a failure of any kind.

I know its not the 000 I load for home defence but I trust it to go bang whenever I pull the trigger.
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    My 870 is set up for deer hunting, mostly. When it is not deer season, it has a 19" barrel attached and is part of my home defense system. First 2 out the tube will be 00 buck, followed up with a box of slugs. I only have 1 870, I call it the squad leader, it supervises a team of 5 Mossberg 500's. Yes, I trust it to protect me.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

My 870 Express Magnum IS my HD shotgun. If I didn't trust it completely, I would still be using my Wingmaster. They are not good looking, but they will get the job done without fail.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I'd trust it without hesitation! A more sobering thought is it costs less than the Deluxe 870. Count on having your shotgun confiscated for "evidence" for six months to a year after a shooting. Then you get to petition the courts (at your expense) to get your property back, assuming you are still legally allowed to own it. Having the express held hostage isn't as painful as the more expensive Deluxe 870. Ditto on the "hope you don't have to use it."
    Last edited by sniper58; August 2nd, 2007 at 11:47 PM. Reason: omission
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

I too trust it without hesitation...this is one of our HD guns (one for me one for my wife)....loaded with Federal Low Recoil Tactical Buck.

It's on duty at my house. I upgraded the stocK to the Special ops, I like that it absorbs the recoil and is adjustable in case my wife works up the nerve to shoot it. Being 5' and 100 #s she is a bit intimdated by it. She shoots the rest of the guns though.

I have an 870 - not the HD, but I think it's the step down (bare bones express w/ wood furniture - no upgrades). The ONLY problem I've ever had with it is it froze/locked up one time duck hunting. The conditions were absolutely and truly miserable and I wasn't that surprised. A quick clear and clean of water, mud and god-knows-what, and a can of WD40 prevented that from ever re-ocurring. Every other situation I've put it through - thousands of rounds - not a hiccup. I keep it cleaned and lubed, and well worked out. For a pure home defense gun it's great. Like sixto said, if it was a working gun, maybe go higher-end, but it doesn't sleet, snow or freeze in your home. Just my $.02.

cw

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links