Shotgun consternation

Shotgun consternation

This is a discussion on Shotgun consternation within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been debating with myself between an 870 of some sort and a Mossberg 590 for a truck gun. The Winchester 120 Ranger I have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun consternation

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar

Shotgun consternation

I've been debating with myself between an 870 of some sort and a Mossberg 590 for a truck gun. The Winchester 120 Ranger I have in there now just has a bead sight, and I'd rather have rifle sights for the longer ranges I might theoretically encounter out in the world. Also, the Winchester Ranger was the budget gun of the line, so I' like something a bit more rugged. The Winchester is still a good gun and will move to the bedside.

Now, my local gun store (Jensen Arms, for those in the area) advertises the Benelli Nova Tactical with Ghost Ring Sights for $320.

Sigh. Benelli hasn't even been on my radar, and now I find they may be a serious contender. Anyone have and advice about this gun as compared to the 870 or 590?
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

The debate rages on...

Quote Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post
    I've been debating with myself between an 870 of some sort and a Mossberg 590 for a truck gun. The Winchester 120 Ranger I have in there now just has a bead sight, and I'd rather have rifle sights for the longer ranges I might theoretically encounter out in the world. Also, the Winchester Ranger was the budget gun of the line, so I' like something a bit more rugged. The Winchester is still a good gun and will move to the bedside.

Now, my local gun store (Jensen Arms, for those in the area) advertises the Benelli Nova Tactical with Ghost Ring Sights for $320.

Sigh. Benelli hasn't even been on my radar, and now I find they may be a serious contender. Anyone have and advice about this gun as compared to the 870 or 590?
    I'll take $.98 change from this dollar before this merges with another thread...

I think you'll find loyalists on both sides. I think the best advice is to get what works best for you. The manufacturing / quality control for one company is definitely better than the other, but I won't say which...you decide. Go to the gun store, heft both (better yet...find someone at the range that owns both and shoot 'em both).

One thing that is suprising...The Benelli Nova (lower end) is NOT well regarded by ANY of my clients. Unless you plan to spend $1700 on an M4 (which is an amazing gun, in it's own right), go for a Mossie or a Remington.
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Van View Post
    I'll take $.98 change from this dollar before this merges with another thread...
    same goes for my advice
    I'm, personally, not a fan of the Nova...I think that Benelli makes excellent guns...I think that the nova doesn't really fit in with the quality of some of their other guns but then the price difference is VERY large as Scot pointed out.
    Between the 870 and 590....that's just a matter of personal choice.
    I like the safety location on the 870 as it allows the use of a pistol gripped stock (with a full stock as well..not JUST the pistol grip) which I prefer for HD use.

Quote Originally Posted by raysheen View Post
    same goes for my advice
    I'm, personally, not a fan of the Nova...I think that Benelli makes excellent guns...I think that the nova doesn't really fit in with the quality of some of their other guns but then the price difference is VERY large as Scot pointed out.
    Between the 870 and 590....that's just a matter of personal choice.
    I like the safety location on the 870 as it allows the use of a pistol gripped stock (with a full stock as well..not JUST the pistol grip) which I prefer for HD use.
    Good point about the safety, Raysheen. Since the safetly on a M'Berg is on top of the receiver, reaching it w/ a pistol grip buttstock is tougher. Still, if you train to thumb it off properly, I suppose it would become as automatic as anything else...

I wanted to reiterate how BLOWN AWAY I am by the Benelli M4. If I could walk in the back door with a $1700 HD shotgun without my wife putting my clothes in the front yard, I would. And somehow, I have to find a way to buy that Perazzi someday...

maybe the kids don't really need college...
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

VIP Member
    I'm glad to see this thread, and not meaning to hijack the OP, but I've been tactical shotgun shopping too, and I see the mentions about the M4. I havent seen an M4, but have looked at the M2. I'm going with a semi-auto. Any opinions? M2? M4?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

yes the M4 is a truly amazing gun...it just "feels" like quality...but alas...I am too poor maybe I'll add it to my someday list!

Administrator
    I would not buy a Nova with your money... That $320 price tag can be broken down this way. $300 for the name, and $20 for the gun.
    It rattles, it feels like it was made by Fisher Price and any "extras" or bolt ons you want to add are very spendy.
    I would stick with an 870, then the 590. Those are the best deals in a HD pump gun out there.
    "Just blame Sixto"

870 vs 590...chocolate or vanilla...I've owned both ..a marine 590 and sold it awhile back for some stupid unknown reason....now own an 870 pump..just because shotguns are fun to shoot. i find the 870 'smoother' than the 590...both are excellent reliable weapons..as always just a matter of choice , both about the same $$$; to me shotguns are are fun guns; for true self defense/home protection.my handguns and .223 AR 15 for distance are the best solutions

Benelli is way overpriced as far as I'm concerned.
    But, back to the original question:
    I went to a store and picked up every Mossberg and Remington model.
    I went in to buy a Mossberg originaly.
    But after checking both out, I went with the Remy 870 hands down.
    It just felt more stable and better made.
    XD9SC, S&W 637
    Taurus 85, SKS
    Nevada CCW
    Utah CCW

A good friend of mine back home has a Nova. He loves it. FWIW.

Regarding M2 vs. M4

AKAIK, the M2 is just an M1 with the new recoil reducing stock. I have no experience with that stock, but I do have an M1 and I'm thoroughly impressed with it. Reliability, controllability, quality - all great. Chrome lined bore with screw in interchangeable choke tubes. Chrome plated bolt. There's a long list I'll just stop now but its in a completely different league from the 870s etc..

I had the M4 issued at my old command. I was not impressed. It looks "Tacticool" and that's about it. I don't know if the civilian ones have the collapsible stock, but that thing sucks. Right where you need material to get a good cheek weld, there is nothing. Right up against your cheekbone is a sharp corner. It is uncomfortable to shoot. The action is very slow compared to the M1 (probably M2 also). The gas assisted operation is totally unneccessary IMO unless you plan on shooting non-lethal munitions. With my M1 I can fire double taps. With the M4 you have to wait for it to cycle.

For the OP: I'd go with the 870.

Austin

Get the best of all worlds, and get the Benelli M3. The expected Benelli action, with the option of pump, if your load of the day is too soft or too hot(?!?!) for the inertia system. Selling that hurt me more than anything!

Assuming you have the "average guys' budget", though, I would vote for the 870. Having had a Moss 590, and a 500, and a couple of 870s, the 870 is just a little nicer,with more bells and whistles available, if you want them. Also note- you are stuck with the capacity of the gun you buy, with Moss; Rem, you can add or remove an extension.

I've seen what a LOT of 870s look and work like after rattling around and being neglected in stand-up racks in patrol cars for years. I have seen what happened when they tried to do the same thing with some aluminum receiver-ed Mossbergs (500s?) in short order.
    There is no contest between those two...get the 870. Accessories, parts, twin action bars and there is a good reason they outnumber the others in police service, IMHO.
    Don't know anything from personal experience about the Benelli's.
    What Would Gumby Do?

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    I wouldn't get a benelli nova. There is too much bad mojo with those. However, the super nova (there is a difference between the two) I have found to be a heck of a shotgun and is worth the less than a hundred dollars more to upgrade.

Of course, an 870 has always been a good gun. Just my opinion.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

I have a 30 year old 870 in my safe that I have shot a bunch. If you bet me a million dollars I couldn't shoot 1000 rounds flawless through a gun, it would be the one I picked. Period.

I own a moss 590.

I bought it in 1986 and fired 1000's of shells and it never once failed.

The perfect home defense weapon in my opinion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links