AR Lowers: Opinions & Prices

This is a discussion on AR Lowers: Opinions & Prices within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am giving it a great deal of thought and I am planning on postponing all other aquisitions untill I get an AR lower receiver ...

Thread: AR Lowers: Opinions & Prices

VIP Member

I am giving it a great deal of thought and I am planning on postponing all other aquisitions untill I get an AR lower receiver as a starter for a new future project and just in case a new Assault Weapons ban comes into life. I eventually want an AR in my collection but here is the deal: Tight budget which means a long time project as I go along getting parts. I know nothing about ARs (plan to inmerse in it) but I know the Lower is the basic starter point not to mention the FFL part.

If you AR folks are kind enough to give me a few pointers regarding ease of assembling parts v. buying a complete, overal quality and price, I'd appreciate it.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    I recommend researching the views of Pat Rogers, Greg Sullivan, Clint Smith, etc...

I'd avoid looking for advice from the interweb (or gunshop) average end user regarding a "fighting" rifle....

Good luck with your build and progress reports would be great...
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    BTW, I PM'd you ....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

could you pm me as well? interesting question i might be interested in also

Tactics has stripped lowers for $125

clicky

What are you looking for in the gun? a true budget AR that performs well and is mostly accurate? a "working" gun? something in the sub-MOA range?
    Assuming you just want an inexpensive yet good quality AR then I would suggest building one.
    I like Spikes Tactical lowers, but any forged AR lower these days is pretty good quality and many are made in the same factories. Superior Arms, Stag Arms, Doublestar, Lonestar, Mega, POF, etc will all give you a good product...prices will range from $89 to well into the $200s for a stripped lower.

All lowers are generally built to a standard. Of course, quality may vary. I would be a little fearful of a sub $100 lower, and I wouldn't pay more than $150.

As for how hard it is to build one, well I built my lower in about an hour, with the help of my 10 year old son. It's like Lego's. Insert this part into that hole. Easy.

For the upper, I went with a already complete upper, I got mine from Rock River Arms. I didn't have the tools or the knowledge to do the head spacing and stuff.

I have a bare bones 16" HBAR with a collapsible stock for ~$550 in parts and $50 in Maryland transfer fees.

ar15.com has a ton of great information, if you can find it.

As already stated, most forged lowers are comparable. I have used 4 stripped Mega lowers that were about $90 and had zero problems with any of them. If fact they are made in the same factory as some of the big names (don't remember which).
    The parts that go into the lower are a different story however and I would go with a known quality manufacturer such as RRA, CMT or LMT.
    Hoplophile

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    FYI - If you pay more than $130 for a standard stripped lower , you're
    paying for a rollmark.

A decent quality lower internal parts kit will run you about $60.

Most of the cost is in the upper,barrel,and specialized furniture.

A basic 16" or 20" complete upper half from a Name Mfg. will run you
    $500 and UP.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

VIP Member
    To everybody, thanks! Doing the math as we speak and trying to convince the wife that no, I am not buying a whole AR at once and that this project will take MONTHS until I hunt and buy all the parts on the cheap...she ain't buying
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

I was planing to go the same route as you. The candy store I frequent put it to me this way. You may have a lower but if the ban dose happen most all the other parts will go sky high.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

As has been stated, most lowers are forged from the same or similar type of aircraft and aerospace grade aluminum. Personally I wont build another AR with anything other than LMT or RRA lowers and uppers. Barrels are another thing and I'm a fan of the Noveske line and Wilson barrels with no more than a 1:7 twist and if available polygonal rifling with a length of no more than 16"

I fail to see the utility in anything shorter than 16 inches. Unless your a Navy SEAL and securing the bulk head of freighter off coast of Syria. I would not go with a 20" barrel unless your attempting to clone an SPR type target master. Other wise stick to the 16" barrel with a 1:7 twist rate. Stainless is great but will cost more than I think you want to spend. Chrome moly and chrome lined are a must, but most barrels are of this alloy and lining.

Trigger parts, stocks, grips, rail systems, optics, mounts, BUIS are all going to take your rifle well into the range of your pocket book that might not expect. I recently purchased another Aimpoint CompM3 with the LaRue Tactical Cantilever mount and the Aimpoint 3X Magnifier with the LaRue Mag mount and just those optics and mounts alone cost over $1200. You get the point.

Do a lot of homework, research, and decide exactly what you want this rifle to do for you. Your end user configuration should be a sign of your personal tastes as well as your willingness to show the need for simple utility.

Good Luck !
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

VIP Member
    Thanks and Oh Yes! It is the "little things afterwards" that are making me cringe cost-wise.
    Randy Cain.

Links